The Student Room Group

What to do if you think your university failed you purposely in exam?

So I am in my final year of medicine....i wrote my final mbbs exams in june and i failed obs and internal medicine. I failed obs by 1% and medicine by 6 marks both are OSCEs. The hOD for medicine told me the stations I failed but I know i passed atleast 4 stations they told me i failed. I passed the mcq with just over 60%. I emailed the dean cuz I am not in country I studied in . I emailed the deputy principal who put me on to someone from exam section. This person never emailed me directly this was 7 weeks ago. I got an email from the examinations section stating that the exam remark is still in progress two weeks ago. I emailed back the dep. Principal who still fowarded me to the same person. I dont think the grade will change as it OSCE there is no cameras during exam I keep on requesting since June to see the exam scripts with the comments but no one seems to care .........please assist ....asapppppp.....the deputy principal in this university serves as the office of last resort ...... I need help I didnt spend 5 years in uni to fail my final exams that I worked extremely hard to pass ....
Are you studying in the UK? If so, each university should have a clear and formal system that you can use to appeal marks / decisions by exam boards. However, you cannot usually appeal an examiner’s academic judgement of your performance, but more if you have proof that there was a procedural irregularity. Like you say, unfortunately OSCEs are not recorded, and so at the end of the day it will be your word against the examiner’s.

If I understood correctly, you failed two different OSCEs - or at the very least, stations examined by different people - obs and internal medicine. Why do you think that different people would each want to deliberately fail you? That sounds pretty extreme.

Failing final exams is really hard. What options have they given you - can you resist your exams, or resit the final year?
Reply 2
Original post by junior.doctor
Are you studying in the UK? If so, each university should have a clear and formal system that you can use to appeal marks / decisions by exam boards. However, you cannot usually appeal an examiner’s academic judgement of your performance, but more if you have proof that there was a procedural irregularity. Like you say, unfortunately OSCEs are not recorded, and so at the end of the day it will be your word against the examiner’s.

If I understood correctly, you failed two different OSCEs - or at the very least, stations examined by different people - obs and internal medicine. Why do you think that different people would each want to deliberately fail you? That sounds pretty extreme.

Failing final exams is really hard. What options have they given you - can you resist your exams, or resit the final year?

Really hard in the sense not many will fail it, or it's emotionally hard?
Original post by Narel
So I am in my final year of medicine....i wrote my final mbbs exams in june and i failed obs and internal medicine. I failed obs by 1% and medicine by 6 marks both are OSCEs. The hOD for medicine told me the stations I failed but I know i passed atleast 4 stations they told me i failed. I passed the mcq with just over 60%. I emailed the dean cuz I am not in country I studied in . I emailed the deputy principal who put me on to someone from exam section. This person never emailed me directly this was 7 weeks ago. I got an email from the examinations section stating that the exam remark is still in progress two weeks ago. I emailed back the dep. Principal who still fowarded me to the same person. I dont think the grade will change as it OSCE there is no cameras during exam I keep on requesting since June to see the exam scripts with the comments but no one seems to care .........please assist ....asapppppp.....the deputy principal in this university serves as the office of last resort ...... I need help I didnt spend 5 years in uni to fail my final exams that I worked extremely hard to pass ....

Is the medical school in the UK?
You either follow the written appeal procedure or make a complaint.
Original post by Tawheed
Really hard in the sense not many will fail it, or it's emotionally hard?

I meant hard in the emotional sense. Sorry for being ambiguous - with my post-nights brain I didn’t pick up on how that might have sounded, thanks for pointing it out. Exams are definitely very easy to fail - I have failed many many in my time :wink:
So what's your theory on why they "purposely" failed you OP? You sleep with the Principal's daughter or...?
Reply 6
Original post by Narel

Sorry to hear. Please give us some more context and maybe we can advise you better.

Is this the first or second time you’ve done final year? You may be entitled to repeat the year.
Are these two separate OSCE exams or two stations on the same OSCE?
Is there a way you can return to the country early? You may be called for a “fail meeting” (as harsh as it sounds).
Have you tried chasing up the person from exam section who you keep getting referred to? What have they said so far?
Can you make international calls from where you are now?
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
So what's your theory on why they "purposely" failed you OP? You sleep with the Principal's daughter or...?

It’s easy to dismiss someone’s grievances towards an exam with sarcasm like this when you’ve had no experience of failure yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by junior.doctor

Resit is from early november to dec....internal medicine in particular was 17 stations all together.......to pass the osce you have to pass 9 stations.....I dont think the actual examiners failed me but I think the University to maintain accreditation needs to fail people . There have been rumours throughout my uni life about this.Out of a class of 250 persons only 15 ppl failed atleast one course. I know what failure is. I failed courses in the past. By going through 5 years of uni I know when i fail an exam..... So the uni has tick sheets for the exams.Four stations that I know I passed but told I failed include an adult history, a pediatric history station psych history and psych MSE. The uni has tick sheets on what you are suppose to ask for in
osces.I fulfilled the entire tick sheet and got the diagnosis. There is also a global examimer score based on how they rate your performance. I spoke to the HOD and was told it depends on if the examiner likes you or not. So i dont go to school in the UK. The school I attend I am minority......in my whole class there are 4 people of my race.
Reply 9
Original post by asif007
Sorry to hear. Please give us some more context and maybe we can advise you better.

Is this the first or second time you’ve done final year? You may be entitled to repeat the year.
Are these two separate OSCE exams or two stations on the same OSCE?
Is there a way you can return to the country early? You may be called for a “fail meeting” (as harsh as it sounds).
Have you tried chasing up the person from exam section who you keep getting referred to? What have they said so far?
Can you make international calls from where you are now?

First attempt at final mbbs. Apparently remark takes 2-5 months to come back. I wanted to see the script as according to uni policy if they lost the script by and u fail by 5 marks they have to pass you
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by asif007
It’s easy to dismiss someone’s grievances towards an exam with sarcasm like this when you’ve had no experience of failure yourself.

I've experienced failure. I did not think it was a conspiracy against me.

It wasn't really sarcasm - it was a sceptical question. If OP has an answer, that's fine.
Reply 11
Original post by Narel
Resit is from early november to dec....internal medicine in particular was 17 stations all together.......to pass the osce you have to pass 9 stations.....I dont think the actual examiners failed me but I think the University to maintain accreditation needs to fail people . There have been rumours throughout my uni life about this.Out of a class of 250 persons only 15 ppl failed atleast one course. I know what failure is. I failed courses in the past. By going through 5 years of uni I know when i fail an exam..... So the uni has tick sheets for the exams.Four stations that I know I passed but told I failed include an adult history, a pediatric history station psych history and psych MSE. The uni has tick sheets on what you are suppose to ask for in
osces.I fulfilled the entire tick sheet and got the diagnosis. There is also a global examimer score based on how they rate your performance. I spoke to the HOD and was told it depends on if the examiner likes you or not. So i dont go to school in the UK. The school I attend I am minority......in my whole class there are 4 people of my race.

Although there are tick sheets, you can’t ‘know’ you passed the stations. Some unis also have policies whereby you can get an instant fail if you miss a certain thing, or make a certain mistake, irrespective of other things you may have done in the station. Could that be the case here?
Reply 12
Original post by Ghotay
Although there are tick sheets, you can’t ‘know’ you passed the stations. Some unis also have policies whereby you can get an instant fail if you miss a certain thing, or make a certain mistake, irrespective of other things you may have done in the station. Could that be the case here?

No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending