The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do a level religious studies or law in a year?

My AS did not go as expected and i got a U in one of my subjects and im assuming i will be kicked off. In the event of this i was considering continuing my other 2 subjects onto year 13 and doing either a level law or religious studies but both the AS and A2 in one year. I did RS at gcse and it was quite interesting and i also got an A*. Law also looked interesting. Im just wondering if its a good idea and what the courses are like and what the content volume is like. Is it really hard? I have a really good work ethic so would it be possible to do well with hard work or issit just too much to do two years in one? And what is the course like, is it really interesting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are the other two subjects you are studying and what grades did you get in them?
Original post by fairylight778
My AS did not go as expected and i got a U in one of my subjects and im assuming i will be kicked off. In the event of this i was considering continuing my other 2 subjects onto year 13 and doing either a level law or religious studies but both the AS and A2 in one year. I did RS at gcse and it was quite interesting and i also got an A*. Law also looked interesting. Im just wondering if its a good idea and what the courses are like and what the content volume is like. Is it really hard? I have a really good work ethic so would it be possible to do well with hard work or issit just too much to do two years in one? And what is the course like, is it really interesting?

I do OCR Law, and it’s difficult. I don’t honestly think it’s possible to do 2 years in one. There’s a lot of content and a lot of work needs to be put in towards answering questions correctly.
Original post by ajj2000
What are the other two subjects you are studying and what grades did you get in them?

Biology B (i was surprised with this because i revised last minute as i focused so much on the third subject which still flopped), Physics C (disappointed because i was expecting a minimum B)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Biology B, Physics C

Cool - those are decent grades in tough subjects. What was the subject you struggled with? I think if I were you I'd approach your school for advice as soon as possible as they may have some prior experience with people tacking a new subject in a year.

I'd also look at business studies (maybe look at some past papers and marking schemes to see if the exam styles might suit). It doesnt look so content heavy to me.
Original post by S.carter
I do OCR Law, and it’s difficult. I don’t honestly think it’s possible to do 2 years in one. There’s a lot of content and a lot of work needs to be put in towards answering questions correctly.

thank you for the insight :smile:
Original post by ajj2000
Cool - those are decent grades in tough subjects. What was the subject you struggled with? I think if I were you I'd approach your school for advice as soon as possible as they may have some prior experience with people tacking a new subject in a year.

I'd also look at business studies (maybe look at some past papers and marking schemes to see if the exam styles might suit). It doesnt look so content heavy to me.

Maths :frown: . Have you studied business studies? It is something that has never interested me but i am trying to be open minded and i might go for it, if it is not hard.
Reply 7
Maths :frown: . Have you studied business studies? It is something that has never interested me but i am trying to be open minded and i might go for it, if it is not hard.

Ah, I fully respect you for giving maths A level a go. Lots of people find the jump is too much.

I've never studied business studies at A level (I have studied similar things since). I had looked at past papers etc out of interest and because I've known people and also read on forums of circumstances where people needed to pick up an additional subject - it seemed to be one where they found it pretty ok. I think if you look on ebay/ amazon or visit a local Oxfam book shop you could probably find a text book cheaply to have a read and see if its something you might be successful in/ find interesting.

I think it may work better than an intensely essay based subject given that you don't study essay subjects at the moment - it easier to pick up something requiring more similar skills.

I did AQA RS in 12 weeks this year, but its the only subject I was studying at the time and I was working flat out. Managed to get an A, so it is possible to do an A-level in a short period of time. The subject itself is fascinating I found and can really capture your imagination if religion is a subject you're interested in. - it can synergise really well with science subjects (esp bio and physics because of ethics, medicine, evolution, cosmology and so on). personally i loved studying it.

There is a lot of content and a lot of memorization of content - its definitely not an "easy A-level", but very rewarding if you like to write about opinions and theories. - with the textbooks and some study guides and working really hard I think it would be possible, but challenging, if you were doing it alongside other A-levels. hmu if you have any questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, I fully respect you for giving maths A level a go. Lots of people find the jump is too much.

I've never studied business studies at A level (I have studied similar things since). I had looked at past papers etc out of interest and because I've known people and also read on forums of circumstances where people needed to pick up an additional subject - it seemed to be one where they found it pretty ok. I think if you look on ebay/ amazon or visit a local Oxfam book shop you could probably find a text book cheaply to have a read and see if its something you might be successful in/ find interesting.

I think it may work better than an intensely essay based subject given that you don't study essay subjects at the moment - it easier to pick up something requiring more similar skills.

Thanks :smile: It was definitely a jump especially for me given maths is one of my weaknesses even though it was enjoyable. Thank you so much for your suggestions :biggrin: Essay subjects are actually my strengths but i just enjoyed sciences more but yes i did not think of making a decision based on how complimentary a subject is to what im studying so thanks for the heads up.
Original post by Mildred137
I did AQA RS in 12 weeks this year, but its the only subject I was studying at the time and I was working flat out. Managed to get an A, so it is possible to do an A-level in a short period of time. The subject itself is fascinating I found and can really capture your imagination if religion is a subject you're interested in. - it can synergise really well with science subjects (esp bio and physics because of ethics, medicine, evolution, cosmology and so on). personally i loved studying it.

There is a lot of content and a lot of memorization of content - its definitely not an "easy A-level", but very rewarding if you like to write about opinions and theories. - with the textbooks and some study guides and working really hard I think it would be possible, but challenging, if you were doing it alongside other A-levels. hmu if you have any questions.

Thank you so so much for your reply this is so helpful! :smile: Did you do it at GCSE? If so is the A level similar or is there a drastic change? Also did you do this recently the A level because the spec may have changed. From your description it is definitely topics that do interest me and would like to get insight on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Any idea what you might want to do when you've finished A levels?
Original post by ajj2000
Any idea what you might want to do when you've finished A levels?

Yes i want to do physics so i am going to apply for a foundation year integrated course at university.
I did sociology in a year alongside French and maths as my two other subjects which I did over two years. I got an a* in sociology, it was my favorite. If you’re willing and you enjoy the course do it.
Original post by Aaryra
I did sociology in a year alongside French and maths as my two other subjects which I did over two years. I got an a* in sociology, it was my favorite. If you’re willing and you enjoy the course do it.

well done on the A*! thanks :smile:
well done on the A*! thanks :smile:

Thank you! I was happy with my percentage, it really is about how you like it. Is your school even ok w it?
Original post by Aaryra
Thank you! I was happy with my percentage, it really is about how you like it. Is your school even ok w it?

Im not sure i haven't spoken to them yet i have to wait until September to do so but there have been instances where people have had to stop doing an a level at the end of year 12 and pick up a new one but still continuing on with year 13. Not sure if they will specifically allow RE but i still gotta try. If not imma just have to do what they say but im pretty sure they will allow me to do RE in a year along side my other two a levels. I was actually considering sociology as i heard my friends from other schools it is interesting however unfortunately my school does not offer it otherwise i defo would have considered it.
Im not sure i haven't spoken to them yet i have to wait until September to do so but there have been instances where people have had to stop doing an a level at the end of year 12 and pick up a new one but still continuing on with year 13. Not sure if they will specifically allow RE but i still gotta try. If not imma just have to do what they say but im pretty sure they will allow me to do RE in a year along side my other two a levels. I was actually considering sociology as i heard my friends from other schools it is interesting however unfortunately my school does not offer it otherwise i defo would have considered it.

I was gonna say sociology is quite easy imo so it would’ve been good! Maybe email your head of sixth form before you make proper plans
Reply 18
Original post by ajj2000

Business studies isnt a difficult subject and its easy to get an understanding of most topics fairly quickly but there is a lot of content to make up for that. I did wjec business so it may be different to other exam boards
Thank you so so much for your reply this is so helpful! :smile: Did you do it at GCSE? If so is the A level similar or is there a drastic change? Also did you do this recently the A level because the spec may have changed. From your description it is definitely topics that do interest me and would like to get insight on.

I didn't do it at GCSE, though obviously your A* in GCSE RS would give you a good foundation for the A-Level - the differences is that A-Level RS is much more philosophical - there are some quite complex philosophical concepts you need to understand - I studied Hume, Descartes, Plato, Aquinas, Fletcher, Aristotle, Kant and so on.

There's less about learning about varied religions and more about theology in general, and for AQA you pick a single major religion (christianity, islam, judaism, hinduism, buddhism) you want to look at in detail for your second paper. I did Christianity which crossed over with the paper 1 stuff loads (lots of the same theologians & philosophers) - I would imagine it would be somewhat harder with the other religions since there is less crossover between the paper 1 and paper 2 stuff. I don't know about other exam boards.

For paper 1 AQA its split between Philosophy of religion and Ethics - things like the existence of the soul, arguments for the existence of god, arguments against the existence of god, evil and suffering, religious experience and miracles, death and afterlife (I loved all this stuff); and for ethics you look three ethical theories: Virtue ethics, Deontological (rules based) ethics, and situationalist ethics - and their application e.g. theft, lying, murder, assisted dying, animal welfare, cloning and embryo research, abortion. As well a looking at meta-ethics, free will, responsibility, culpability and conscience (I didn't enjoy ethics very much and its what caused me to drop from an A* :frown:)

For paper 2 AQA you learn about specifics of your chosen religion; for christianity you look at things like morality, religious identity, god, conduct and responsibility, gender, sexuality and christianity, science and christianity, secularisation, religious pluralism - I think the topics are the same for the other religions but with different perspectives/theology

As I said, it really goes well with science subjects due to the ethics and philosophy of knowledge stuff - in the AQA syllabus you learn about e.g. Popper and Kuhn, two of the great philosophers of science. imo RS makes you a better scientist - in hindsight it seems strange that there is no philosophy of science in A-Level sciences!

Overall I think if you have an open, critical mind, whether atheist, theist or anything else then you can get a huge amount out of A-Level RS, it really was my favorite A-Level even though I rushed through it so quickly!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest