The Student Room Group

Accountancy or Computer Programmer?

I am in Year 11 choosing my A level subjects, I am confused about what to do. Either Accountancy or Computer programming. I would want to choose the best A levels for my future career. I don't know much about what an accountant does but I heard they do earn lots of money. I am in a tight decision at the moment.

Thanks.
Here's some typical job profiles in case this helps:
Computer programmers (software engineers): https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/software-engineer
Accountants: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/chartered-accountant

But really, don't worry if you still don't know what you want to do with your future - Most people in school, college and university have no idea what they want to do with their life or what kind of career would suit them, and a lot of people don't really figure it out until sometime in their 20s or even 30s. I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do after A-Levels letalone during GCSEs, and plenty of my friends didn't really know themselves either.

I'd recommend choosing subjects that you think you'll enjoy and be successful in - there's a lot of work to do to get the best grades regardless of the subject you pick; If you can aim to score A or A* then that's great because better grades will help you open up better opportunities when you finish - whether that's for applying to University, or some kind of Higher Apprenticeship.

A lot of universities are actually fairly flexible on entry requirements anyway - although a lot of 'STEM' degrees (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) at higher-ranked universities need A-Level maths, so if Maths is a subject you enjoy and you're interested in computers/programming or accountancy/finance then Maths is an obvious choice. (And if you enjoy programming then Computer Science would make sense at A-Level too, but it's not essential)

You're at least a couple of years away from really needing to worry about choosing a career anyway. Actually a lot of university graduates end up working in jobs which aren't related to their degree - the choices you're making now aren't going to prevent you from changing your mind later (although again, A-Level maths is probably the one subject which really makes a difference in keeping options open). Some people don't even go directly into university anyway and decide to take a gap year for a job or a bit of travelling while they figure out what to do next.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks, I got peace of mind now. :smile:
Original post by winterscoming
Here's some typical job profiles in case this helps:
Computer programmers (software engineers): https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/software-engineer
Accountants: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/chartered-accountant

But really, don't worry if you still don't know what you want to do with your future - Most people in school, college and university have no idea what they want to do with their life or what kind of career would suit them, and a lot of people don't really figure it out until sometime in their 20s or even 30s. I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do after A-Levels letalone during GCSEs, and plenty of my friends didn't really know themselves either.

I'd recommend choosing subjects that you think you'll enjoy and be successful in - there's a lot of work to do to get the best grades regardless of the subject you pick; If you can aim to score A or A* then that's great because better grades will help you open up better opportunities when you finish - whether that's for applying to University, or some kind of Higher Apprenticeship.

A lot of universities are actually fairly flexible on entry requirements anyway - although a lot of 'STEM' degrees (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) at higher-ranked universities need A-Level maths, so if Maths is a subject you enjoy and you're interested in computers/programming or accountancy/finance then Maths is an obvious choice. (And if you enjoy programming then Computer Science would make sense at A-Level too, but it's not essential)

You're at least a couple of years away from really needing to worry about choosing a career anyway. Actually a lot of university graduates end up working in jobs which aren't related to their degree - the choices you're making now aren't going to prevent you from changing your mind later (although again, A-Level maths is probably the one subject which really makes a difference in keeping options open). Some people don't even go directly into university anyway and decide to take a gap year for a job or a bit of travelling while they figure out what to do next.
Reply 3
Original post by Zuavo
I am in Year 11 choosing my A level subjects, I am confused about what to do. Either Accountancy or Computer programming. I would want to choose the best A levels for my future career. I don't know much about what an accountant does but I heard they do earn lots of money. I am in a tight decision at the moment.

Thanks.

For accountancy high grades matter a lot (I guess far more than IT) so as said above you should consider which your best subjects are. The type of subjects people pick for computer science would work perfectly well for accountancy. For that matter you can enter accounting with a computer science degree.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
For accountancy high grades matter a lot (I guess far more than IT) so as said above you should consider which your best subjects are. The type of subjects people pick for computer science would work perfectly well for accountancy. For that matter you can enter accounting with a computer science degree.

Hey, sorry for late response but I am choosing to be an accountant. I am going to study Business, Economics, and Computer science. I dont know whether I should choose A level Business or A level Maths. I am going to enrol in my college next week. Can you respond quickly please. Thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by Zuavo
Hey, sorry for late response but I am choosing to be an accountant. I am going to study Business, Economics, and Computer science. I dont know whether I should choose A level Business or A level Maths. I am going to enrol in my college next week. Can you respond quickly please. Thank you.

Thats a really tough one. How good are you at maths? If good enough to be pretty confident of a good grade you should take it. If a bit less confident maybe not. Maths is way better than business, but not if you struggle, get a poor grade and drag your other subjects down.
[If your just chasing money computer programming probably isn't a good option]
Original post by Zuavo

Thanks.

Short answer
Do what you enjoy.

Just choose a couple of subjects you like that will keep your options open. For instance, choosing Maths as one of your subjects will help you get into Computer Science or Accounting - that way, you are keeping your options open and can meditate on this more as a full year progresses.

More info
I'd say accountancy will, in a couple of years, be increasingly automated away by machines and AI.

When you are considering your career, you should think more... holistically. Because... a lot of people don't know what career they want. That doesn't mean you should move aimlessly. But know that it's always possible to pivot.

If you're purely focused on having the most security, programming is probably the better choice for you, though in several years, a lot of programming may even be automated. If you can learn to use a computer very well, you can essentially pivot easier than other people who don't know how to use a computer well for instance in the event you didn't like programming or software development and such.

Anyway, why are you trying to decide things right now? What I mean is... why are you narrowing your options right now? Most universities only need a couple of subjects that you are doing to enter their degree, and some don't even need any specific subjects. For example, anyone can enter a computer science degree (pretty much). Of course, doing Maths or Computer Science at A level may help increase your chances of entering (obviously depending on the university), but Maths can also help in engineering, or accounting, or medicine etc., etc.
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Thats a really tough one. How good are you at maths? If good enough to be pretty confident of a good grade you should take it. If a bit less confident maybe not. Maths is way better than business, but not if you struggle, get a poor grade and drag your other subjects down.

Yeah thanks, I’m not that confident at A level maths sounds hard
Reply 9
Original post by Kiritsugu
Short answer
Do what you enjoy.

Just choose a couple of subjects you like that will keep your options open. For instance, choosing Maths as one of your subjects will help you get into Computer Science or Accounting - that way, you are keeping your options open and can meditate on this more as a full year progresses.

More info
I'd say accountancy will, in a couple of years, be increasingly automated away by machines and AI.

When you are considering your career, you should think more... holistically. Because... a lot of people don't know what career they want. That doesn't mean you should move aimlessly. But know that it's always possible to pivot.

If you're purely focused on having the most security, programming is probably the better choice for you, though in several years, a lot of programming may even be automated. If you can learn to use a computer very well, you can essentially pivot easier than other people who don't know how to use a computer well for instance in the event you didn't like programming or software development and such.

Anyway, why are you trying to decide things right now? What I mean is... why are you narrowing your options right now? Most universities only need a couple of subjects that you are doing to enter their degree, and some don't even need any specific subjects. For example, anyone can enter a computer science degree (pretty much). Of course, doing Maths or Computer Science at A level may help increase your chances of entering (obviously depending on the university), but Maths can also help in engineering, or accounting, or medicine etc., etc.

Oh ok, thanks. I am getting my results today. I might not do A level maths but will do Business instead. I want to become an accountant
I just finished my a levels and did maths, computing and business but I can easily say business was my absolute favourite by far. Accounting and business are really good to do together too
Original post by Zuavo
Oh ok, thanks. I am getting my results today. I might not do A level maths but will do Business instead. I want to become an accountant

Maths is much more important to an accountant than business. Taking Business rather than Maths will set you back from top universities and top jobs in both Accounting and Computer Science, and Business helps with neither, especially if you have Economics in the mix as well.
If I were you I'd do computer programming cause it'd make it much easier when you go to uni if you choose that route.
Whereas Accounting even with no prior experience you can excel in at uni if you're fundamentally good at maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending