The Student Room Group

No point in doing a law degree?

I’m really confused on what I should do at the moment as I really want to do a law degree but I’ve spoken to at least 3 people who told me not to as there is no money in it and I understand money isn’t everything but if I’ve put all this work in I would like to have a be earning a lot? Does anyone else have any ideas about law and what type of law to go into which can make me successful and if it’s bad to go in or not as I could really do with some advice right now?
Do those people have actual knowledge of a legal career, or are they just saying that?

Obviously the law can be a lucrative career but its very competitive so you need to make sure you get top marks at a good university to give yourself the best chance.
Original post by Duane2501
Do those people have actual knowledge of a legal career, or are they just saying that?

Obviously the law can be a lucrative career but its very competitive so you need to make sure you get top marks at a good university to give yourself the best chance.

One of the people I’ve spoke to is a lawyer but does family law I believe and he said don’t do it there’s no money in it and I’m just really confused rn as I don’t want to do a degree where the pay is average as the whole purpose of me going to uni is to help build a better life for myself
I agree to a point, you won't be minted like the lawyers you see on TV, but generally you'll earn a decent salary. The area of law makes a huge difference as does the size of the firm, not to mention the City you work in. City NQs can earn £100k now at the big firms, but you can expect to earn much less than that at a smaller firm on a regional high street.
I agree to a point, you won't be minted like the lawyers you see on TV, but generally you'll earn a decent salary. The area of law makes a huge difference as does the size of the firm, not to mention the City you work in. City NQs can earn £100k now at the big firms, but you can expect to earn much less than that at a smaller firm on a regional high street.

What law do you believe is best to go in?
An area you're interested in - trite answer but its hard work so you may as well enjoy it! I genuinely like commercial law, so I became a commercial lawyer and I now work in-house. I tried property but didn't enjoy it, but friends love it, others love family etc. There is no one answer I'm afraid.

Best way is to get work experience and read some of the legal news sites - the gazette etc - to get a feel of each area.
An area you're interested in - trite answer but its hard work so you may as well enjoy it! I genuinely like commercial law, so I became a commercial lawyer and I now work in-house. I tried property but didn't enjoy it, but friends love it, others love family etc. There is no one answer I'm afraid.

Best way is to get work experience and read some of the legal news sites - the gazette etc - to get a feel of each area.

Commercial lawyers get paid a lot tho hahaha
This is loosely associated with the original post, but even if someone these days did want to go into Law, (not me but a relative), I am regularly hearing from lawyers recruiting that they don't want people doing law degrees. They'd prefer other types of degree and then get the successful applicants to do a conversion course. Got to admit to my untrained eye, I am baffled at the huge number of people who have recently done, are doing, or want to do law degrees as supply clearly is way ahead of demand isn't it???
Did you intend to respond to me in that tone?

Which bit of what I wrote was wrong? The bit about what lawyers were telling us so they were wrong, or are you telling me I didn't hear them correctly on any occasion?

Re my silly supply and demand point, where did I say, 'top end'? My question (so I cannot be wrong as it's a question) was isn't it the case that there are more applicants with law degrees for places at law firms (regardless of 'top end')? To add, if law firms are also taking on graduates with other types of degrees, surely (question), doesn't that compound it even more?
Ok. Please reconsider that tone in future as you are in some cases giving your opinion to youngsters, some of whom would benefit from less condescension.

Thank you for the rest of the response. Re missing your point, I actually didn't. It was invalid so I rephrased my question. It's again invalid.

I'll pass on your response to my younger relative who's done extensive research since finishing at Cambridge and masters at St. Andrews and let him know he's better off going back to Uni to do law as his job offers are 'wrong'.
I am 51! All you do is skim read people's posts, so no wonder you're not giving valid responses. Concealing my age indeed! Good grief. I even threw in I was telling you about my "young relative"!

If anything comes out of this, hopefully you and your law degrees advocates will bear in mind other degrees are out there, and may like to mention that when teenagers think the only way into law is with law.

Good bye.
Thankyou so much for an actual good reply rather than the whole do what makes you happy thing I really do appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending