The Student Room Group

maths a level worries

results for GCSEs are coming out, and I'm worried like all the 16-year-olds in the country, but my main issue is that I think I got around 126-130 marks I don't think that is enough for the grade 7. I want to do maths a level next year and at my school, you need a 7, maths hasn't been the best because I never tried hard enough but a late-month into GCSE I realised how much I liked it.i was thinking would my school allow on the course if I did resit the maths a level in November and get the 7 , I've heard the resits are much easier and the grade boundaries are lower.

what should I do?
do I have enough marks for the 7
should I resit

my a-level options
maths
physics
sociology

wanted to go into physics

second option

psychology
sociology
and idk....

go into anthropology or law?

want to work as a secondary teacher
help anyone ???
Reply 1
I got 6 at GCSE probably because I was wayyyy too confident, and Im taking maths at a level now. I had to sit an entry test becasuue requiement of my school was 7, and I passed it. currently my maths grade is A.
Reply 2
which board?
Reply 3
Original post by t257
which board?

Edexcel
Reply 4
If you did get 130 on edexcel, that'd probably be a 7, because they were not much higher last year, and will probably go down this year.
Reply 5
Original post by t257
which board?

edexcel
Reply 6
Have you got a back-up plan?
Reply 7
Original post by Yw88
I got 6 at GCSE probably because I was wayyyy too confident, and Im taking maths at a level now. I had to sit an entry test becasuue requiement of my school was 7, and I passed it. currently my maths grade is A.

what was your predicted grade may i ask
because mines a 5 but ive been working hard
Reply 8
See above:
Original post by rehena12
edexcel

Original post by t257
If you did get 130 on edexcel, that'd probably be a 7, because they were not much higher last year, and will probably go down this year.

Original post by t257
Reply 9
Original post by t257

back up was to do
psychology
sociology and
physics --> but my teachers have warned us to take it with maths because no one has ever done well without it
Reply 10
Original post by t257

but do you think it will go as far as 126 124 because thats the minium

i think my marks range from 124-131
Reply 11
would they let you do as maths?
That's all you really need for physics
Honestly you’ll just have to work really hard. You may not see the light at the end of the tunnel but it will happen. In our December A level mock I got a U. I did 3 hours of maths everyday since then and turned it around to get an A and get into med school. Literally a dream come true. It didn’t even feel like I would get a D doing the A level papers but I did soooo much better than I thought ever possible.

Btw I got a 9 at gcse with little effort.

You can do it!
Reply 13
Original post by t257
would they let you do as maths?
That's all you really need for physics

my predicted is 5
im going to get a 6 which relistically might be a few marks of the 7
idk if theyll let me in the maths a level course
Reply 14
results for GCSEs are coming out, and I'm worried like all the 16-year-olds in the country, but my main issue is that I think I got around 126-130 marks I don't think that is enough for the grade 7.

I think it's best to wait for your grades before speculating about resits and what A Levels you'll be doing. If you did get 126-130 then a 7 is definitely possible:

(edited 4 years ago)
results for GCSEs are coming out, and I'm worried like all the 16-year-olds in the country, but my main issue is that I think I got around 126-130 marks I don't think that is enough for the grade 7. I want to do maths a level next year and at my school, you need a 7, maths hasn't been the best because I never tried hard enough but a late-month into GCSE I realised how much I liked it.i was thinking would my school allow on the course if I did resit the maths a level in November and get the 7 , I've heard the resits are much easier and the grade boundaries are lower.

what should I do?
do I have enough marks for the 7
should I resit

my a-level options
maths
physics
sociology

wanted to go into physics

second option

psychology
sociology
and idk....

go into anthropology or law?

want to work as a secondary teacher
help anyone ???

Some inside information for you. An ex colleague who is head of maths at my old school showed me their A level and AS level maths results yesterday. Nobody with 6 or less passed the A level or AS level. It may be possible, but the odds are stacked heavily against you unless you suddenly show outstanding effort and motivation. "Strongly wanting" to pass isn't enough. A level 7 puts you in the top 20%, yet a significant number of pupils with a 7 also failed the AS level. This is due to a problem any teacher will recognise; too many capable students who have cruised through GCSE with little effort are tripped up by that attitude in Year 12. The drop out rate is not heavily publicised and doesn't show in Year 13 results as students have either dropped the course or acquired the necessary study skills in time. Free periods are study periods and students who enjoy the understandably tempting social opportunities that time presents will be disappointed.

That school is the only state school in the county that made it into The Times list of schools with best A level results this week.

Undergraduate physics courses really need A level maths. Don't let anybody convince you that Core Maths would be sufficient for Physics. It would trip you up later.

You appear to have other choices and you may be too pessimistic, but I would urge you to do this before you make a decision..... Ask your maths teacher how many students failed Year 12 last year with the grade you obtain. If he's reluctant to tell you, think carefully. Good luck, you may have nothing to worry about.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Granadalad
Some inside information for you. An ex colleague who is head of maths at my old school showed me their A level and AS level maths results yesterday. Nobody with 6 or less passed the A level or AS level. It may be possible, but the odds are stacked heavily against you unless you suddenly show outstanding effort and motivation. "Strongly wanting" to pass isn't enough. A level 7 puts you in the top 20%, yet a significant number of pupils with a 7 also failed the AS level. This is due to a problem any teacher will recognise; too many capable students who have cruised through GCSE with little effort are tripped up by that attitude in Year 12. The drop out rate is not heavily publicised and doesn't show in Year 13 results as students have either dropped the course or acquired the necessary study skills in time. Free periods are study periods and students who enjoy the understandably tempting social opportunities that time presents will be disappointed.

That school is the only state school in the county that made it into The Times list of schools with best A level results this week.

Undergraduate physics courses really need A level maths. Don't let anybody convince you that Core Maths would be sufficient for Physics. It would trip you up later.

You appear to have other choices and you may be too pessimistic, but I would urge you to do this before you make a decision..... Ask your maths teacher how many students failed Year 12 last year with the grade you obtain. If he's reluctant to tell you, think carefully. Good luck, you may have nothing to worry about.

thank you, I'm fully aware of the amount of work I need to put in I know it seems little but i realised my potential in maths last year i was moved up into set 1
with the lowest grade, in my year 10 mock I got 3 I didn't try at all next mock I got 4 next mock after that I got a 5 and in the gcse i will most likely get a 6 but I know I can do better , I worked my butt off but I realised it too late. I was reluctant with maths because i learnt to hate but I understand what to do now
Reply 17
what was your predicted grade may i ask
because mines a 5 but ive been working hard

I was predicted 8 at gcse.
Reply 18
First of all RELAX! There is still a few days left till results day for GCSEs. Regardless of what shall happen, I am sure you will get into whatever course you want. But depending on your college i am pretty sure they will let you in with a 6. I went to a really good college, one of the best in the UK, with nearly 100% A*-C pass rate, and for maths they only require a grade 6 and in certain circumstances a grade 5.

But anyway, are you sure you want to maths? If your university course doesn't require maths, then its best you maybe dont if you dont think you can hack it? I mean in my high school years, i was legit one of the smartest and most talented at maths and was achieving some of the highest grades and on results day i got my good results, but in A-Level maths, its was honestly one of the most worst experiences of my life, the increase of work load and difficulty is horrible from GCSEs to A-Levels.. As such i have come to fail this as i found out on thursday!

Anyway i am not trying to discourage you from doing maths lol, but if you do want to go ahead with maths, whilst it is up to you, just check what specification the exam board is for you college, because EDEXCEL IS ****, there was multiple leaks and paper 2 was devised just to give people negative thoughts.-
Reply 19
Original post by HZXHZX
First of all RELAX! There is still a few days left till results day for GCSEs. Regardless of what shall happen, I am sure you will get into whatever course you want. But depending on your college i am pretty sure they will let you in with a 6. I went to a really good college, one of the best in the UK, with nearly 100% A*-C pass rate, and for maths they only require a grade 6 and in certain circumstances a grade 5.

But anyway, are you sure you want to maths? If your university course doesn't require maths, then its best you maybe dont if you dont think you can hack it? I mean in my high school years, i was legit one of the smartest and most talented at maths and was achieving some of the highest grades and on results day i got my good results, but in A-Level maths, its was honestly one of the most worst experiences of my life, the increase of work load and difficulty is horrible from GCSEs to A-Levels.. As such i have come to fail this as i found out on thursday!

Anyway i am not trying to discourage you from doing maths lol, but if you do want to go ahead with maths, whilst it is up to you, just check what specification the exam board is for you college, because EDEXCEL IS ****, there was multiple leaks and paper 2 was devised just to give people suicidal thoughts.-

Thanks! Stress is building up , I do enjoy maths but I was predicted a 5 because I slacked a lot and I’m probs going to get a 6 a few marks from the 7 it’s annoying because to get in is a 7 , I’m wondering if they’ll let me in

Quick Reply

Latest