The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or Biomedical Science?

I'm quite disappointed with my A level results and I have missed out on my firm offer to study Pharmacy at Manchester University. However, I am currently not sure if I should stick with my insurance to study Biomedical Science or to look for clearing places at other universities that take low grades for pharmacy. What course is better in terms of career prospects and salary etc?. I like both of the courses but i'm not entirely sure which one is right for me. I've also heard that pharmacists are going to decrease in the future and government NHS cuts will affect Pharmacy first which leans me more towards Biomedical science due to a broader range of careers available after graduating with a degree.
Original post by Loreto2018
I'm quite disappointed with my A level results and I have missed out on my firm offer to study Pharmacy at Manchester University. However, I am currently not sure if I should stick with my insurance to study Biomedical Science or to look for clearing places at other universities that take low grades for pharmacy. What course is better in terms of career prospects and salary etc?. I like both of the courses but i'm not entirely sure which one is right for me. I've also heard that pharmacists are going to decrease in the future and government NHS cuts will affect Pharmacy first which leans me more towards Biomedical science due to a broader range of careers available after graduating with a degree.

Hi my name is Janelle, i am a student ambassador at Teesside University, i study Human Biology

please feel free to contact out clearing hotline on: 0800 952 0226,

we may have places available for biomedical science and pharmaceutical science and they can give any information on your options related to your grades.

All the Best
It really is a personal choice, however there is no harm in calling around some universities to see if they still have pharmacy places in clearing and whether you are eligible.

Both courses sound great, but you're right to consider future career prospects too.

I would maybe try and contact the academic staff too at your insurance choice to ask any questions and make sure the course is right for you.

Vicki

Hey @Loreto2018 :smile:

Sorry to hear you're disappointed.

I think you should research into both courses at a variety of different universities, check out the course pages, they should provide you with info on career prospects.

There's no harm in calling university clearing helplines, it'll be good to discuss your options and talk it through with someone.

A career in Pharmacy allows you to work in lots of different sectors like community, hospital, industry, primary care, GP Practice, academia! Some of our recent Biomedical Science grads have taken up positions as a Biomedical Scientist, Cytology Screener, Microbiologist, Scientist, Teaching Support Technician.

Can you attend a uni open day or just go for a visit and arrange to speak to an academic? :smile:

If you did want to have a look at the courses we offer through Clearing, you can do so here :cyber:

Good luck on your decision!

Becky

Hi @Loreto2018,

Sorry to hear you missed out on your firm choice, that must have been so disappointing.

If you are in Clearing, check out your Pharmacy and Biomedical options here: http://ow.ly/awbl50vztsU

Or if you would prefer to chat to one of our team, you can give us a :call2:call:call: and we will help you explore your options.

Good luck!

Team Queen's
(Stephen)

Twitter Hello.jpg
Original post by BU Students
It really is a personal choice, however there is no harm in calling around some universities to see if they still have pharmacy places in clearing and whether you are eligible.

Both courses sound great, but you're right to consider future career prospects too.

I would maybe try and contact the academic staff too at your insurance choice to ask any questions and make sure the course is right for you.

Vicki

Hi, if i were to phone universities through clearing and if they were to provide me with an offer, would I have to accept it straight away or could I have some time to think about the decision? Also, would they still talk to me if I already have my insurance choice confirmed? Thanks.
Hi, if i were to phone universities through clearing and if they were to provide me with an offer, would I have to accept it straight away or could I have some time to think about the decision? Also, would they still talk to me if I already have my insurance choice confirmed? Thanks.

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, I hope you managed to decide on a course. Universities will still be offering clearing but a lot of the competitive courses will now be full. For anyone reading this in the future, uni's will usually give you around 24 hours to add your clearing offer to UCAS (this year the option to add wasn't even available until 3pm on the 15th to allow students to think about their choices). Some uni's will speak to you if you are still holding insurance or firm but you would need to release yourself into clearing before adding the offer to UCAS.

Let us know what you decided to do.

Vicki

Quick Reply

Latest