The Student Room Group

My (very boring) GCSE GYG -- Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Roses & Dreams
Whereas me, I'm never organised. :frown:
You buy those command strips. :fuhrer: Otherwise one day it'll fall on top of someone. :colonhash:

You pretty much have everything tbh. I knew you would have some, the amount of shopping you do. :biggrin:

I understand how she feels about concrete plans. I don't have any and I'm worrying because without knowing what you want to be, sometimes you'll choose a course that isn't right for you (e.g: GCSE Sports Studies :albertein:). As for panicking, I guess it's only natural, but make sure you're there for her if things get tough and encourage her to believe in herself. :yep: Oh goodness, I couldn't imagine both of you on TSR, if you're similar then I'd probably mix you up all the time.

I will! 😂 I hope that doesn't happen :s-smilie:

That is true, I do have a shopping problem so I have or have had everything I need.. It's annoying though when it's something I have had (and given away) and then I realise I need it now. :fuhrer::mad: .. BTW buying command strips on Amazon has expanded to all sorts of things and my basket is at £20.02 :eek: and the command strips are only £3 so that's a lot of extra stuff 😂

I was very lucky in that aspect, I chose IT originally but because of my other subjects, it was impossible for me to take it so I had to take Business which I ended up really liking.. IDK if I would’ve had any kind of plan if that didn't happen.. It would be really funny if she joined TSR 😂
Original post by RyanC_
I will! 😂 I hope that doesn't happen :s-smilie:

That is true, I do have a shopping problem so I have or have had everything I need.. It's annoying though when it's something I have had (and given away) and then I realise I need it now. :fuhrer::mad: .. BTW buying command strips on Amazon has expanded to all sorts of things and my basket is at £20.02 :eek: and the command strips are only £3 so that's a lot of extra stuff 😂

I was very lucky in that aspect, I chose IT originally but because of my other subjects, it was impossible for me to take it so I had to take Business which I ended up really liking.. IDK if I would’ve had any kind of plan if that didn't happen.. It would be really funny if she joined TSR 😂

Ughhhh that happens to me all of the time! I give something away to someone and the next day, I need it for something. :redface: Oh my goodness, what else did you buy? It never is 'just command strips'. :crazy:

Most people in my school hate IT so I'm glad I never chose it. :adore: I wanted to study Food and Nutrition because it was the only course I enjoyed from the ones on offer, but I got given Sports Studies. :eyeball: I mean, how different are they from each other lol? It kinda would be funny. :eek4:
Reply 62
Ughhhh that happens to me all of the time! I give something away to someone and the next day, I need it for something. :redface: Oh my goodness, what else did you buy? It never is 'just command strips'. :crazy:

Most people in my school hate IT so I'm glad I never chose it. :adore: I wanted to study Food and Nutrition because it was the only course I enjoyed from the ones on offer, but I got given Sports Studies. :eyeball: I mean, how different are they from each other lol? It kinda would be funny. :eek4:

I haven't bought it yet.. but there's: an academic diary (basically a planner), a calendar, a couple of Papermate flair pens (they're my fave for mind maps), sticky labels, scissors, whiteboard cleaner + a mini whiteboard so I don't always have to use paper.. I only really need the stuff in bold 😂.. I've just found out though that I might be going into town tomorrow so I can probably find lots of the stuff cheaper. (yay for ASDA and Poundland).

I've heard bad things about IT from people in my school.. it must be really boring 😂. If I ever got chosen sports studies I would literally die :rip: .. I hate PE and dread everything we do, especially football + rugby 🤮
Original post by RyanC_
I haven't bought it yet.. but there's: an academic diary (basically a planner), a calendar, a couple of Papermate flair pens (they're my fave for mind maps), sticky labels, scissors, whiteboard cleaner + a mini whiteboard so I don't always have to use paper.. I only really need the stuff in bold 😂.. I've just found out though that I might be going into town tomorrow so I can probably find lots of the stuff cheaper. (yay for ASDA and Poundland).

I've heard bad things about IT from people in my school.. it must be really boring 😂. If I ever got chosen sports studies I would literally die :rip: .. I hate PE and dread everything we do, especially football + rugby 🤮

All the things you need or want? :mmm:
Ooooooo I love Papermate Flair pens. :dance: And I need a mini whiteboard, even if I never get a proper one.... :cry2: You'll probably buy all the stuff on Amazon + things in town :rofl: Seriously though, I wish I could be as organised as you (Asda + Poundland are :borat:).

Yup, everyone hates IT- and the teacher. :shakecane: I guess it's not the practical side I hate because it's a lot better than core P.E. I have the worst teacher for core because I'm in top set (idk why) and she makes us run around a field with car tyres. :afraid: And she's really mean too. :vroam: I hate sports studies because it's so boring, the coursework takes houuuuurs and the teacher never lets you have a break. We do really terrible practicals too tbh, they aren't as bad but we do stuff like the cooper run and continuous training. :redface: So yeah, there's my terrible course and a waste of a GCSE. I mean, why couldn't I take food- or a useful course like History? :albertein:
Reply 64
All the things you need or want? :mmm:
Ooooooo I love Papermate Flair pens. :dance: And I need a mini whiteboard, even if I never get a proper one.... :cry2: You'll probably buy all the stuff on Amazon + things in town :rofl: Seriously though, I wish I could be as organised as you (Asda + Poundland are :borat:).

Yup, everyone hates IT- and the teacher. :shakecane: I guess it's not the practical side I hate because it's a lot better than core P.E. I have the worst teacher for core because I'm in top set (idk why) and she makes us run around a field with car tyres. :afraid: And she's really mean too. :vroam: I hate sports studies because it's so boring, the coursework takes houuuuurs and the teacher never lets you have a break. We do really terrible practicals too tbh, they aren't as bad but we do stuff like the cooper run and continuous training. :redface: So yeah, there's my terrible course and a waste of a GCSE. I mean, why couldn't I take food- or a useful course like History? :albertein:

Wellllllll I suppose I only realllllly actually need the scissors because mine are blunt and can't even cut paper 😂. Yeah.. I'll probably end up with more than I ever intended :mmm: . I should do a haul next week 😂.

:shock: Car tyres!? you poor things.. we've never had to do that! I hate the cooper run :nope: do you have to do the bleep/beep/whatever test too?

I don't like History... I find it kinda boring and there's stupid long essays that have to be written + I'm a very slow writer.. that's partly why I struggle so much in English because I don't have the time to write everything :frown:
Original post by RyanC_
Wellllllll I suppose I only realllllly actually need the scissors because mine are blunt and can't even cut paper 😂. Yeah.. I'll probably end up with more than I ever intended :mmm: . I should do a haul next week 😂.

:shock: Car tyres!? you poor things.. we've never had to do that! I hate the cooper run :nope: do you have to do the bleep/beep/whatever test too?

I don't like History... I find it kinda boring and there's stupid long essays that have to be written + I'm a very slow writer.. that's partly why I struggle so much in English because I don't have the time to write everything :frown:

Lmao I knew this would happen. :yep: You always buy something extra (I do it too so it's fine :borat:)

Yup car tyres. If it's not car tyres then it's the cooper run. If it's not the cooper run then it's 30 mins continuous training. :fan: If it's none of those then it's something worse (boxercise ewwwww). And yes, we do the bleep test ughhhhhh :thumbsdown:. Have you ever done fartlek training? :egg: The worst thing is, I'm looking forward to my new timetable because this year I had P.E three times on a Wednesday. Double Sports studies, then core and I almost died. :mad2: Whereas everybody else had like double art and P.E. :frown:

Tbh idk what History is like, but I'd rather have it than sports studies. :work:
Reply 66
Lmao I knew this would happen. :yep: You always buy something extra (I do it too so it's fine :borat:)

Yup car tyres. If it's not car tyres then it's the cooper run. If it's not the cooper run then it's 30 mins continuous training. :fan: If it's none of those then it's something worse (boxercise ewwwww). And yes, we do the bleep test ughhhhhh :thumbsdown:. Have you ever done fartlek training? :egg: The worst thing is, I'm looking forward to my new timetable because this year I had P.E three times on a Wednesday. Double Sports studies, then core and I almost died. :mad2: Whereas everybody else had like double art and P.E. :frown:

Tbh idk what History is like, but I'd rather have it than sports studies. :work:

I made a shopping list... let's just say it's.. extensive :colondollar::rolleyes:

Yeah, we once tried fartlek training.. I just walked whenever the teacher looked in a different direction 😂. That is an awful timetable, I had one lesson of PE last period on a Wednesday and that was enough for me.. I can't imagine all that in one day!! I'm hoping my timetable is similar this year since I liked this one which actually changed halfway through the year, I used to have PE 4th period and I had completely different teachers.

Neither tbh, I took geography right from the start since I thought it would be more interesting.. this year it has proved not to be :frown:
Original post by RyanC_
I made a shopping list... let's just say it's.. extensive :colondollar::rolleyes:

Yeah, we once tried fartlek training.. I just walked whenever the teacher looked in a different direction 😂. That is an awful timetable, I had one lesson of PE last period on a Wednesday and that was enough for me.. I can't imagine all that in one day!! I'm hoping my timetable is similar this year since I liked this one which actually changed halfway through the year, I used to have PE 4th period and I had completely different teachers.

Neither tbh, I took geography right from the start since I thought it would be more interesting.. this year it has proved not to be :frown:

:blow: Let's see if you can keep to that list.

You see, that never works with our teacher. If she catches you walking, she makes you run even more. :elefant: I hope my timetable is a little better this year. :adore:

Awwww well I guess it can only get better. Whicj subjects do you enjoy (other than business studies)? :console:
Reply 68
Original post by Roses &amp
:blow: Let's see if you can keep to that list.

You see, that never works with our teacher. If she catches you walking, she makes you run even more. :elefant: I hope my timetable is a little better this year. :adore:

Awwww well I guess it can only get better. Whicj subjects do you enjoy (other than business studies)? :console:

I won’t be keeping to the list.. because I deleted it by accident 😂 and I’ve only remembered half of it... shopping so far is not going well 😬.

I think it will get better, it was good in Y9 but our teacher left on maternity leave and she’s coming back next year.. I like maths, sometimes French physics + chemistry ... TBH though, I seem to like a subject when I’m doing well in it 😂.. I would say maths is my favourite 🙂
Original post by RyanC_
I won’t be keeping to the list.. because I deleted it by accident 😂 and I’ve only remembered half of it... shopping so far is not going well 😬.

I think it will get better, it was good in Y9 but our teacher left on maternity leave and she’s coming back next year.. I like maths, sometimes French physics + chemistry ... TBH though, I seem to like a subject when I’m doing well in it 😂.. I would say maths is my favourite 🙂

You'll probably add extra stuff on now lmao. :eyeball:

Woooooo French and Chem gang. :dumbells: Tbh though I cannot stand physics ; maths is OK but physics... oof :argh: Lmao it's only natural that you like those subjects because you study more for them, meaning that you get higher grades.

Spoiler

I feel so much better atm, I have just had a French misconception answered that I have been wondering about for months. :adore:
Reply 70
You'll probably add extra stuff on now lmao. :eyeball:

Woooooo French and Chem gang. :dumbells: Tbh though I cannot stand physics ; maths is OK but physics... oof :argh: Lmao it's only natural that you like those subjects because you study more for them, meaning that you get higher grades.

Spoiler

I feel so much better atm, I have just had a French misconception answered that I have been wondering about for months. :adore:

The whiteboard is up again.. for now .. it did go a bit wrong though and lots of the paint behind it came off the wall (luckily you can’t see it) 😬. Let’s hope it stays up on the wall for more than 2 days this time 😁..

Tbh, I didn’t really like chemistry but my grade went up to an 8 cos of the great teacher so now that I feel more confident, I enjoy it more :smile: .. I think I like subjects when I feel confident in them, which makes sense.

I’ll help 😁 even though we haven’t learnt lots of the content..

That’s good :biggrin: I’m interested now though, what was your misconception?
Original post by RyanC_
The whiteboard is up again.. for now .. it did go a bit wrong though and lots of the paint behind it came off the wall (luckily you can’t see it) 😬. Let’s hope it stays up on the wall for more than 2 days this time 😁..

Tbh, I didn’t really like chemistry but my grade went up to an 8 cos of the great teacher so now that I feel more confident, I enjoy it more :smile: .. I think I like subjects when I feel confident in them, which makes sense.

I’ll help 😁 even though we haven’t learnt lots of the content..

That’s good :biggrin: I’m interested now though, what was your misconception?

Whew, let's see how long it lasts. :dontknow: You never know, it may surprise us. I'm still trying to persuade my parents to buy me one lol. :albertein:

I love Chemistry, I prefer Biology but Chem is definitely my second favourite. :jive: For AS level I'm taking French, English Lit, Biology and Chem but I'll see how Chem goes before dropping it. :yep: Why am I talking about my future lmao, I'm going into Year 10.:colonhash:

Thank goodness. :adore: Tbh neither have we so there's nothing to worry about there.

Idk if it's right and I really don't want to confuse anybody lol. Could I just ask you a question though?

Would you make an adjective agree after 'c'est'? For example:
J'adore ma maison parce que c'est belle.
Reply 72
Whew, let's see how long it lasts. :dontknow: You never know, it may surprise us. I'm still trying to persuade my parents to buy me one lol. :albertein:

I love Chemistry, I prefer Biology but Chem is definitely my second favourite. :jive: For AS level I'm taking French, English Lit, Biology and Chem but I'll see how Chem goes before dropping it. :yep: Why am I talking about my future lmao, I'm going into Year 10.:colonhash:

Thank goodness. :adore: Tbh neither have we so there's nothing to worry about there.

Idk if it's right and I really don't want to confuse anybody lol. Could I just ask you a question though?

Would you make an adjective agree after 'c'est'? For example:
J'adore ma maison parce que c'est belle.

Yep 😂.. it is still there.. I really hope it lasts I love having a whiteboard there and it breaks up the wall a bit instead of just being one boring colour..

I don’t like biology :nope: it’s too complicated... It’s good to think about the future, I know when I was even in Y7 I was thinking about uni etc. However, I’m now thinking about doing a levels (my only option) then maybe doing an apprenticeship because lots of people my parents know went down that route and are very successful people. I don’t know though 😂

I would when it’s in a sentence like that .. but if it’s on it’s own (e.g. c’est beau) it would be masculine.. however, I don’t really know when that would be on its own tbh 😂.
Original post by RyanC_
Yep 😂.. it is still there.. I really hope it lasts I love having a whiteboard there and it breaks up the wall a bit instead of just being one boring colour..

I don’t like biology :nope: it’s too complicated... It’s good to think about the future, I know when I was even in Y7 I was thinking about uni etc. However, I’m now thinking about doing a levels (my only option) then maybe doing an apprenticeship because lots of people my parents know went down that route and are very successful people. I don’t know though 😂

I would when it’s in a sentence like that .. but if it’s on it’s own (e.g. c’est beau) it would be masculine.. however, I don’t really know when that would be on its own tbh 😂.

I would be glad to have a whiteboard. :yep:

You don't like Bio? :cry2: I only really started thinking about the future when I joined TSR tbh. I saw so much for A levels and I was thinking.... hmmmmm what would I choose? :colondollar: An apprenticeship may be good ; do whatever makes you happy and that you feel will give you good opportunities in the future. :biggrin:

Ah, but you see, that's where the misconception lies (not in the c'est beau bit, that's fine I guess). :cookie:
Reply 74
I would be glad to have a whiteboard. :yep:

You don't like Bio? :cry2: I only really started thinking about the future when I joined TSR tbh. I saw so much for A levels and I was thinking.... hmmmmm what would I choose? :colondollar: An apprenticeship may be good ; do whatever makes you happy and that you feel will give you good opportunities in the future. :biggrin:

Ah, but you see, that's where the misconception lies (not in the c'est beau bit, that's fine I guess). :cookie:

I am :biggrin:

Part of the reason I don't like it is because of the teacher I had who wasn't very good (or maybe she was and I just got so bored in all of her lessons that I didn't pay proper attention)... oops... TSR did make me think much more about studying, that's the reason I made this GYG and it has been really helpful for me :smile:.. I'm still not sure because where I live means that any accounting jobs will be in places with a commute of 1hr+ there and then another 1hr back... which makes me wonder if there's any point. Also, I realllllly want to move out and become more independent which would probably be impossible on most apprentice wages... Basically, it comes down to money, like most things😂

Oh dear... maybe ask your French teacher?
Finally, I found your new GYG.
Good luck :woo:
Can I be tagged?
Original post by RyanC_
I am :biggrin:

Part of the reason I don't like it is because of the teacher I had who wasn't very good (or maybe she was and I just got so bored in all of her lessons that I didn't pay proper attention)... oops... TSR did make me think much more about studying, that's the reason I made this GYG and it has been really helpful for me :smile:.. I'm still not sure because where I live means that any accounting jobs will be in places with a commute of 1hr+ there and then another 1hr back... which makes me wonder if there's any point. Also, I realllllly want to move out and become more independent which would probably be impossible on most apprentice wages... Basically, it comes down to money, like most things😂

Oh dear... maybe ask your French teacher?

Lmao well my Biology teacher last year was amazing ; true he wasn't the most enthusiastic buuuuuut, I find the subject interesting (human Biology is awesome: heart diagrams and learning how everything works :u:). Making my GYG has encouraged me to make the most of my time lol, but the other threads have also really helped me and the people here are so kind. :dance: There's always the problem of you live or money. :emo:

I asked somebody on TSR and I know the answer now. My French teacher confused me a little with it.
Reply 77
Original post by Satyr
Finally, I found your new GYG.
Good luck :woo:
Can I be tagged?

Yay :biggrin:, thank you!
Of course, I'll tag u on the next update (Wednesday) :smile:
Reply 78
Lmao well my Biology teacher last year was amazing ; true he wasn't the most enthusiastic buuuuuut, I find the subject interesting (human Biology is awesome: heart diagrams and learning how everything works :u:). Making my GYG has encouraged me to make the most of my time lol, but the other threads have also really helped me and the people here are so kind. :dance: There's always the problem of you live or money. :emo:

I asked somebody on TSR and I know the answer now. My French teacher confused me a little with it.

I do find that interesting but all the processes + terminology confuse me.. Like, I'm still not sure what homeostasis is 😂..

Yes! Everyone on here is so kind and helpful, any thread post I've made has been answered and no one has got mad at me or anything yet :biggrin:.

They do both seem to be major problems with me :frown:.. I am coming round to the idea of an apprenticeship though, it seems to be getting more popular and I would rather earn ~£15,000 per year + live with my parents for a couple of years (while saving) than potentially spending ~£20,000 per year (maybe overestimating) on uni.. Also, its good for confidence + experience.. e.g. my cousin has just joined an apprenticeship after 2 years at college and she's loving it and has already become much more confident..

Thats good :smile:
Original post by RyanC_
I do find that interesting but all the processes + terminology confuse me.. Like, I'm still not sure what homeostasis is 😂..

Yes! Everyone on here is so kind and helpful, any thread post I've made has been answered and no one has got mad at me or anything yet :biggrin:.

They do both seem to be major problems with me :frown:.. I am coming round to the idea of an apprenticeship though, it seems to be getting more popular and I would rather earn ~£15,000 per year + live with my parents for a couple of years (while saving) than potentially spending ~£20,000 per year (maybe overestimating) on uni.. Also, its good for confidence + experience.. e.g. my cousin has just joined an apprenticeship after 2 years at college and she's loving it and has already become much more confident..

Thats good :smile:

Fair enough. I mean after learning about houseflies and disease in Bio, I can't stand the creatures (not that I liked them in the first place but you know). :blah:

If you think an apprenticeship is the right route for you, then go for it. Think over your options, but if it's what makes you happy then that's what you have to pursue. :albertein: Yup you overestimated quite a bit on Uni, to go to a top Uni such as Oxford it costs £9,000 ish per year. And you don't have to pay it back straight away either, I think you have the option of paying back when you are earning £25,000 (around that sum) per year. :awesome: Anyway, don't quote me on that I've probably got most of if wrong lol but just go for the option you'll enjoy most. You have plenty of time to choose. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest