The Student Room Group

Need help picking uni with these grades A*AB

So I really wanted to do computer science at uni but I couldn't find a good uni (in London) which did computer science. I tried Kings but they said I don't meet the requirement. So, for now, I have my firm choice which was electronic and electrical engineering at Queen Mary. So which uni would be ideal to do computer science and if it is possible to change my course to computer science at Queen Mary once I start uni.

Any help is appreciated.
Have you tried asking at Queen Mary? Universities don't tend to switch part way through the year, so probably best to ask in advance... They are AAB for 2020 so you may have a chance. Sometimes you can defer to the following year, you could ask if that would be possible if you don't mind waiting...

Is City University not good enough for you?
Reply 2
Original post by centraltrains
Have you tried asking at Queen Mary? Universities don't tend to switch part way through the year, so probably best to ask in advance... They are AAB for 2020 so you may have a chance. Sometimes you can defer to the following year, you could ask if that would be possible if you don't mind waiting...

Is City University not good enough for you?

yh i called them up and they said they can't take any uk/eu students as they are only taking international students (through clearing). And i haven't heard much about city for computer science so i will look into that. Thanks
Original post by MAHJEK
yh i called them up and they said they can't take any uk/eu students as they are only taking international students (through clearing). And i haven't heard much about city for computer science so i will look into that. Thanks

That sucks! If only location was a protected characteristic....
They get very bad reviews on these here forms for CS. I was meaning it as a joke because of "I couldn't find a good uni". (I think they are one of London's ex-polys so lower grade requirements). You can defo get into CS with A*AB at a good uni. How keen are you? Could be really beneficial to just wait till next year...
Reply 4
They get very bad reviews on these here forms for CS. I was meaning it as a joke because of "I couldn't find a good uni". (I think they are one of London's ex-polys so lower grade requirements). You can defo get into CS with A*AB at a good uni. How keen are you? Could be really beneficial to just wait till next year...

Are you definitely determined to stay in London?Have you looked into unis with comp science in clearing.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
Are you definitely determined to stay in London?Have you looked into unis with comp science in clearing.

I checked Southampton and Bath which I can get into with these grades but both are really far from London. And the next best uni was Brunel.
Reply 6

i kept gap year as my last resort where i could get a job and just save up and maybe then i could afford to live outside London. But i think ill just go with EEE and request to change the course if not ill think about. dropping out and waiting till next year if possible. Anyways thanks for the advice much appreciated
I know it sucks but if this is the case you might have to go to 2nd-tier universities in London eg. Royal Holloway. If you are willing take a few hr bus journey everyday than I suggest University of Reading(1hr by bus) or UEA( 2 hr by bus) or Southampton (2.5 by coach)
(edited 4 years ago)
south hampton ^

Original post by janelle42
I know it sucks but if this is the case you might have to go to 2nd-tier universities in London eg,Royal HollowayIf you are willing take a few hr bus journey everyday than I suggest University of Reading(1.5 hr by bus) or a (2.5 by coach)
Original post by MAHJEK
So I really wanted to do computer science at uni but I couldn't find a good uni (in London) which did computer science. I tried Kings but they said I don't meet the requirement. So, for now, I have my firm choice which was electronic and electrical engineering at Queen Mary. So which uni would be ideal to do computer science and if it is possible to change my course to computer science at Queen Mary once I start uni.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

So sorry you missed out on your chosen universities. Have you considered the University of Reading? Reading train station is 30mins from London Paddington, with a 15-20min bus journey to the uni. We have spaces available in clearing for both the computer science and computer science with industrial training courses (https://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/#computer-science).
I've just finished my four years at Reading studying food science and absolutely loved it. We have a really dedicated careers centre that will help you finding internships, placements, part-time jobs etc which will help you when you graduate. Plus we have a beautiful campus with lots of green space!
Why don't you give our clearing hotline a call on (+44 (0)118 402 0900)?

Alice :h:
Final year student ambassador
Original post by MAHJEK

Any help is appreciated.

Hi @MAHJEK, :smile:

We've got more info on our Computing Sciences courses here,
Including variants of the course with options to Study Abroad and have a Year in Industry!

UEA is situated on the edge of Norwich City Centre, with buses running every 15 minutes to Norwich Station.
There is a direct train to Liverpool Street which is under 2 hours running every hour :train2:

We have some more info on our campus (which has been awarded a Green Flag award for one of the best green spaces in the UK!:flower2:), courses and uni life here, with our Clearing Call Centre reachable on: 0300 300 7994,

We also have a Live Chat if you need any advice, clearing info etc which is available on the same page!

Wishing you the best of luck with whichever route you choose :smile: :smartass:
Anna- Offical UEA TSR Rep
Original post by MAHJEK
I checked Southampton and Bath which I can get into with these grades but both are really far from London. And the next best uni was Brunel.

Bath is a super university and I would suggest going there. Other than that Reading would be a good option and not too far from London
Original post by MAHJEK

Any help is appreciated.

Hi my name is Janelle, i am a student ambassador at Teesside University, i study Human Biology

please feel free to contact out clearing hotline on: 0800 952 0226, we have Computer Science in clearing. Our team could answer any questions you may have.

All the Best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending