The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Foundation year at bradford thread

Hey everyone! :smile:

Have you ever considered doing a Foundation Year? :curious:

It's a pre-degree access programme, so it'll provide you with a solid basis for future undergrad study.

If you don't have the necessary qualifications for the degree you applied for, why not take a look at what we're offering through Clearing here :thumbsup:

Doing a Foundation Year offers an introductory grounding in your chosen discipline, you'll build your confidence and learn all the skills required for continuing to undergraduate study :yy:

If you successfully complete the Foundation Year you'll be able to progress onto a range of degree programmes, like Management, Social Science, Nursing, Health and Allied Professions, Life Sciences, Computer Science, Media, and Law! :zomg:

If this sounds like something up your street, head on over to our website for all the info you need: https://bit.ly/2z1NV5n :congrats:

Feel free to ask me any questions too :smile:

Becky
If you'd like to hear a student's perspective on studying a Foundation Year course, I have a blog post from Naeem who studied a Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine :smile:

He shares why a foundation year can change everything for the better! So if you want some more info and helpful advice, I recommend you check out the post here :biggrin:

"Sometimes when people hear the phrase "Foundation Year", there are lots of negative connotations. People may assume that you failed your exams or had no choice but to waste another year of your time and money. But, the reality is quite the opposite. A foundation year has so many benefits and it's important to overlook the stereotypes and do your research, so you can do what's best for you!"

"I chose to study a Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine...because it allowed me to get a greater insight into what a career in the medical field would be like. It's helped me decide whether this career path is right for me and has prepared me for university life"

Naeem has some more fab advice over on the blog if you'd like to carry on reading :thumbsup:

Becky
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Hey! :biggrin:

Don't have the necessary mathematics or science qualifications for an Engineering degree?

Our Engineering Foundation Year gives you the skills you need to start one :smile:

If you successfully complete the foundation year, you're able to go onto the first year of any of the following BEng courses :thumbsup:
Chemical Engineering
Civil and Structural Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering

The Foundation Year will give you a strong grounding in the engineering fundamentals of mathematics, physics and materials. You'll learn theory and apply this knowledge in practical work :biggrin:

If you'd like to check out the excellent facilities the School of Engineering has, you can explore our Virtual Experience (you don't even have to leave the house!) :thumbsup:

Becky
If you'd like to give our Clearing Helpline team a call, you can ring them on 0800 073 1225 :call:

Or you can apply online by filling in the self-apply form :cyber:

Becky
Original post by University of Bradford

It's a pre-degree access programme, so it'll provide you with a solid basis for future undergrad study.

If you don't have the necessary qualifications for the degree you applied for, why not take a look at what we're offering through Clearing here :thumbsup:

Doing a Foundation Year offers an introductory grounding in your chosen discipline, you'll build your confidence and learn all the skills required for continuing to undergraduate study :yy:

If you successfully complete the Foundation Year you'll be able to progress onto a range of degree programmes, like Management, Social Science, Nursing, Health and Allied Professions, Life Sciences, Computer Science, Media, and Law! :zomg:

If this sounds like something up your street, head on over to our website for all the info you need: https://bit.ly/2z1NV5n :congrats:

Becky

Hey,

I wanted to ask about foundation year for Medicine. How many students applied to progress onto Medicine after the foundation year and how many actually got a place?

Thanks.
Original post by idontknow786
Hey,

I wanted to ask about foundation year for Medicine. How many students applied to progress onto Medicine after the foundation year and how many actually got a place?

Thanks.

Hey,

There are up to 20 spaces available at Leeds for students wishing to transfer from the Foundation year into year 1 of the MBChB and 20 spaces for students wishing to transfer from year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc (for students who started on the Foundation Year) into year 2 of the MBChB. Please note, the places are offered at Leeds' discretion.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Jennie
Reply 6
Hi, I wanted to ask, if I do the engineering foundation year, can I go on and do the Meng Civil engineering course?Thank you for your time
Original post by Habiba16
Hi, I wanted to ask, if I do the engineering foundation year, can I go on and do the Meng Civil engineering course?Thank you for your time

Hello :smile:

Yes, successful completion of the Engineering Foundation Year enables you to go onto the first year of the BEng Civil and Structural Engineering course. If you achieve a grade of 70% or above you are able to progress directly to our four or five-year integrated Master’s programmes (MEng)

I hope that helps!

Jennie
Reply 8
Hello :smile:

Yes, successful completion of the Engineering Foundation Year enables you to go onto the first year of the BEng Civil and Structural Engineering course. If you achieve a grade of 70% or above you are able to progress directly to our four or five-year integrated Master’s programmes (MEng)

I hope that helps!

Jennie

Hi,

Thank you, I understand the structure now. Hope you have a nice day.
Original post by idontknow786
Hey,

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm not sure how many people applied from the foundation year this year but my estimate would be about 30-40 people, I applied from year 1 and there was about 40 applicants. Leeds pick up to 20 students to transfer from the foundation year and 20 from year 1, as far as I've aware they take the full 20 pretty much every year (I've not heard of an exception to this during my time at Bradford but it really is up to Leeds).

When I was in the foundation year there was about 180 students and then in year 1 it dropped to about 90 with about 90% wanting to progress onto medicine either via the transfer or postgrad.

Let me know if you've got any more questions, I'll do my best to answer them!

Becky

Hi ! I'm a Hong Kong Chinese. I'm now studying A-Level course at a college in UK. My GCSE results are quite good except English Language(only grade 2). Instead, I got an IELTS score of 5.5 two months ago. I'd like to know whether I'm still eligible to apply the Foundation Degree Course for the degree route B930.Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi ! I'm a Hong Kong Chinese. I'm now studying A-Level course at a college in UK. My GCSE results are quite good except English Language(only grade 2). Instead, I got an IELTS score of 5.5 two months ago. I'd like to know whether I'm still eligible to apply the Foundation Degree Course for the degree route B930.Thank you!

Hi :hello:

For the Foundation route to Occupational therapy, we need 72 UCAS points, GCSE maths grade 4 and IELTS of 5.5 overall with no sub-test less
than 5.0.

You are welcome to email us your exact qualifications if you would like to discuss this. Please send this information to [email protected]

Sue :h:
Hi :hello:

For the Foundation route to Occupational therapy, we need 72 UCAS points, GCSE maths grade 4 and IELTS of 5.5 overall with no sub-test less
than 5.0.

You are welcome to email us your exact qualifications if you would like to discuss this. Please send this information to [email protected]

Thank you so much!
Sue

Becky

I know the whole point of the foundation programme prep students for the honours degree, but i was wondering, do you need any qualification to apply for this course as you would be studying specific topics to then apply for the course that you want??

Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
I know the whole point of the foundation programme prep students for the honours degree, but i was wondering, do you need any qualification to apply for this course as you would be studying specific topics to then apply for the course that you want??

Thank you.

Hello,

Yes, we require a certain amount of level 3 study (equivalent to 72 UCAS points).
Foundation years are used to top up level 3 study to reach a required baseline in order to study at level 4.

Hey, I’ve been wanting to do adult nursing with Bradford university. I was wondering if the foundation year would help me achieve my maths to get into the course ?
I’m wanting to study adult nursing with Bradford university but don’t have my maths, will the foundation year help me get onto that?
Hey! :biggrin:

Don't have the necessary mathematics or science qualifications for an Engineering degree?

Our Engineering Foundation Year gives you the skills you need to start one :smile:

If you successfully complete the foundation year, you're able to go onto the first year of any of the following BEng courses :thumbsup:
Chemical Engineering
Civil and Structural Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering

The Foundation Year will give you a strong grounding in the engineering fundamentals of mathematics, physics and materials. You'll learn theory and apply this knowledge in practical work :biggrin:

If you'd like to check out the excellent facilities the School of Engineering has, you can explore our Virtual Experience (you don't even have to leave the house!) :thumbsup:

Becky

Becky

Reasons to study a Foundation Year:

I have 56 UCAS points and I am wanting to do Adult Nursing. If I do the foundation year can I progress onto the Adult Nursing Course?
Original post by Raeesah.a
I have 56 UCAS points and I am wanting to do Adult Nursing. If I do the foundation year can I progress onto the Adult Nursing Course?

Hey @Raeesah.a :smile:

If you click on Adult Nursing on our foundation year progression route webpage you can find the entry requirements needed! I'd also recommend calling our Clearing Helpline to speak to our team directly about your options on 0808 196 9129.

Thanks,

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending