The Student Room Group

Does bad a levels result and doing well in a degree stop you finding work

I've recently got my results DDD and I'm debating whether to resit my a levels as I know it isn't a reflection of my potential or go to university to do mechanical engineering with a foundation year where I know I'll work as hard as I can to get a good classification. Has anyone with similar a levels to mine been severely held back in finding good job prospects in the engineering field.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mugestu01
I've recently got my results DDD and I'm debating whether to resit my a levels as I know it isn't a reflection of my potential or go to university to do mechanical engineering with a foundation year where I know I'll work as hard as I can to get a good classification. Has anyone with similar a levels to mine been severely held back in finding good job prospects in the engineering field.

No. Don't repeat your A levels. Get onto to a foundation degree course and crack on from there!

I'm a strong believer in people being able to turn things around at university level. I mean situations sometimes lead to people failing. I don't think A Levels measure intelligence well considering how you may not perform your best in these exams and also because it's difficult to quantify intelligence.
I mean as a personal example, I did make into my insurance but obviously some TSR people would debate the point in my degree if it's no 'Russell group'. But I think people can in fact work hard to get where they want to be. I still want to be a psychologist, I'm determined to still reach that goal.

You'll have no problem if you work hard and come out with an amazing classification and obvious passion/experience.
(edited 4 years ago)
Some would say it's irrelevant? The evidence...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/11/seven-ten-students-get-less-ddd-a-level-leave-university-top/

69% of those with below DDD, go onto get a 2.1 or 1st at university.

More anecdotally I read CVs of people with Bs, Cs and Ds at A-level and it usually says 2.1 and then even a master's.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4

Did you have any particular issues during your A levels - for example family or health problems?
Original post by ajj2000
Did you have any particular issues during your A levels - for example family or health problems?

Yh I had a lot of family issues around that time from the start of my second year and I was very lonely that year due to moving places so my head wasn't at the right place at the time.
Original post by marinade
Some would say it's irrelevant? The evidence...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/11/seven-ten-students-get-less-ddd-a-level-leave-university-top/

69% of those with below DDD, go onto get a 2.1 or 1st at university.

More anecdotally I read CVs of people with Bs, Cs and Ds at A-level and it usually says 2.1 and then even a master's.

Does the poor a level put u off hiring them even with the 2.1?
Reply 7
Yh I had a lot of family issues around that time from the start of my second year and I was very lonely that year due to moving places so my head wasn't at the right place at the time.

Sorry to hear. Do you have a local college where you could join the second year of A levels to resit? Where would you go for a foundation year?
Reply 8
Since I got my degree (and later MA), no one has ever asked my A-level results, and I've actually forgotten them (I know they weren't good).
Original post by ajj2000
Sorry to hear. Do you have a local college where you could join the second year of A levels to resit? Where would you go for a foundation year?

No I can't find a local college to resit my a levels and the one I went to is not nowhere near the place I live now. The only way I can retake is being a private candidate. Also the place I got was a foundation year with mechanical engineering at Plymouth University.

If you want to become an engineer, most grad schemes will accept a mech engineering degree, and most corporate graduate schemes will be fine.

I would say if you want to work for the elite employers, yes A-levels matter, but tbh those employers want like AAB so unless you can get that it might not be worth it anyway.

If you want to go work in finance, banking or consulting you need top A-levels, but you also need to go to a top Uni (like Oxbridge, Warwick etc).

So it will probably make very little difference unless you move your grades into the As, but yes you can still get a good job.
Does the poor a level put u off hiring them even with the 2.1?

I read CVs for voluntary experience. I believe people often include them as they haven't completed their 3rd year. Others include it anyway.

No. I don't believe GCSEs or A-level grades have any significant guide to character, ability academic or otherwise in work or life. For those that have done well great, well done. For those that haven't done well, learn the lessons to be done so in your individual case and don't let it hold you back.
No I can't find a local college to resit my a levels and the one I went to is not nowhere near the place I live now. The only way I can retake is being a private candidate. Also the place I got was a foundation year with mechanical engineering at Plymouth University.

Is the issue that there are no local colleges near to you, or that they wont accept you due to funding reasons?

Unless you had a terrible drop off in the last few months of A levels or disasters in the exams I'm not sure I'd want to self study maths/ sciences with DDD - there is a lot of ground to cover without good support in place.
Original post by ajj2000
Is the issue that there are no local colleges near to you, or that they wont accept you due to funding reasons?

Unless you had a terrible drop off in the last few months of A levels or disasters in the exams I'm not sure I'd want to self study maths/ sciences with DDD - there is a lot of ground to cover without good support in place.

There are local colleges which I looked online and the only way I can do it in a local college is to pay for it which I definitely don't have funds for and I was thinking I can make up that fact by private tutors.
There are local colleges which I looked online and the only way I can do it in a local college is to pay for it which I definitely don't have funds for and I was thinking I can make up that fact by private tutors.

Why are the local colleges charging? Is it due to your age?
Original post by ajj2000
Why are the local colleges charging? Is it due to your age?

I think because I want to retake my second year not my first year
I think because I want to retake my second year not my first year

Ok - that frequently happens but its one to ask about very specifically and make sure you get proper guidance and feedback from them.
Reply 17
My A Levels weren't far off yours and have not held me back at all
Original post by gjd800
My A Levels weren't far off yours and have not held me back at all

Can I ask which field u are working in?
Reply 19
Can I ask which field u are working in?

Yep, of course. Academia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending