The Student Room Group

Southampton A101 (BM4) 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of Southampton A101 (BM4) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm4_a101.page

For entry requirements click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm4_a101.page#entry_requirements%0A____________________

Southamptom Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6331732

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys,

Very early on but just getting my head around the applications process and finding the relavent threads! Maybe people could post their stats and where they're applying to etc.. so we can get get a bit of a conversation going.

My first degree was MEng Mechanical engineering (1st), I graduated this summer. Last cycle I had interviews at Barts, Southampton, and Newcastle but was unsuccesful for all three. This year I'm applying to those three plus Nottingham so I'll be taking the GAMSAT and the UKCAT.

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ellios
Hi guys,

Very early on but just getting my head around the applications process and finding the relavent threads! Maybe people could post their stats and where they're applying to etc.. so we can get get a bit of a conversation going.

My first degree was MEng Mechanical engineering (1st), I graduated this summer. Last cycle I had interviews at Barts, Southampton, and Newcastle but was unsuccesful for all three. This year I'm applying to those three plus Nottingham so I'll be taking the GAMSAT and the UKCAT.

:smile:

You’ll get it! How are you preparing for these exams?
Reply 3
Original post by SandiyG
You’ll get it! How are you preparing for these exams?

Right now I'm just using Khan Academy for GAMSAT section 3 but I've also been writing a few practice essays and trying to keep up to date with current affairs and news too. Haven't done a whole lot for the UKCAT yet as I have about 3 weeks after the GAMSAT to just work on that, plus I've got my prep from last year still in my head somewhere! Are you taking them both too?
Reply 4
Original post by Ellios
Right now I'm just using Khan Academy for GAMSAT section 3 but I've also been writing a few practice essays and trying to keep up to date with current affairs and news too. Haven't done a whole lot for the UKCAT yet as I have about 3 weeks after the GAMSAT to just work on that, plus I've got my prep from last year still in my head somewhere! Are you taking them both too?

Thanks for that. I’m thinking of taking the GAMSAT in March and BMAT possibly this year!
hi, I got 720 in the UCAT. Does this score seem competitive enough to apply to Southampton? Thinking of applying to Barts, KCL and Warwick so far but don’t want to waste one of my choices if I have no chance with Southampton
Hi folks, going into first year in the BM4 course, had a tilt at it two years ago and took time out, having a crack at it again.

Will answer whatever questions I can!
Original post by cocoabeaneo
hi, I got 720 in the UCAT. Does this score seem competitive enough to apply to Southampton? Thinking of applying to Barts, KCL and Warwick so far but don’t want to waste one of my choices if I have no chance with Southampton

The last few years 725 has appeared to have been the cutoff so you should be fine.
Reply 8
I'm applying for both undergrad and graduate entry (hedging my bets) does anyone know what the interviews comprise of and if they are similar?
Lmao can’t believe I applied for this course last year.
Original post by Jb244
I'm applying for both undergrad and graduate entry (hedging my bets) does anyone know what the interviews comprise of and if they are similar?

I went on the open day this year and they said (for undergrad) that the interview is made up of 2 parts. The first part is a group discussion with about 8 people. You’re given a topic and then you discuss it for 20 minutes and then they ask everyone what they got from it. The second half is panel I think but I’m not 100% sure on that one. The way they select from interview is really good as well. They do it by “excellent,” “satisfactory,” and “not acceptable,” or words along those lines, instead of numbers. Don’t know about grad though
Hi everyone; is anyone currently doing the course? How are you finding it? What do you like/dislike? What's living in Southampton like? I'm trying to decide where to apply GEM for 2020 entry. Thank you!!
Stats: UCAT 805/Band 1, B.S. Chemistry from Northeastern U in Boston, 3.9/4.0 GPA
Reply 12
Hi there, anyone know how many candidates are interviewed and how many offers they give?
Reply 13
Hi!

I’m looking to apply for graduate entry medicine (BM4) at Southampton and was wondering if anyone knew how many people were invited to the selection days?
Original post by theadventurezone
Hi everyone; is anyone currently doing the course? How are you finding it? What do you like/dislike? What's living in Southampton like? I'm trying to decide where to apply GEM for 2020 entry. Thank you!!
Stats: UCAT 805/Band 1, B.S. Chemistry from Northeastern U in Boston, 3.9/4.0 GPA

I did first year and took a couple of years out so am going back into it.

It's very intense (obvious) but you get contact with patients in the first couple of weeks. It's focused around graduate groups - you go through case studies at the start of the week then at the end you give little presentations to your peers, very problem based learning driven so if you like that style of learning you'll do very well. Clinical stuff is held in Winchester hospital, and the docs are amazing and good teachers.
Southampton is cheaper than most towns in the area, and it's being regenerated slowly, but it's still pretty grim in places. Students are mostly concentrated in Portswood, the area around the university.

One caveat - you need to be a UK or EU national to apply (I see your degree is from the US) - BM4 doesn't take international candidates.
Reply 15
Original post by dh1995
Hi there, anyone know how many candidates are interviewed and how many offers they give?

Original post by Agjj
Hi!

I’m looking to apply for graduate entry medicine (BM4) at Southampton and was wondering if anyone knew how many people were invited to the selection days?

It was gathered and estimated from last year that there are 48 places, 85 offers and 200 interview spots.
Original post by 548
It was gathered and estimated from last year that there are 48 places, 85 offers and 200 interview spots.

Can confirm, 48 places, plus or minus people who might drop off before it starts plus suspensions etc from the previous year.
Hi all, applied to Southampton. Now fingers crossed.
Original post by 548
It was gathered and estimated from last year that there are 48 places, 85 offers.

That is interesting! How do they manage there being much fewer places than 85? All of those could accept or is the attrition really that high?
Reply 19
Original post by Puzzled11
That is interesting! How do they manage there being much fewer places than 85? All of those could accept or is the attrition really that high?

I can't remember where the number was pulled from, so I'd be hesitant to believe it. That said, maybe they're a lot of individuals second choice? I heard a rumour that during a previous cycle, previously denied interview applicants were offered a spot at Southampton during the summer period.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply