The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not the thread starter.
(edited 4 years ago)
This is interesting. I don’t have a problem with people being proud of their region - I think, looking back through history, that has generally always been the case. It’s natural to feel an affinity with the area and community you grew up in.
I grew up in Denmark. Over there, people are immensely proud of the regions they come from - and yet, there is a sense of unity in Denmark far less prevalent over here. Living in West Jutland, all the people from my community were proud to identify as β€˜Vest Jysk,’ and yet were also fiercely patriotic. One of the first things you notice when you go to Denmark are the amount of flags everywhere - on cards, home decor, cakes, you name it. Most Danish homes have a flag pole with their national flag attached.
So I don’t think it’s people being proud of their region that’s the problem. And actually, I’m not so sure there really is a problem in the first place. I think it’s wonderful that we have so many different identities in this country. It’s makes life more fun. Okay, so many British people may not profusely state how proud they are of their country, but that doesn’t mean they have no attachment to it. I believe it’s down to the British self-deprecating humour, which isn’t really a thing elsewhere in Europe. Phrases like β€˜typical Britain!’ are often thrown around, but usually out of fondness rather than genuine contempt.
I love this country, and I’m proud of being (half) English. The real concern I have is about many of our politicians, who really seem to want to divide this nation. But amongst the people, I don’t really think there’s a problem!
Pretty pointless now. After we leave without a deal we'll be finished in terms of anything recognisable as a 'Country'.
Unfortunately, the English Flag as well as the identity of being "English" has become linked with racism and prejudice. If you see someone with an English flag outside their house, you might think they didn't take too kindly to foreigners moving in next door.

I believe a lot of people identify as being "British". I know I certainly do. Most people see themselves as "British" before "English". However, I do agree that Brexit as well as recent economic affairs has been extremely demoralising for cultural identity. I am personally a Brexiteer (not trying to start an argument, just stating where I stand) and I feel that leaving the EU and being able to take back more control of our trade, our workforce, rules and regulations is going to be good. I certainly still feel proud to be a member of this nation - there's so much to be proud of!
Reply 5
Original post by _polaroid
Unfortunately, the English Flag as well as the identity of being "English" has become linked with racism and prejudice. If you see someone with an English flag outside their house, you might think they didn't take too kindly to foreigners moving in next door.

I believe a lot of people identify as being "British". I know I certainly do. Most people see themselves as "British" before "English". However, I do agree that Brexit as well as recent economic affairs has been extremely demoralising for cultural identity. I am personally a Brexiteer (not trying to start an argument, just stating where I stand) and I feel that leaving the EU and being able to take back more control of our trade, our workforce, rules and regulations is going to be good. I certainly still feel proud to be a member of this nation - there's so much to be proud of!

I stopped reading after you said you’re a brexiteer
Flying the flag of St George or espousing any kind of pro-England view will lead most people to assume you’re some kind of BNP supporting racist thanks to the fact we’ve been indoctrinated to accept all immigrants into our country irrespective of their culture, beliefs and what skills they add into the economy.
Original post by Bazyli
I stopped reading after you said you’re a brexiteer

How tolerable of you.

Well, we'll have much less of what you've mentioned, so I suppose that counts as taking back control?
Original post by AngryRedhead
Flying the flag of St George or espousing any kind of pro-England view will lead most people to assume you’re some kind of BNP supporting racist thanks to the fact we’ve been indoctrinated to accept all immigrants into our country irrespective of their culture, beliefs and what skills they add into the economy.

Culture and beliefs are for the most part not an issue so long as they aren't extremist. Various cultures and communities can integrate even with differences and share tolerance with one another. I do however agree with the skills aspect. Too many low-skilled labourers are coming in because our minimum wage allows them to get a better living than their own nation. Whilst it's great that they can do this, it also means native workers have their wages forced down or are made unemployed. I wouldn't mind the points-based system in this regard.
Culture and beliefs are for the most part not an issue so long as they aren't extremist. Various cultures and communities can integrate even with differences and share tolerance with one another. I do however agree with the skills aspect. Too many low-skilled labourers are coming in because our minimum wage allows them to get a better living than their own nation. Whilst it's great that they can do this, it also means native workers have their wages forced down or are made unemployed. I wouldn't mind the points-based system in this regard.

Strictly speaking, I would beg to differ somewhat with the bolded. Ethnic minorities in the uk are quite segregated into their own communities and areas with their own schools and largely can be worse than the ethnic white British population for displaying intolerance towards other racial groups and minorities.
Reply 11
How tolerable of you.

No need to engage any further thank you
Original post by imlikeahermit
Pretty pointless now. After we leave without a deal we'll be finished in terms of anything recognisable as a 'Country'.

Typical remoaner yelling from their ivory tower that social issues in UK link to the eu referendum...which was in 2016. As if there were no social issues before then.

Anyways

There's dwindling pride in being English and British because of nationalism being equated to racism. Way before 2016. Same thing like with USA. Many Americans didn't wave their flag because the Tea Party (a nationalist far right movement) took the flag as their official symbol lol. Since like the 80s with the burgeoning skinhead movement, St George's cross on banners and clothes was seen as being a skinhead. Like if even I get the buzzcut, people think I'm a Nazi lol
Original post by AngryRedhead
Strictly speaking, I would beg to differ somewhat with the bolded. Ethnic minorities in the uk are quite segregated into their own communities and areas with their own schools and largely can be worse than the ethnic white British population for displaying intolerance towards other racial groups and minorities.

I don't disagree with you. When I say "can", I didn't mean that they were. I just meant that it could happen under the right circumstances. I think a lot of segregation is down to the economics side as well. I live in a nice area where loads of different ethnic minorities hang out with each other all the time. I think in the most destitute regions segregation is more common, which isn't surprising when considering that ethnic minorities are likely to be poorer.
Reply 14
Nah
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Typical remoaner yelling from their ivory tower that social issues in UK link to the eu referendum...which was in 2016. As if there were no social issues before then.

Anyways

There's dwindling pride in being English and British because of nationalism being equated to racism. Way before 2016. Same thing like with USA. Many Americans didn't wave their flag because the Tea Party (a nationalist far right movement) took the flag as their official symbol lol. Since like the 80s with the burgeoning skinhead movement, St George's cross on banners and clothes was seen as being a skinhead. Like if even I get the buzzcut, people think I'm a Nazi lol

We he social issues before then, yes, but Brexit has only helped to exacerbate those issues, and create new issues as well. You’ve got to be pretty naive not to see the social issues that brexit has, and will create.
Reply 16
I've edited my post.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by imlikeahermit
We he social issues before then, yes, but Brexit has only helped to exacerbate those issues, and create new issues as well. You’ve got to be pretty naive not to see the social issues that brexit has, and will create.

Agree 100%
Reply 18
Is this actually a fact as opposed to your perception though...?
Reply 19
Original post by anime198
There just doesn't seem to be any pride in England these days. Why's that?

Manchester and Brighton have quite big pride events.

Latest