The Student Room Group

I'm Wiccan! Ask me anything!

So hey, I'm back, with another AMA - oops. What can I say? I'm bored.

Wicca is a pagan religion. The main difference between Wicca and Witchcraft is that Witchcraft is a lifestyle, and Wicca is a religion - we believe in deities, and abide by guidelines, sort of like the bible but we follow it quite loosely in most cases.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you weigh the same as a duck?
Cool! I'm just getting into Wicca, it's an awesome religion. Can I ask, what deities do you worship?
Original post by UWS
Do you weigh the same as a duck?

How did you know?
What are your two favourite wiccan sabbats?
I have some wiccan friends that believe in all different traditions of wicca- british traditional, irish and dianic.
Original post by Agnesblue
Cool! I'm just getting into Wicca, it's an awesome religion. Can I ask, what deities do you worship?

Morrigan is the deity that has chosen me, about two years ago. I also worship the Wiccan god and goddess - the Horned God Cernunnos and the Triple Goddess, as well as various pantheons :>
I only really do deity work with Morrigan though
Also, where do you mainly go for research? What books have been helpful for you?
Reply 7
why?
Original post by Agnesblue
Also, where do you mainly go for research? What books have been helpful for you?

My favourite books are The Witches Journal by Selene Silverwind and Wiccapedia by Shawn Robbins/Leanna Greenaway. The Crystal Bible is another good one. I think the best way I research is on discord through mutual servers, and there are some good online resources too!
Original post by gjd800
why?

Why am I Wiccan? It's the same reason someone is Christian or Buddhist. It's my belief, my faith.
Reply 10
Original post by WanderStruck
Why am I Wiccan? It's the same reason someone is Christian or Buddhist. It's my belief, my faith.

Yes, but that's not really an answer—why is it your belief?
Did u go to Hogwarts?
Original post by gjd800
Yes, but that's not really an answer—why is it your belief?

Because I believe in it? Because I like the morals, the confidence and happiness it brings me? That's an interesting question, and a hard one to answer other than it's my belief lmao.
Yep, i'm a 5th year actually
What are the basic principles of this religion? Like, do you have a 10 commandments sort of thing?
Reply 15
Because I believe in it? Because I like the morals, the confidence and happiness it brings me? That's an interesting question, and a hard one to answer other than it's my belief lmao.

Those are decent startpoints. But I do think belief ought to be justified in some way. Is there some sort of soteriology? Christians are Christians because they hedge their bets on salvation (well...), Buddhists are Buddhists because the psychology of Buddhism is meant to provide salvific reprieve from dissatisfaction etc. Does your flavour of Wicca offer something similar?
Will you be having/have had coffee today or tea?
Original post by JoshDarnIt
What are the basic principles of this religion? Like, do you have a 10 commandments sort of thing?

We have 2 main things. The Wiccan rede (The most important lines from this are: "These eight words the rede fulfil, and harm ye none, do what you will). It basically means that you can do whatever you wish, as long as you don't harm anybody doing it. The second is our way of describing karma, the Three Fold Law. This means that whatever you do comes back to you three times over, be it positive or negative.
We have 2 main things. The Wiccan rede (The most important lines from this are: "These eight words the rede fulfil, and harm ye none, do what you will). It basically means that you can do whatever you wish, as long as you don't harm anybody doing it. The second is our way of describing karma, the Three Fold Law. This means that whatever you do comes back to you three times over, be it positive or negative.

That's interesting, cheers!
Original post by gjd800
Those are decent startpoints. But I do think belief ought to be justified in some way. Is there some sort of soteriology? Christians are Christians because they hedge their bets on salvation (well...), Buddhists are Buddhists because the psychology of Buddhism is meant to provide salvific reprieve from dissatisfaction etc. Does your flavour of Wicca offer something similar?

Ah, well, our main belief is that we harm nobody, including animals and creatures. I think a lot of people, including myself, use Wicca and other forms of Paganism as a form of empowerment and self expression. Its very centred on using your inner strength to do good, and I think that brings a lot of joy to us. If that makes any sense.

Quick Reply

Latest