The Student Room Group

University degree

Hi I’m really baffled on what to do. I initially applied for a law degree at uni of York firm and Uni of Hull insurance. I received my results today and got AAB but missed out on York as they needed AAA and were full for law. I’m not too keen on going to my insurance Hull as they need BBB and I think I’ve exceeded my grades so could get a better uni. After talking to York they said they could offer me a place to study either a Accounting, Business Finance and Management degree or Business and Management degree which I’m interested in both. After having to speak to someone (parent) today at results day who studied a law degree they advised me towards not studying law as the profession is not doing as well now and going downhill with less pay whereas accounting or business is more stable. This is now giving me second thoughts on what degree to study. I have studied business and finance as part of my A levels which I did find interesting but I don’t know much about the degrees and I’m not too good at maths either but I’ll be willing to work hard. I have been reserved a place to study Accounting, Business Finance and Management degree at York and have been told that in the first two weeks I could change the degree to Business and Management degree if I didn’t like but I’ve only got till tomorrow morning to finalise it so please could anyone give me advice on what to do. Should I find a better uni through clearing and continue to study law or go for the Accounting, Business Finance and Management Degree at York?
Original post by Danny442
Hi I’m really baffled on what to do. I initially applied for a law degree at uni of York firm and Uni of Hull insurance. I received my results today and got AAB but missed out on York as they needed AAA and were full for law. I’m not too keen on going to my insurance Hull as they need BBB and I think I’ve exceeded my grades so could get a better uni. After talking to York they said they could offer me a place to study either a Accounting, Business Finance and Management degree or Business and Management degree which I’m interested in both. After having to speak to someone (parent) today at results day who studied a law degree they advised me towards not studying law as the profession is not doing as well now and going downhill with less pay whereas accounting or business is more stable. This is now giving me second thoughts on what degree to study. I have studied business and finance as part of my A levels which I did find interesting but I don’t know much about the degrees and I’m not too good at maths either but I’ll be willing to work hard. I have been reserved a place to study Accounting, Business Finance and Management degree at York and have been told that in the first two weeks I could change the degree to Business and Management degree if I didn’t like but I’ve only got till tomorrow morning to finalise it so please could anyone give me advice on what to do. Should I find a better uni through clearing and continue to study law or go for the Accounting, Business Finance and Management Degree at York?

You really need to think about why you originally wanted to study law and whether this conversation you had today really is enough to make you want to not consider this.

There is little point wasting time and money studying a course you know little about and aren't really committed to. You also need to have a good think about your future career plans. Do you want to study Accounting and Management or are you just considering this because you really want to go to York?

I agree that it sounds like you are desperate to go to York not Hull :smile: Law is not an easy career to enter but at AAB, you do have the academics for it, which is part of the reason why some other people struggle to get a training contract. Have you thought about phoning some other unis that are advertising Law vacancies to see if they would accept you in Clearing if you rejected both offers. Earlier today, I know that Southampton was still advertising Law vacancies as well as Sheffield and Cardiff - there are probably many others too. You could phone them first thing in the morning if you are interested, before phoning York.

The other thing would be to see if York have any other courses in Clearing that you would prefer? Only you can say whether the course they have offered you is the most appropriate one for someone with your A levels
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte's Web
You really need to think about why you originally wanted to study law and whether this conversation you had today really is enough to make you want to not consider this.

There is little point wasting time and money studying a course you know little about and aren't really committed to. You also need to have a good think about your future career plans. Do you want to study Accounting and Management or are you just considering this because you really want to go to York?

I was thinking of going into tax or business after doing my law degree. I wasn’t really thinking of being a solicitor or barrister. But I got a 4 at GCSE maths and I’m unsure if I’ll be able to do good at the numeracy aspects of the degree.
I was thinking of going into tax or business after doing my law degree. I wasn’t really thinking of being a solicitor or barrister. But I got a 4 at GCSE maths and I’m unsure if I’ll be able to do good at the numeracy aspects of the degree.

That's something it would be worth discussing with the university. They may be able to put you in touch with some current students too so you can get an idea of the maths content.
Reply 5
They had other courses they could offer me but I chose these myself and these were the only courses I was interested. Before choosing the law degree I was initially deciding to go into them but went for law instead as I liked it more at that time last year. Now I don’t really enjoy law as much. I’m really torn
Original post by harrysbar
I agree that it sounds like you are desperate to go to York not Hull :smile: Law is not an easy career to enter but at AAB, you do have the academics for it, which is part of the reason why some other people struggle to get a training contract. Have you thought about phoning some other unis that are advertising Law vacancies to see if they would accept you in Clearing if you rejected both offers. Earlier today, I know that Southampton was still advertising Law vacancies as well as Sheffield and Cardiff - there are probably many others too. You could phone them first thing in the morning if you are interested, before phoning York.

The other thing would be to see if York have any other courses in Clearing that you would prefer? Only you can say whether the course they have offered you is the most appropriate one for someone with your A levels
They had other courses they could offer me but I chose these myself and these were the only courses I was interested. Before choosing the law degree I was initially deciding to go into them but went for law instead as I liked it more at that time last year. Now I don’t really enjoy law as much. I’m really torn

Well if you're not that keen on the idea of Law either, then I guess you may as well stick with York and try something new. Lots of students switch to other courses in the first few weeks, it is not that unusual so if Business Management is what you think you will enjoy the most, it's not a bad option to do the other course for a couple of weeks and switch if you're not enjoying it. The maths GCSE grade 4 requirement seems low, but as the uni don't require a higher grade from anyone, they must know that you don't need very high numeracy skills to cope with the course. And you would still have the option of converting to Law after your degree, if you were to becoming more interested in that career again
Reply 7
Well I’ve chosen to do accounting, business finance and management but they said that if I find it has too much maths and it is challenging then within 2 weeks they can switch me to the business and management which consists of less numeracy work. The entry requirement is normally grade 6 maths GCSE required as I studied finance they made a one off exception and gave me an offer.
Well I’ve chosen to do accounting, business finance and management but they said that if I find it has too much maths and it is challenging then within 2 weeks they can switch me to the business and management which consists of less numeracy work. The entry requirement is normally grade 6 maths GCSE required as I studied finance they made a one off exception and gave me an offer.

Personally I would have felt happier choosing the Business and management course from the start, knowing that there wouldn't be too much maths involved. But it's up to you if the other course sounds more interesting and you can't lose really since it seems so easy to switch between the two
Reply 9
But what could one do with a business and management degree or go into. Isn’t like the accounting one a lot better as I could go into accounting. But should I rule out law completely? Or check if other unis have it in clearing? I keep having second thoughts.
But what could one do with a business and management degree or go into. Isn’t like the accounting one a lot better as I could go into accounting. But should I rule out law completely? Or check if other unis have it in clearing? I keep having second thoughts.

So I see :biggrin: Well try the accounting one first then as agreed, and switch if necessary.

You said you didn't want to be a solicitor or barrister anyway and weren't enjoying Law anymore so I think it might be better not to study it after all....maybe going into Clearing was actually a blessing in disguise? You need to reflect on it a bit and make some more phone calls in the morning if you're not 100% happy with what York have offered you
Reply 11
Thank you so much for your advice and time. What would be the best way to look at it and reflect at it?. I think I might just go for the accounting one and change to business if necessary. They’ve just frustratingly set the deadline very close, I’ve got till tomorrow morning 10am to finalise the choice at York so I don’t think I’ll have time to make any more calls. I’m just thinking of going for something new and hopefully deal to handle numeracy.
Thank you so much for your advice and time. What would be the best way to look at it and reflect at it?. I think I might just go for the accounting one and change to business if necessary. They’ve just frustratingly set the deadline very close, I’ve got till tomorrow morning 10am to finalise the choice at York so I don’t think I’ll have time to make any more calls. I’m just thinking of going for something new and hopefully deal to handle numeracy.

Just sleep on it and talk to your family about it if you can. I don't think it's a huge gamble to change from Law to Business since you weren't that keen on Law anyway, it's just that change is always unsettling. Yes, it makes sense for you to start with the accounting course since you seem to prefer the idea of a vocational degree, but switch to business if you're not enjoying the maths element.
Legislative studies, might be tempted. Otherwise, nah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending