The Student Room Group

We have a huge antisocial behaviour problem in this country

And it's time to sort it out...

The last two days, two cases stand out, as to me an extension of this. Both cases, both murder, both involving children as young as 13, and in one of them certainly, a young adult, 17, looks responsible. What I'm saying in this is that these two cases, will most certainly have been preceded by years of anti social behaviour.

When are we going to wake up to this and really start doing something to tackle anti social behaviour in this country? To me, it centres around some key points.

Parenting: Has gone to ****. It's ****ing dreadful. In schools now, teachers spend the majority of their time dealing with parents who believe their children have done nothing wrong.

Law enforcement: This is fairly non-existent. Some people get caution, after caution and nothing further, for minor crimes most of the time but I'll extend on that below...

Prisons: Are seen as a holiday camp. Not tough enough, no deterrent. And the same people will always return to them. Rehabilitation is not working, and it's time we admitted it.

No punishments, no consequences, and what this inevitably causes is an escalation of behaviour. There is a theory, I can never remember the name which has been proven, which says if you are tough on 'lower' crimes, such as burglary, theft, anti-social behaviour, more serious crimes go down as a result. It's time we took to this and really started to enforce some law and order in this country.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

It’s because the majority of so called parents don’t know how to parent. They think fear is apparently a big part of being a parent but they soon realise that once people overcome their fears, they will not be scared of you anymore. If you think we need more punishments, I’m sorry to say but you have no idea on how to parent and you are gonna grow up with a disobedient child.
Reply 3
ironic username...
Do you think there is anything in the idea that anti-social behaviour tends to manefest in areas of low socio-economic activity and it linked to drug use and selling that happens primarily in those areas?

Perhaps the issue is thecway the Tories have cut services in these areas massively? Kind of reminds me of what things were like after the last Tory government in the 90s. Drug use was rife and with it all the issues around that. The onlybthing that has changed is we didn't call it anti-social behaviour. It was just yobs being yobbish.
Original post by ByEeek
Do you think there is anything in the idea that anti-social behaviour tends to manefest in areas of low socio-economic activity and it linked to drug use and selling that happens primarily in those areas?

Perhaps the issue is thecway the Tories have cut services in these areas massively? Kind of reminds me of what things were like after the last Tory government in the 90s. Drug use was rife and with it all the issues around that. The onlybthing that has changed is we didn't call it anti-social behaviour. It was just yobs being yobbish.

I think the correlation of anti social behavior in poor areas is due to causation in the opposite way you're implying.

Poor people aren't more likely to engage in antisocial behavior. Antisocial people are more likely to end up poor, which is a fair statement
Original post by MagnumKoishi
I think the correlation of anti social behavior in poor areas is due to causation in the opposite way you're implying.

Poor people aren't more likely to engage in antisocial behavior. Antisocial people are more likely to end up poor, which is a fair statement

But anti social behaviour at these levels wasn't really a thing 10-15 years ago so what has changed?
Some anti social behaviour stems from social anxiety, taking from my own experience here. I suffer from *severe* fear of social situations. I wasn’t always like this mind, I’m so desperate to be a social person but I just can’t do it. Perhaps it’s fear of being judged and rejected. (I’m 16 btw)
Original post by Anonymous02792
Some anti social behaviour stems from social anxiety, taking from my own experience here. I suffer from *severe* fear of social situations. I wasn’t always like this mind, I’m so desperate to be a social person but I just can’t do it. Perhaps it’s fear of being judged and rejected. (I’m 16 btw)

By antisocial behavior here, we mean things like public drinking, intimidation, gangs and that sort of thing by the way
Original post by MagnumKoishi
By antisocial behavior here, we mean things like public drinking, intimidation, gangs and that sort of thing by the way

I didn’t realise it was possible to get those two mixed up before this thread...
Original post by imlikeahermit
I didn’t realise it was possible to get those two mixed up before this thread...

Lmao I didnt even read the thread, just the title
(Original post by imlikeahermit)And it's time to sort it out...

The last two days, two cases stand out, as to me an extension of this. Both cases, both murder, both involving children as young as 13, and in one of them certainly, a young adult, 17, looks responsible. What I'm saying in this is that these two cases, will most certainly have been preceded by years of anti social behaviour.

When are we going to wake up to this and really start doing something to tackle anti social behaviour in this country? To me, it centres around some key points.

Parenting: Has gone to ****. It's ****ing dreadful. In schools now, teachers spend the majority of their time dealing with parents who believe their children have done nothing wrong.

Law enforcement: This is fairly non-existent. Some people get caution, after caution and nothing further, for minor crimes most of the time but I'll extend on that below...

Prisons: Are seen as a holiday camp. Not tough enough, no deterrent. And the same people will always return to them. Rehabilitation is not working, and it's time we admitted it.

No punishments, no consequences, and what this inevitably causes is an escalation of behaviour. There is a theory, I can never remember the name which has been proven, which says if you are tough on 'lower' crimes, such as burglary, theft, anti-social behaviour, more serious crimes go down as a result. It's time we took to this and really started to enforce some law and order in this country.

Thoughts?

if referring to the moped gangs of london, they just feel hopeless.

Breathing in toxic pollution, being microwaved by 5g, all your money goes to rent, you live in a tiny apartment,
education is too expensive, not guaranteed a job,
no one speaks English but you (the black community) have tried for 50 years to integrate,

and with those thoughts in your head, you just give up and resort to crime.
There is a lot of aggression and habitual thuggery in society, which often escalates into criminality.
Often people in authority prefer looking the other way to actually acknowledging the problem and investigating possible solutions/root cause/warning signs.

The problem is compounded by criminal justice policies which often routinely issue unduly lenient sentencing to the most serious of offenders/habitual criminals and a court process that focuses too much upon the offender rather than crime or victim.
This creates a perception amongst habitual criminals & those heading down that road- that the UK is soft on crime, punishing offenders is not a policy priority and there is little to fear.
Resulting in an arrogant, lawless attitude amongst societies bad apples that they are above the law and there is no reason for them to follow the rules that everyone else lives by.

While the law abiding public see that: criminals do not respect the law or fear the police/prison, the criminal justice system does not seem to deter criminals from breaking the law and criminal sentencing policies do not prioritise punishing offenders.
Nor set much store by protecting public safety, preserving public order or ensuring victims rights/the right of surviving kin of deceased victims.
Thus creating an unpleasant social climate for the law abiding, very unhelpful criminal sentencing past precedent and some vicious habitual criminals who urgently need to be given a taste of "crime does not pay" in terms that nobody can misunderstand.
I blame the labour government
I agree, it certainly does look a bit like A clockwork orange out there
Original post by Anonymous02792

I think they mean things like swearing, violence, stealing, other crime. I think what you’re referring to is asocial behaviour
Original post by ByEeek
But anti social behaviour at these levels wasn't really a thing 10-15 years ago so what has changed?

Lol WHAT?!
Original post by Nalk1573
(Original post by imlikeahermit)And it's time to sort it out...

no one speaks English

What do you mean "no one speaks English?". :rolleyes:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lol WHAT?!

What indeed. Are you telling me that teenage stabbing and knife crime was at the same levels as now?
Original post by ByEeek
What indeed. Are you telling me that teenage stabbing and knife crime was at the same levels as now?

Nice strawman but we're on about anti social behaviour, not crime. And def not violent crime at that. You know what anti social is. It relates to asbos. You don't get asbos for stabbing, please don't play games with me as if I wouldn't notice. Anyway when you think of mods in the 60s, rude boys in the 70s and skinheads in the 80s and ravers in the 90s how can you confidently say what you said?? If anything it was worse back then because it was those generations that did things which defined what anti social behaviour is today like vandalism, date rape and sexual harassment, sexism, labour laws like companies and employees not following safety and attendance policies respectively, and hate crimes. **** me...how'd you miss that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending