The Student Room Group

Which university?

Hey I just got my result yesterday and now I can’t figure out what I want to do . I really wanted to go university of Manchester but I didn’t get the grades for it . But I still have my insurance choice which was university of law . I want to study law and I want to study it at a good university. First I was thinking about retaking my exams and then reapplying to university of Manchester but my form tutor suggested that I should move forward and that university of law is not bad . I don’t know whether to retake my exams , to go university of law or to do a foundation year at Manchester metropolitan and then get transferred to university of Manchester. I’m really confused.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unknown449
Hey I just got my result yesterday and now I can’t figure out what I want to do . I really wanted to go university of Manchester but I didn’t get the grades for it . But I still have my insurance choice which was university of law . I want to study law and I want to study it at a good university. First I was thinking about retaking my exams and then reapplying to university of Manchester but my form tutor suggested that I should move forward and that university of law is not bad . I don’t know whether to retake my exams , to go university of law or to do a foundation year at Manchester metropolitan and then get transferred to university of Manchester. I’m really confused.

Are you limited to Manchester for some reason only it's a big jump from Manchester uni to Manchester Met? The uni of Law won't give you the normal uni experience but probably better than Man Met to be honest. Would you consider any other unis and what are your grades?
Original post by harrysbar
Are you limited to Manchester for some reason only it's a big jump from Manchester uni to Manchester Met? The uni of Law won't give you the normal uni experience but probably better than Man Met to be honest. Would you consider any other unis and what are your grades?

Wait why do you think the uni of Law won't give the normal uni experience?
Original post by Leena_a123
Wait why do you think the uni of Law won't give the normal uni experience?

It's a private uni not a normal uni - they are small and don't have the normal range of campus facilities and accommodation. It's ok for some people but you need to visit to make sure it's right for you
It's a private uni not a normal uni - they are small and don't have the normal range of campus facilities and accommodation. It's ok for some people but you need to visit to make sure it's right for you

Ahh okay, thank you, luckily I've booked an open day soon
Ahh okay, thank you, luckily I've booked an open day soon

That is good :smile: It's always important to go to several open days and get a good feel for which unis you like the feel of the most, they are all different and you have to find out that's right for you
Hey, I'm personally going to the uni of law in manchester this year and I think it's a good uni to go to. I think because it's so small, tutors will be able to advise you more. When I went to the open day last year, they said that they put a lot of emphasis on finding and starting a career in law like going to events and starting connections. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by sneakyshrek
Hey, I'm personally going to the uni of law in manchester this year and I think it's a good uni to go to. I think because it's so small, tutors will be able to advise you more. When I went to the open day last year, they said that they put a lot of emphasis on finding and starting a career in law like going to events and starting connections. Hope this helps :smile:

You fell victim to the PR machine. RIP.
Original post by Notoriety

I felt like being kind to the machine coz other people might not be
Reply 9
The only reason I was considering man met was cuz if I do a foundation year I can easily get transferred to uni of Man . I got BBC. If im given another chance I guarantee I can do better it’s just that I had too many things going on this summer and because of anxiety I missed my sociology exam but I still managed to get a B on it. I like university of law but I’m not excited or anything about it , plus it’s a new university I don’t want to take any risks.
Reply 10

Are you actually? I’m scared what if I don’t like it and the university itself is really small like it’s really different from traditional universities. The only thing I like about uni of Law is that I will be focused more .
Original post by Notoriety

:biggrin:
Original post by Unknown449
Are you actually? I’m scared what if I don’t like it and the university itself is really small like it’s really different from traditional universities. The only thing I like about uni of Law is that I will be focused more .

Yeah, I got accepted into it (it was my first choice). I was thinking about this too when I was choosing unis coz I thought I might miss out on the full uni experience. I had a look on the website and blogs that ulaw have and it just seems like everything a traditional university has to offer but smaller. I wouldn't worry too much about how it differs from other unis because there is always the other option of changing to a different university if it doesn't fit your style. I do suggest you try and go to an open day to see what it's like and whether it suits you :smile:
Yeah, I got accepted into it (it was my first choice). I was thinking about this too when I was choosing unis coz I thought I might miss out on the full uni experience. I had a look on the website and blogs that ulaw have and it just seems like everything a traditional university has to offer but smaller. I wouldn't worry too much about how it differs from other unis because there is always the other option of changing to a different university if it doesn't fit your style. I do suggest you try and go to an open day to see what it's like and whether it suits you :smile:

wait you can change universities if you dont like it?
Manchester Met. (for Law) is just appalling. I was a good friend with a member of the lecturing staff there. He committed suicide. Tells you all you need to know.

My advice: Don't study law. Do an easier subject. Get a good grade and then get into a cramming school to take the new SQE.

Believe me, law degrees will soon be a thing of the past
Hmm thanks for this, I’m sorry about your friend, hope he/she is resting in peace, and it’s too late to change the degree I want to do, the only subject I can think of doing is law or maybe history? But history wouldn’t really get me anywhere? I have been considering a solicitor apprenticeship however I really want to experience university.
Original post by Tantric Vibe
Manchester Met. (for Law) is just appalling. I was a good friend with a member of the lecturing staff there. He committed suicide. Tells you all you need to know.

My advice: Don't study law. Do an easier subject. Get a good grade and then get into a cramming school to take the new SQE.

Believe me, law degrees will soon be a thing of the past
Hmm thanks for this, I’m sorry about your friend, hope he/she is resting in peace, and it’s too late to change the degree I want to do, the only subject I can think of doing is law or maybe history? But history wouldn’t really get me anywhere? I have been considering a solicitor apprenticeship however I really want to experience university.

Ignore that muppet.
No, ignore the well named 'Notoriety.' It is now quite apparent what he is notorious for: BS.

The point is that for many many years some of the very best lawyers never studied law at university. They took a degree (say history) and then did the GDL. An example is the recent head of the Law Society, Joe Egan. His degree was in Sociology. It didn't do him any harm.

So find out the facts and avoid the village idiots would be my advice.
Original post by Tantric Vibe
No, ignore the well named 'Notoriety.' It is now quite apparent what he is notorious for: BS.

The point is that for many many years some of the very best lawyers never studied law at university. They took a degree (say history) and then did the GDL. An example is the recent head of the Law Society, Joe Egan. His degree was in Sociology. It didn't do him any harm.

So find out the facts and avoid the village idiots would be my advice.

We are all very well aware of the GDL route and btw Notoriety is a very highly respected member of TSR
This is really confusing my future choices 😂😂 can someone explain the GDL route
We are all very well aware of the GDL route and btw Notoriety is a very highly respected member of TSR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending