The Student Room Group

Access courses

Can anyone help, I’m not sure which access course to do can anyone give their experience one the ones they did
I did one in health care.
If you know what university course you want to do check their website to see what access course they’ll accept or email them if it’s not on the website. If you don’t know what university course you want to do pick a general area like science or humanities and do that but beware some universities have specific modules they want you to have done.
Original post by 17starr
Can anyone help, I’m not sure which access course to do can anyone give their experience one the ones they did

Hi there @17starr,

I did an Access to HE course in sport, but I knew I wanted to study Sports Science so that was the right choice for me.

What are you considering studying at university?

Fi :horse:
Reply 4
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @17starr,

I did an Access to HE course in sport, but I knew I wanted to study Sports Science so that was the right choice for me.

I was leaning towards sciencey type subjects, the universities I’ve looked at do accept access to HE in some of their medicine courses
Original post by 17starr
I was leaning towards sciencey type subjects, the universities I’ve looked at do accept access to HE in some of their medicine courses

Hi @17starr

Its always good to do your research on whether the universities of your choice accepts an Access course, I was going to suggest you check, so you beat me to it!

I'd contact the universities and ask what Access courses they'd recommend for the undergraduate degrees you want to study. You're then armed with up to date information on what you need for when you're researching local Access courses.

Please feel free to message any questions we can answer

Reply 6
Identify the course you want to do, then identify the universities that offer it. If it is not clear on their website what they accept, email that admissions department for some guidance. If I recall, there ARE universities that allow entry with Access to HE (for some reason Bristol rings a bell but i'm too lazy to check). The issue you have with science-based courses is that a universities view is that the Access course does not give you a good enough base-knowledge to be able to succeed. You can self-teach A-Levels at home. It's more difficult but certainly doable. There also is the option of Foundation years, however, I would try to avoid them if possible.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @17starr,

Hey I’m going to bring doing sports science at south bank university and was wondering how have you found the course.
Original post by IDK123896796
Hey I’m going to bring doing sports science at south bank university and was wondering how have you found the course.

Hi there @IDK123896796

I found I loved the course and returning to education (which I'd have laughed at if you'd told me that when i left school!) The course is intense, and mine had a practical element to pass which was fun (I'd certainly not done the long jump or high jump in years!) but the academic aspect was great and the tutors were really supportive and helpful in gaining entry to university.

Your course may be a little different but some of the modules we covered included human energy systems, coaching, and anatomy and physiology including the cardiovascular system. One fun part with the coaching was having to plan and run a sports lesson with my classmates!

I found it REALLY set me up well for university, and I found aspects of the first year if my undergraduate easier than my classmates who'd just finished A-Levels. I was far more organised than I realised too, which was possibly due to the course or maybe due to being a mature student).

My advice for the Access course is keep on top of the assignments, the course is intense and the assignments will come thick and fast and its important to ensure you know what you've done and what you need to do. And keep talking to your tutors, they're there to help you get into university and if you're struggling you need to tell them. They really won't want you to fail and will do everything they can to help you.

Please message any questions if there's anything more specific I can help answer for you

Original post by DCDCo
There also is the option of Foundation years, however, I would try to avoid them if possible.

And why?
I did an Access to HE: Biomedical sciences, I really enjoyed mine, it was all biology and chemistry.
Original post by ElNiñoo
I did an Access to HE: Biomedical sciences, I really enjoyed mine, it was all biology and chemistry.

I'm planning on doing that same course or perhaps the Medicine and Bio-Sciences one. How did you find it and did you previously sit A Levels before the diploma? How hard was it to get accepted into the access course?

Cheers
Original post by jungshook
I'm planning on doing that same course or perhaps the Medicine and Bio-Sciences one. How did you find it and did you previously sit A Levels before the diploma? How hard was it to get accepted into the access course?

Cheers

I did not sit A-levels, only an NVQ in Engineering before it. I found it relatively okay, it was mainly time consuming more than hard. However, there where a few times where I did struggle but having a groupchat with everyone in the class did help as you could just send a quick text if there was anything you was stuck on. It is all about breadth and depth and the quality of your presentation and writing which get you the distinctions, I found that a minimum of 3k words using all the correct scientific terminology was required for distinctions and that was for the short assignments some I wrote up to 6k words. I would recommend grabbing text books for biology, the more the better (I used 2-3).

It was easy to get onto the Access course, just a quick exam which was really easy GCSE stuff and a quick interview which was nothing but a chat.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ozzyoscy
And why?

Mostly cost. Foundation years are much, much more expensive than say studying for A-Levels at home, or completing an Access to HE course. There are lots and lots of people who have posted on here saying that after they did a foundation year at X Uni (as it was either the most convenient, or one willing to take them) that they did not want to continue studying at that university having experienced that year.

I think if you have the time/patience etc, i'd do A-Levels, IF you have to. Otherwise i'd say the preferred option should be Access to HE, as long as by doing Access to HE you are not precluded from either a) applying to the course, or b) applying to your profession post-degree.
Original post by DCDCo
Mostly cost. Foundation years are much, much more expensive than say studying for A-Levels at home, or completing an Access to HE course. There are lots and lots of people who have posted on here saying that after they did a foundation year at X Uni (as it was either the most convenient, or one willing to take them) that they did not want to continue studying at that university having experienced that year.

I think if you have the time/patience etc, i'd do A-Levels, IF you have to. Otherwise i'd say the preferred option should be Access to HE, as long as by doing Access to HE you are not precluded from either a) applying to the course, or b) applying to your profession post-degree.

Sounds like a good thing if a Foundation year prepared people for uni, even or especially if it was that uni is not for them.

Access courses can end up free, Foundation is covered by a loan you don't even pay back if you never get a well-paid job, but A Levels are paid with your own money with no financial help (unless you manage to find a physical course), and if that includes science subjects that can reach the same cost of an Access Course (several thousand).
I am looking to start doing HE in Combined Science's so that i can go on and do dietetics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending