The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Optometry at Huddersfield

Hey, anyone got into optometry at Huddersfield? If so, how are you feeling? There's only 30 people on the course lol

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Hi I am also on this course and they did say there are 30 places (subject to change). I have already been at Huddersfield for a year and got my place through a foundation year :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am also on this course and they did say there are 30 places (subject to change). I have already been at Huddersfield for a year and got my place through a foundation year :smile:

Hey, I got in through clearing. I only found out Huddersfield did optometry when I checked on ucas clearing list. How do you find Huddersfield uni? I've never been there before :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TSR_Ollie
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I do this?

Thank youuu!!
It is a new course starting for the first time at Huddersfield. I quite like the uni, the people and staff are very friendly and helpful.
Reply 6
hi, I want to apply for the foundation year to do optometry. was the foundation year hard because I only did btec applied science which was all course work and no exams! Please help I have only a week to decide. :frown:
The year is based on 50% coursework and 50% examinations. I would say it was a challenge with time management as you always have work to do but the nature of the work is similar to A-level. There were many people on my course that did BTECs so you should be fine. You would need 65%-70% overall to transfer to Optometry. If you don’t manage a high percentage, you are always guaranteed entry to their other applied science courses when passing the year :smile:
Reply 8
What is the name of the foundation year you did and was it at Huddersfield?
Hi, I wanted to ask what a levels or btec did you do? And do Huddersfield accept a foundation year?
The year is based on 50% coursework and 50% examinations. I would say it was a challenge with time management as you always have work to do but the nature of the work is similar to A-level. There were many people on my course that did BTECs so you should be fine. You would need 65%-70% overall to transfer to Optometry. If you don’t manage a high percentage, you are always guaranteed entry to their other applied science courses when passing the year :smile:

Do they accept people who have done just applied science at level 3 for a foundation year?
Original post by maariyahi53
Hey, anyone got into optometry at Huddersfield? If so, how are you feeling? There's only 30 people on the course lol

What's the course like there?
Hi , sorry I confused, how can I apply for foundation year in this university? Because I found if I apply for Optometry in this university , the university will give me offer foundation year or i have to apply separately for foundation year?
Reply 13
Original post by Alireza Mahdian
Hi , sorry I confused, how can I apply for foundation year in this university? Because I found if I apply for Optometry in this university , the university will give me offer foundation year or i have to apply separately for foundation year?

You have to apply for the foundation year separately on UCAS.

Hi, I’m sorry I don’t actually know I can’t help you with that maybe someone else can. Also what university is it that you’re looking at?

Hello @Alireza Mahdian,

Would you like to drop us an email at [email protected] and we can have a chat with you about this? Or you can chat with our student recruitment team on Unibuddy here: https://www.hud.ac.uk/chat-with-our-students/ under the 'staff' header.

Many thanks,
Julie
UoH

Hi! I’m starting a foundation year in September for optometry at Huddersfield it’s the science Extended degree, do you have any advice for me ? I would be very grateful
Reply 17
Hi , i am due to go on the optom foundation course at huddersfield but not sure whether to commute or stay over in student accomodation.. would you be able to advise on your timetable for the optom foundation course..many thanks
Just wanted to know aprox how many days the foundation year consisted of. I done know whether to commute or pay for accommodation. I do understand covid kicked in but just wanted a rough idea on the timetable.
Original post by Just need advise
Just wanted to know aprox how many days the foundation year consisted of. I done know whether to commute or pay for accommodation. I do understand covid kicked in but just wanted a rough idea on the timetable.

I did it last year, I'm on optometry now. The course was 4-5 days a week. Occasionally we had 3 day weeks but hardly anything less. Keep in mind that there are a lot of students on the foundation year and only a select number of them get onto optometry.

Quick Reply