The Student Room Group

Roehampton or University of West London?

So I went through clearing and managed to get offers from both UWL and Roehampton for their Psychology BSc Hons 3 year courses, which is great, but I've been struggling to make a decision as to which one I should choose. I've considered factors like distance, student life, city life, ranking on league tables (crossreferenced Guardian with CUG) and content in modules, but I'm still a bit stumped. So far I've put it as;

distance - Roehampton (average 40 mins from me/1 bus journey or switching one train, as opposed to switching several trains to get to UWL)
student life - Roehampton (their Colleges system is quite familiar with the Houses system I've been used to in secondary + primary school and they have a lot of societes/extracurriculars I found interest in)
city life - UWL (i'm not as familiar with the West London area as I am the SW London area, but judging by the number of parks and the Theatre nearby I figure it'll be more interesting)
ranking - UWL (from 2018-2020 it was consistently above Roehampton in the Guardian table, and overtook Roehampton in 2020)
module content - seems to be a tie for me, since their content is similar up until the last year, where i don't really feel swayed either side...

has anyone got any other factors I should consider or could help me with making the decision? my family haven't been able to give much advice about what I should do, saying 'do what you want' or 'go Roehampton, it's closer', but it feels like I need to consider more..
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Xyx
So I went through clearing and managed to get offers from both UWL and Roehampton for their Psychology BSc Hons 3 year courses, which is great, but I've been struggling to make a decision as to which one I should choose. I've considered factors like distance, student life, city life, ranking on league tables (crossreferenced Guardian with CUG) and content in modules, but I'm still a bit stumped. So far I've put it as;

distance - Roehampton (average 40 mins from me/1 bus journey or switching one train, as opposed to switching several trains to get to UWL)
student life - Roehampton (their Colleges system is quite familiar with the Houses system I've been used to in secondary + primary school and they have a lot of societes/extracurriculars I found interest in)
city life - UWL (i'm not as familiar with the West London area as I am the SW London area, but judging by the number of parks and the Theatre nearby I figure it'll be more interesting)
ranking - UWL (from 2018-2020 it was consistently above Roehampton in the Guardian table, and overtook Roehampton in 2020)
module content - seems to be a tie for me, since their content is similar up until the last year, where i don't really feel swayed either side...

has anyone got any other factors I should consider or could help me with making the decision? my family haven't been able to give much advice about what I should do, saying 'do what you want' or 'go Roehampton, it's closer', but it feels like I need to consider more..

It's great that you've done your research. You need to consider which of these factors is most important to you (not your family). Ultimately you may find you just need to go with your gut feeling.
Original post by Xyx

could you move out if you went to UWL? if not then i'd go to roehampton as it would be a bit much having to get multiple trains.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It's great that you've done your research. You need to consider which of these factors is most important to you (not your family). Ultimately you may find you just need to go with your gut feeling.

I was kinda hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I guess it might not be anything I can fix.. are there any other factors you think I should (or could) consider before making a judgment?
Original post by claireestelle
could you move out if you went to UWL? if not then i'd go to roehampton as it would be a bit much having to get multiple trains.

in going to either uni i'd have to commute, so the difference is commuting 40-60 mins vs commuting 60-80 mins. however i'd be willing to overlook that if i had enough factors to, but at the moment UWL's swaying me only with facilities/city life and ranking/reputation. i'm not sure whether or not to spend the extra 20 mins (and money) for it, so was wondering if there's any other factors i should consider.
Original post by Xyx
I was kinda hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I guess it might not be anything I can fix.. are there any other factors you think I should (or could) consider before making a judgment?

I think you've got most if not all of the key things. Ultimately this is a rushed decision so if you're still not feeling 100% sure, you may want to consider taking a year out to visit universities and choose something that feels right to you. Your other option is to make a choice and accept that it may not work out.
Original post by Xyx
in going to either uni i'd have to commute, so the difference is commuting 40-60 mins vs commuting 60-80 mins. however i'd be willing to overlook that if i had enough factors to, but at the moment UWL's swaying me only with facilities/city life and ranking/reputation. i'm not sure whether or not to spend the extra 20 mins (and money) for it, so was wondering if there's any other factors i should consider.

40 minutes more in total a day would make quite a difference over time.
Sounds like you've done a lot of research which is great. However, if there is very little in it otherwise, I would probably go with the easiest logistics (if moving out is not an option). You didn't say if the times are one way or round trip but either way, a potential extra 40- 80 mins a day (plus any delays) can add up and be tiring.

Otherwise just go with your gut feeling.

If you're happy enough with both, just struggling to pick one, I wouldn't take a year out on that basis, I'd just toss a coin and get started, personally.
I'd say they were level-pegging enough reputationally for that not to be a huge consideration.
@Roehampton University @UniversityofWestLondon do you have students on your team that could share their experience and share some advice? :smile:
Have you visited both on open days?
Seen the campuses, compared reviews of the courses, experienced the local areas and spoken to current students?
If you prefer one- go with your gut instinct.

Personally I'd avoid Roehampton, too many friends have been the victim of brutal muggings.
The campus is beautiful but the local area has a terrible problem with criminals, illegal drugs and antisocial behaviour.
Lecturers need to start being honest about how bad the Roehampton area is- specially before 9am and after dark.
The problem is I haven't visited either for an open day, so I'm stuck basing off the categories I picked earlier. So far I'm leaning towards Roehampton due to the distance factor and the campus, but was it a common issue finding friends who were victims of the criminals? [I won't be staying on campus for accomodation, so I don't think I'll have much issue at night..]
Original post by londonmyst
Have you visited both on open days?
Seen the campuses, compared reviews of the courses, experienced the local areas and spoken to current students?
If you prefer one- go with your gut instinct.

Personally I'd avoid Roehampton, too many friends have been the victim of brutal muggings.
The campus is beautiful but the local area has a terrible problem with criminals, illegal drugs and antisocial behaviour.
Lecturers need to start being honest about how bad the Roehampton area is- specially before 9am and after dark.

Really? I've made it my firm since I applied through clearing because I liked the look of it. I'm really concerned that muggings are that much of an issue🙃
Hi Xyx

We have a clearing advice session tomorrow, so why don't you come along and have a look round our campus, meets some students and talk to our lecturers about our psychology course? Yow will also be able to see our facilities and get a general feel for the University - it is sometimes the best way to help make that all important decision. You can book your place here.

Our clearing webpages also will tell you a lot more information about us. If you want to talk to someone about our psychology courses, you can also speak to someone today on 0800 036 8888, the team will be happy to help.

We wish you all the best in your studies next year whatever decision you make :smile:
Team UWL
Original post by Xyx

Original post by Xyx
The problem is I haven't visited either for an open day, so I'm stuck basing off the categories I picked earlier. So far I'm leaning towards Roehampton due to the distance factor and the campus, but was it a common issue finding friends who were victims of the criminals? [I won't be staying on campus for accomodation, so I don't think I'll have much issue at night..]

Yes- I don't want to alarm you but the violent crime is absolutely terrible.
15 friends experienced extreme violence in Roehampton; either mugged, attacked by a criminal with an illegal weapon or beaten up trying to rescue someone else mugged/attacked.
Only one friend was living on campus; he was badly injured by muggers during the daytime, twice in 72 hrs and moved out of campus accommodation after nine days.
All the others lived off-campus and were commuting to Roehampton Uni, 3-4 days a week.Two are amateur boxers.

Whenever I have to go there during the day, I bring a big and scary looking dog with me.
I'm a 5'1 female and started learning krav maga martial arts while I was petsitting rabbits in Roehampton for a fortnight.
I won't go near Roehampton after dark- ever.
Original post by jas3llia
Really? I've made it my firm since I applied through clearing because I liked the look of it. I'm really concerned that muggings are that much of an issue🙃

Personally I'd avoid enrolling at Roehampton Uni.
Violent crime in Roehampton is too serious a problem.
15 of my friends were mugged, attacked by a criminal with an illegal weapon or beaten up trying to rescue someone else.

If you have already accepted the place, paid for your accommodation and don't have any other options:
1) take some martial arts classes so you can defend yourself if you are attacked,
and
2) always carry some cheap spray perfume in a glass bottle in case you see someone else get targeted and want to help them get away.
A yr8 I help with her homework taught me this trick; carry the perfume and if a criminal attacks spray it in their eyes so that while vision is obscured the victim can run. The police don't like pepper spray but never complain about perfume.
Original post by londonmyst
Personally I'd avoid enrolling at Roehampton Uni.
Violent crime in Roehampton is too serious a problem.
15 of my friends were mugged, attacked by a criminal with an illegal weapon or beaten up trying to rescue someone else.

If you have already accepted the place, paid for your accommodation and don't have any other options:
1) take some martial arts classes so you can defend yourself if you are attacked,
and
2) always carry some cheap spray perfume in a glass bottle in case you see someone else get targeted and want to help them get away.
A yr8 I help with her homework taught me this trick; carry the perfume and if a criminal attacks spray it in their eyes so that while vision is obscured the victim can run. The police don't like pepper spray but never complain about perfume.

Well it’s a London uni, so it’s to be expected tbh. I think unis in central London are worse with muggings from what I’ve heard. I’ll avoid going out after dark for sure.
Original post by jas3llia
Well it’s a London uni, so it’s to be expected tbh. I think unis in central London are worse with muggings from what I’ve heard. I’ll avoid going out after dark for sure.

I'm a lifelong Londoner, have lived all over London and studied at London unis over the last 6 years.
Roehampton is the worst area I've experienced for violent crime.
Shadwell is the worst area I've ever experienced for antisocial behaviour.
I may have come a bit too late to this but I am a Roehampton student myself. I regularly go out at night time and have never had any problems. However, i would avoid Danebury Avenue and the Alton
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending