Mental health and medical conditions decreasing my grades 😕 Watch

1#34
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I struggle with anxiety, depression, paranoia and I also have a lot of breakdowns my GCSE’s starts when I go back to school and I missed a lot in my previous school year. I’m always worrying about failing because I know I’m going to fail, I try to study but I just freeze and start to cry. I don’t know how to have a positive mindset considering my family’s going through a lot and I also have a medical condition that requires me to miss around 2 weeks of school each month so I’m missing a lot of school. I try talk to my friends and family but they just don’t understand what I’m saying and I’m not sure why. I very rarely go into school because of my mental situations like I am very scared to sleep most nights and I see a lot of ‘horror’ things that my head makes up which stops me from sleeping and then that stops me from going tk school because I haven’t slept all night so when I fall asleep it’s only around 1 hour before I need to wake up for school and obviously only just turning 15 that takes a huge toll on my body. I’m also sick a lot of mornings because I have panic sometimes and we aren’t aloud to go in school if you have been sick 48hours previously so that also makes me not able to go to school. I just need help and I’m very stuck with what to do. I’m not sure if any of that made sense because I can hardly think. Thanks for reading this huge para, does anyone have some tips that may help me? Thank you.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you getting support from a mental health team currently?
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1#34)
I struggle with anxiety, depression, paranoia and I also have a lot of breakdowns my GCSE’s starts when I go back to school and I missed a lot in my previous school year. I’m always worrying about failing because I know I’m going to fail, I try to study but I just freeze and start to cry. I don’t know how to have a positive mindset considering my family’s going through a lot and I also have a medical condition that requires me to miss around 2 weeks of school each month so I’m missing a lot of school. I try talk to my friends and family but they just don’t understand what I’m saying and I’m not sure why. I very rarely go into school because of my mental situations like I am very scared to sleep most nights and I see a lot of ‘horror’ things that my head makes up which stops me from sleeping and then that stops me from going tk school because I haven’t slept all night so when I fall asleep it’s only around 1 hour before I need to wake up for school and obviously only just turning 15 that takes a huge toll on my body. I’m also sick a lot of mornings because I have panic sometimes and we aren’t aloud to go in school if you have been sick 48hours previously so that also makes me not able to go to school. I just need help and I’m very stuck with what to do. I’m not sure if any of that made sense because I can hardly think. Thanks for reading this huge para, does anyone have some tips that may help me? Thank you.
Get to the GP to discuss possible support. Don't just allow poor mental health the run your life. Seek help. There are lots of routes you can go down that might help. Open up, talk to someone.
1#34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nerol)
Get to the GP to discuss possible support. Don't just allow poor mental health the run your life. Seek help. There are lots of routes you can go down that might help. Open up, talk to someone.
I’ve seen my GP but theirs a waiting list for mental health and it’s taking ages. Theirs an urgent care and to get on that they said you have to be in a dangerous situation if you get what that means and it’s stupid.
bren_da
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps you can trying going to online counselling instead. It's faster, and there are affordable ones.
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1#34)
I’ve seen my GP but theirs a waiting list for mental health and it’s taking ages. Theirs an urgent care and to get on that they said you have to be in a dangerous situation if you get what that means and it’s stupid.
It is likely they will offer you medication while you wait for talking therapies. An alternative would be to search for a private counsellor. These generally charge around £40 per hour. The waiting list for group therapy is shorter and they can also offer online therapy, such as CBT.

You could also try mindfulness exercises, like meditation. There are apps like Headspace and Calm, which have guided meditations. It's great for relaxation and focus.
1#34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nerol)
It is likely they will offer you medication while you wait for talking therapies. An alternative would be to search for a private counsellor. These generally charge around £40 per hour. The waiting list for group therapy is shorter and they can also offer online therapy, such as CBT.

You could also try mindfulness exercises, like meditation. There are apps like Headspace and Calm, which have guided meditations. It's great for relaxation and focus.
I’m broke, and I’ll try out the apps. Thank you sm
1#34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
No, I went to the doctors and they put me on a waiting list for a mental health thing but they are taking ages as there’s a lot of people in front of me
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1#34)
I'm so sorry you are going through this, anxiety is such an awful mental illness and I don't think anyone understands the full pain and fear that someone is going through at a time like GCSEs or simple social interactions unless they are anxiety sufferers or therapists. I struggle with anxiety myself and I developed it when I was 15 also, I started to develop a stomach ulcer because of being scared all the time and the stomach acid was overproduced which is why I had to go to the GP or else it would have been never diagnosed. I had a 3 month wait before they could fit me in at CAMHS for a 6 week CBT therapy. I really do get what you mean by worrying about failing even if you are trying because that was exactly my thought process coz u worry about everything. I also understand the paranoia as when I used to watch horror movies I imagined the ghosts or whatever happened around me at night it was so stupid but that stopped me sleeping even months after watching the film it never went away. And as for the depression it kind of developed for me with the anxiety as I couldn't do any of the things my friends did and found it so difficult to interact with my teachers and friends coz I was so nervous all the time I would often be sick in the mornings because of the acid that had built of because of being nervous and anxious. I think you should speak to someone at school like a school counsellor and meet up with them for regular sessions before you get seen by CAMHS from the waiting list. And I know this sounds so difficult but anyone that will listen to you about your anxiety and depression, like your family even if they do not understand talk to them at least before you get seen by CAMHS as bottling it up makes it worse. And as others have said try meditation, try using headspace and see if it is atleast helping a bit. And also talk to anyone else with anxiety as they might give some tips.
Also, just want to say you are an amazing person and the mental problems you are going through are only going to make you stronger and even though you might not be able to imagine it now just remember it won't always be like this you might see a dramatic change after a month or 2 of therapy so we cannot worry about what will happen. And by my experience, this is true it has been 2 years after I was diagnosed with therapy and I'm not going to lie saying it has gone away, but it has significantly reduced and there are hard days but just remember it will not be like that tomorrow.
I really hope you find the help you need from therapy and challenge the anxiety and depression, you won't let it take over you, you will win it in the end!
1#34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm so sorry you are going through this, anxiety is such an awful mental illness and I don't think anyone understands the full pain and fear that someone is going through at a time like GCSEs or simple social interactions unless they are anxiety sufferers or therapists. I struggle with anxiety myself and I developed it when I was 15 also, I started to develop a stomach ulcer because of being scared all the time and the stomach acid was overproduced which is why I had to go to the GP or else it would have been never diagnosed. I had a 3 month wait before they could fit me in at CAMHS for a 6 week CBT therapy. I really do get what you mean by worrying about failing even if you are trying because that was exactly my thought process coz u worry about everything. I also understand the paranoia as when I used to watch horror movies I imagined the ghosts or whatever happened around me at night it was so stupid but that stopped me sleeping even months after watching the film it never went away. And as for the depression it kind of developed for me with the anxiety as I couldn't do any of the things my friends did and found it so difficult to interact with my teachers and friends coz I was so nervous all the time I would often be sick in the mornings because of the acid that had built of because of being nervous and anxious. I think you should speak to someone at school like a school counsellor and meet up with them for regular sessions before you get seen by CAMHS from the waiting list. And I know this sounds so difficult but anyone that will listen to you about your anxiety and depression, like your family even if they do not understand talk to them at least before you get seen by CAMHS as bottling it up makes it worse. And as others have said try meditation, try using headspace and see if it is atleast helping a bit. And also talk to anyone else with anxiety as they might give some tips.
Also, just want to say you are an amazing person and the mental problems you are going through are only going to make you stronger and even though you might not be able to imagine it now just remember it won't always be like this you might see a dramatic change after a month or 2 of therapy so we cannot worry about what will happen. And by my experience, this is true it has been 2 years after I was diagnosed with therapy and I'm not going to lie saying it has gone away, but it has significantly reduced and there are hard days but just remember it will not be like that tomorrow.
I really hope you find the help you need from therapy and challenge the anxiety and depression, you won't let it take over you, you will win it in the end!
Wow, your situation is so similar to mine. I’ve tried to talk to my friends and my mum but after I say something I just feel down and regret saying something. I’ve tried to use headphones but I get scared instantly because I might not hear if something is happening or I might not hear a noise. Thank you sm for your help, it’s made me feel like I can get better if someone who was my age has gotten better. Also I’m sorry you had to go through what I am, it’s horrible and I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through it.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1#34)
Wow, your situation is so similar to mine. I’ve tried to talk to my friends and my mum but after I say something I just feel down and regret saying something. I’ve tried to use headphones but I get scared instantly because I might not hear if something is happening or I might not hear a noise. Thank you sm for your help, it’s made me feel like I can get better if someone who was my age has gotten better. Also I’m sorry you had to go through what I am, it’s horrible and I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through it.
I know I srsly could not believe there would be someone else going through this like at that point in my life I thought no one was like me but I'm glad to be of some help to someone at least years later. I regretted saying some things to my parents aswell mostly coz I thought they would think I'm crazy for being scared for no reason all the time, but they never say anything about it, its always our mind making up things that make us think others are judgemental to our problem. It will be okay, just try all your best to do anything that will reduce the fear as that is all that will help in these situations.
1#34
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So an update. I’ve been put as having depression, anxiety, an eating disorder, ocd and paranoia. I’m currently not at school becuase the team I’m involved with said they think it’s better for me to stay off school until I’m ready to go back. I’m still not sleeping, when the girls come to my house this week they are going to speak to me about a lot more stuff. I had to tell them EVERYTHING I broke down crying while telling them everything because I hate telling people how I’m feeling and it makes me feel weak. I had a doctors appointment to be given anti-depressants and sleeping tablets but the doctor said it’s illegal (I’m pretty sure it’s not but he didn’t seam to be in the mood to be at work that day) so when the girls come one day this week they are going to try sort it out. I’ve been put on tier 3.
I constantly feel lonely because my friends are always going out and doing things but my mum won’t let me go becuase I didn’t go to school. She makes me feel worse about myself some days if I’m honest. When the girls came last week they asked what made me happy and I said going out with my friends being involved in the stuff they are doing but I feel like my mum just doesn’t seem to care. I don’t know what to do because whenever I try talk to someone i seams like they don’t care😕
1#34
Rep:
?
At the time no but starting last week a team I’m involved in are trying to help
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1#34)
So an update. I’ve been put as having depression, anxiety, an eating disorder, ocd and paranoia. I’m currently not at school becuase the team I’m involved with said they think it’s better for me to stay off school until I’m ready to go back. I’m still not sleeping, when the girls come to my house this week they are going to speak to me about a lot more stuff. I had to tell them EVERYTHING I broke down crying while telling them everything because I hate telling people how I’m feeling and it makes me feel weak. I had a doctors appointment to be given anti-depressants and sleeping tablets but the doctor said it’s illegal (I’m pretty sure it’s not but he didn’t seam to be in the mood to be at work that day) so when the girls come one day this week they are going to try sort it out. I’ve been put on tier 3.
I constantly feel lonely because my friends are always going out and doing things but my mum won’t let me go becuase I didn’t go to school. She makes me feel worse about myself some days if I’m honest. When the girls came last week they asked what made me happy and I said going out with my friends being involved in the stuff they are doing but I feel like my mum just doesn’t seem to care. I don’t know what to do because whenever I try talk to someone i seams like they don’t care😕
Im glad you've been able to find help! I know its hard telling them, but hopefully as time goes you'll find you have a weight lifted of you when u tell someone that is not going to judge u for anything. and try not to think of it as making you feel weak, think of it is they are helping you get thru this sort of thing. And its okay if ur friends do that, you'll soon be able to aswell without feeling uncomfortable!!! honestly im so proud your attempting to get thru this xxx
GeolPhysics
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Take a year out until your health is better.
DedicatedWizard
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Could you please keep us updated on your journey please? I suffer from anxiety, depression, panic attacks and most recently, derealisation episodes (which is absolutely terrifying to experience). I completely understand your situation, and I hope it helps you as it is helping me that there are other people going through similar things. I finally sought out counselling from my university because it had gotten worse since GCSEs and they really did help me, the counsellor even booked me to see the university psychiatrist and he's allowed to prescribe medication that he thinks will help me the most. I have another session with him in two weeks and he will give me his diagnosis.

I was on a different antidepressant for a couple of months but I don't think it has improved my health which is why I am seeing the psychiatrist.

I completely understand about the waiting lists. Honestly, it's pretty bad how long it takes really. I waited six months for group counselling, and I'm supposed to start this month (although I didn't receive a call from them yet).

I really think the best thing to do is to find a counsellor you can talk about these things with. Will you still be to see the counsellor at your school?

Some stuff I do when I have hard days:

1. I keep myself busy whether it's reading, watching a movie, painting, writing, tidying my room, taking a walk - the best thing is keeping your mind occupied as much as possible.

2. Make a small goal for the day, if you have a depressive episode. A small goal like taking a shower or making your bed or opening the curtains to let some light in. I know it can be difficult, but if you set one achievable thing to do that day then you will feel a sense of accomplishment!

3. Find something sporty to do. You don't have to be good at it! I love swimming, which is what I do almost every day. It's another thing that you occupy yourself with, plus it's nice to relax in the pool and float. Going underwater feels like a different world and it's absolutely wonderful. Regretfully, I haven't swum much last week because my depression and anxiety were really bad that I couldn't bring myself to leave the house. You need to remind yourself that it's okay to have bad days.

4. Hang out with friends. You say your mum doesn't let you go out, I'm really sorry about that. Ask your friends to come over more often at least. Or find an online community that shares your interests in life (stay safe though).

5. I keep a small book with me that I write down things that make life worth living for each day. Even small things like sending your best friend funny memes. That way, when I have bad days, I can look through the book and be reminded of the things I enjoy about my life. It's hard to remember during depression sometimes.

I hope my post helps you in some way.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Feel free to message me in private (I usually come on in the evenings a couple of times a week) if you want to chat

Also I recommend the tv show 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend', it's on Netflix. It's a musical tv show that deals with mental health in a really good way. I love it so much I binge watch it a lot!
Last edited by DedicatedWizard; 3 weeks ago
DedicatedWizard
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Some other things I do on my bad days:

6. Visit my local farm. In London, there are plenty. When you are surrounded by animals, it brings a lot of joy. It's very therapeutic, trust me. Would be even better when there's a farm cat you can cuddle with!

7. Walk around in museums.

8. Help other friends with their own problems. It distracts me from my own issues.

9. Read threads on here!

10. Listening to music and watching TikToks (there are some hilarious ones out there!)
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1#34)
At the time no but starting last week a team I’m involved in are trying to help
(Original post by 1#34)
:console: I'm glad to hear you're getting some help now. I also have depression, GAD and anorexia nervosa (+ CPTSD and EPCACE). You're not alone in dealing with these things. It can improve but you have to be willing to work on things and it will be difficult, which can be daunting, but it will (hopefully) be worth it.

When you say your mum doesn't seem to care, has she ever been supportive or caring?

If I can help at all, please don't hesitate to reach out.
1#34
Rep:
?
:console: I'm glad to hear you're getting some help now. I also have depression, GAD and anorexia nervosa (+ CPTSD and EPCACE). You're not alone in dealing with these things. It can improve but you have to be willing to work on things and it will be difficult, which can be daunting, but it will (hopefully) be worth it.

When you say your mum doesn't seem to care, has she ever been supportive or caring?

If I can help at all, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Yeah she’s tried when I spent basically the whole summer in my room/bed but when the girls from the team I’m with comes round she acts different. She acts concerned and all that but then the next days it just seams like she doesn’t care
1#34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im glad you've been able to find help! I know its hard telling them, but hopefully as time goes you'll find you have a weight lifted of you when u tell someone that is not going to judge u for anything. and try not to think of it as making you feel weak, think of it is they are helping you get thru this sort of thing. And its okay if ur friends do that, you'll soon be able to aswell without feeling uncomfortable!!! honestly im so proud your attempting to get thru this xxx
Thank you🙂x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads