The Student Room Group

Should I choose BTEC or A Levels

Hi,

So basically I am stuck between choosing btec level 3 Applied Science and A Levels
I’m doing BTEC Applied Science Level 2 In September as a catch-up so I can progress either to a levels or btec
The main issue I have with BTEC is that it involves coursework and deadlines etc and I hate coursework I prefer exams and time to prepare
The only reason for taking btec level 2 is cause my school only offers students a limited amount of qualifications due to budget funding etc and I was not given the option for others GCSEs
I am really stuck
Should I choose BTEC Level 3 Applied Science Or A Levels Biology Chemistry And Physics
I have a strong interest in science and want to go into medicine.
Original post by RM0603
Hi,

So basically I am stuck between choosing btec level 3 Applied Science and A Levels
I’m doing BTEC Applied Science Level 2 In September as a catch-up so I can progress either to a levels or btec
The main issue I have with BTEC is that it involves coursework and deadlines etc and I hate coursework I prefer exams and time to prepare
The only reason for taking btec level 2 is cause my school only offers students a limited amount of qualifications due to budget funding etc and I was not given the option for others GCSEs
I am really stuck
Should I choose BTEC Level 3 Applied Science Or A Levels Biology Chemistry And Physics

you'll need a levels for medicine
Alevels are very very difficult
I know but It would make sense for me
I struggle with coursework but with practicals and external examinations I’m fine
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
If you want medicine you need good gcses and good a levels.
If you don't like coursework, DO NOT do a BTEC. You will hate it. You will have several deadlines a term and it will be super stressful. If you prefer external exams, do a-levels. As was mentioned above, you'll need them for medicine anyway.
Original post by remussjhj01
If you don't like coursework, DO NOT do a BTEC. You will hate it. You will have several deadlines a term and it will be super stressful. If you prefer external exams, do a-levels. As was mentioned above, you'll need them for medicine anyway.

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to my college
Original post by plainjayne1
If you want medicine you need good gcses and good a levels.

I’ve good predicted grades 5s and 6s and I think with a bit of extra support and push I will hopefully get the required a levels for medicine
Reply 8
Original post by RM0603
I’ve good predicted grades 5s and 6s and I think with a bit of extra support and push I will hopefully get the required a levels for medicine

I looked into doing medicine I decided against it because I'm a mature student and would have to do extra qualifications and I didn't want to. The universities I looked at wanted A* & As in all gcses and equally high in A level. 5s & 6s wouldn't be high enough. What uni have you found that accepts those grades? Have you looked?
I’ve had a look at a few, can’t remember them from the top of my head not all unis require GCSEs
Reply 10
Original post by RM0603
I’ve had a look at a few, can’t remember them from the top of my head not all unis require GCSEs

I can't find any that don't require gcses.
Tbh i use to think A levels are better, but when you look at the grade requirements even more Russel group universities they are accepting BTEC DDD and A levels AAA . so to make life easier i think you should do a mix of BTEC and one A level . why struggle so much with A levels when you can get in with BTECS . Have a look a the univerisities you want to go to and you may see BTECS are accepted .
Original post by Sadilla
Tbh i use to think A levels are better, but when you look at the grade requirements even more Russel group universities they are accepting BTEC DDD and A levels AAA . so to make life easier i think you should do a mix of BTEC and one A level . why struggle so much with A levels when you can get in with BTECS . Have a look a the univerisities you want to go to and you may see BTECS are accepted .

I’m trying to avoid btec cause I don’t like coursework and it stresses me out
I prefer exams
Reply 14

I think I noticed 3 that have low gcse requirements. 'no specific requirements' doesn't mean they don't take gcses into consideration.
Original post by plainjayne1
I think I noticed 3 that have low gcse requirements. 'no specific requirements' doesn't mean they don't take gcses into consideration.

Yeah, that’s fine
I’m not too worried about GCSEs as I think I’ve done considerably well
Original post by RM0603
Hi,

I am really stuck

I am currently doing btec science national. What btec you gonna chose national or extend diploma science. It is very easy. You just need to follow rules. But it is your choices. I got 5 and 4. I need 5 and 5to chose a level science biology and chemistry. but i am forced to chose btec. But a level are very hard. I also want to get into medicine. Iam doing national but you need extende diploma which is 3 grade and national is 2 grade so you would porbably an alevel with it such as bio chem or maths

Quick Reply

Latest