The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Fresher’s Week?

I don’t get what happens during fresher’s week. Can you buy a wristband once you get there? Should I buy it online? I’m not from the UK so I don’t know if I should buy it online right now.

Can I still have fun without a wristband? Is there like an entry fee for activities you want to do?
You better watch out.

Sex is common during Fresher's week. Lots of prostitutes as well.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Anonymous
You better watch out.

Sex is free by the way :wink:
Reply 3
Sex is free by the way :wink:

You better watch out.

Sounds amazing. Do I need to buy a wristband for that?
Absolutely not.

Stand outside near the entrance and hopefully a girl will tap you on the shoulder :smile:

Good luck! Don't forget to take a condom
Serious answer here for you... I was a fresher there in 2015 so a few years ago, but I don't think much has changed.

Most people get a full wristband which gives you entry to everything during freshers week. You buy these online (so buy one as soon as your place is confirmed as they can sell out), and then pick them up from the SU when you first get there on arrival weekend. From what I remember, there is another, cheaper wristband you can buy, but this only gets you entry to the 'alternative' events, so you can't get into the main club style event each night. Plenty of people only go to these alternative events (they are mostly stuff that you don't get drunk for so good if you don't like alcohol). From the people I spoke to without a full wristband, it seems like you can have a great time if you don't go to the main events. Most people get the full wristband though.

When I was a fresher, there was the possibility of buying entry on the night if you didn't have a wristband, however you had to queue and weren't guaranteed entry.
I don’t get what happens during fresher’s week. Can you buy a wristband once you get there? Should I buy it online? I’m not from the UK so I don’t know if I should buy it online right now.

Can I still have fun without a wristband? Is there like an entry fee for activities you want to do?

Hi there :smile:

I'm a 2nd year student at the University of Bath. My freshers' week was in 2017 and I don't think much has changed. I'll try my best to give you an insight into what it's like!

Move in weekend is 21st-22nd September. You will either move in on the Saturday or Sunday depending on your choice. Once your accommodation is confirmed, you will be given a time slot (morning or afternoon) for when you can move in. This helps to reduce traffic as it is a bit chaotic that weekend! On the Saturday or Sunday there are talks about University Life that you have to attend - gives you an overview to living in student accommodation. You are free to do what you like for the rest of the weekend. I believe the Plug and Tub is open all day and particularly in the evening if you want somewhere to go with your new housemates. This will be free entry.

For international students, the University runs a living in a new culture (LINC) orientation programme. There are lots of free events to help you get settled so look out for these!

The Whats On page of the Freshers Week 2019 page lists exactly what events are on each day of Freshers week and whether a wrist band is required to attend. Most of the events are free: movie nights, mini golf, city tours, art activities, inflatables, yoga, quizzes, tasters and many more. The main thing which the wristband is for is the arena nights. These are big nights out in the founders hall, which fits about 2500 students. This is where all of the acts are and where your flatmates will likely go most nights. My house went out every night but I know a lot of houses which didn't. There is no pressure to go out every night or at all if you don't want to. The wristband gets you in but you can get in without a wristband if you queue early enough and pay on the door.

I went out every night but I know a lot of people who didn't. Some people in my flat didn't buy a wristband but they still came with us some nights. It is really up to you whether you think you will get use out of it. Only buy the official wristband though! The others will be for events in town and it is unlikely your house will all travel to town for nights out in Freshers week when there are events on campus.

The other big events in Freshers weeks are the sports and societies fairs, where you can go and talk to sports clubs and societies to see if you would like to join. Most offer taster sessions and I would definitely recommend going to as many as possible! They are free and allow you to decide which sports/societies memberships you want to buy.

If you have anymore questions do let me know! Hope you are excited to come to Bath :smile:

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there :smile:

I'm a 2nd year student at the University of Bath. My freshers' week was in 2017 and I don't think much has changed. I'll try my best to give you an insight into what it's like!

Move in weekend is 21st-22nd September. You will either move in on the Saturday or Sunday depending on your choice. Once your accommodation is confirmed, you will be given a time slot (morning or afternoon) for when you can move in. This helps to reduce traffic as it is a bit chaotic that weekend! On the Saturday or Sunday there are talks about University Life that you have to attend - gives you an overview to living in student accommodation. You are free to do what you like for the rest of the weekend. I believe the Plug and Tub is open all day and particularly in the evening if you want somewhere to go with your new housemates. This will be free entry.

For international students, the University runs a living in a new culture (LINC) orientation programme. There are lots of free events to help you get settled so look out for these!

The Whats On page of the Freshers Week 2019 page lists exactly what events are on each day of Freshers week and whether a wrist band is required to attend. Most of the events are free: movie nights, mini golf, city tours, art activities, inflatables, yoga, quizzes, tasters and many more. The main thing which the wristband is for is the arena nights. These are big nights out in the founders hall, which fits about 2500 students. This is where all of the acts are and where your flatmates will likely go most nights. My house went out every night but I know a lot of houses which didn't. There is no pressure to go out every night or at all if you don't want to. The wristband gets you in but you can get in without a wristband if you queue early enough and pay on the door.

I went out every night but I know a lot of people who didn't. Some people in my flat didn't buy a wristband but they still came with us some nights. It is really up to you whether you think you will get use out of it. Only buy the official wristband though! The others will be for events in town and it is unlikely your house will all travel to town for nights out in Freshers week when there are events on campus.

The other big events in Freshers weeks are the sports and societies fairs, where you can go and talk to sports clubs and societies to see if you would like to join. Most offer taster sessions and I would definitely recommend going to as many as possible! They are free and allow you to decide which sports/societies memberships you want to buy.

If you have anymore questions do let me know! Hope you are excited to come to Bath :smile:

Leah

hello, this was very helpful :smile: how much do the wristbands usually cost (I can't find it listed on the su website) thanks
Original post by diztrezzed
hello, this was very helpful :smile: how much do the wristbands usually cost (I can't find it listed on the su website) thanks

The wristbands this year cost £67 and provide access to all 6 arena nights as well as all of the other events :smile: I would recommend following The SU Bath on social media (Facebook / Instagram) to get updates and information about Freshers week.

Anymore questions please do let me know :smile:

Leah
Original post by University of Bath
The wristbands this year cost £67 and provide access to all 6 arena nights as well as all of the other events :smile: I would recommend following The SU Bath on social media (Facebook / Instagram) to get updates and information about Freshers week.

Anymore questions please do let me know :smile:

Leah

thank you :smile:
hi, i dont really party that much, and the focus of the wristbands seems to be on that, will it be wise not to buy one? or do the alternative activities get packed and require wristbands too?

Quick Reply

Latest