The Student Room Group

Buying clothes and pricing

Starting college soon so I’m going to buy a load of joggers/hoodies/shirts. I don’t have a lot of money to spend so exactly how much money do people usually spend on these type of clothes? Also which stores have the best of these? How much would I have to spend to get some good joggers/hoodies/shirts. Would about £20-30 be enough to get a good pair
If you are bargain shopping, then yeah £30 will prob get you at least one of each, stack'em'high/sell'em'cheap department stores are a good bet, TJ Hughes, TK Maxx, ect
Original post by StriderHort
If you are bargain shopping, then yeah £30 will prob get you at least one of each, stack'em'high/sell'em'cheap department stores are a good bet, TJ Hughes, TK Maxx, ect

No I mean £30 for each , so like for one jogger or one shirt. Don’t really like them stores, more of a fan of jd, Footasylum etc
Original post by Anonymous02792
No I mean £30 for each , so like for one jogger or one shirt. Don’t really like them stores, more of a fan of jd, Footasylum etc

If going a bit more upmarket, then yeah, I'd imagine £30 a throw would do, but you might need a go a bit higher for hoodies.

IMO don't write off department stores though, they sell the same stuff...I like my clothes but TJ Hughes has been my reliable supplier of cheap Adidas Super Suede's, Levis and a fair bit of EA7 gear for many years.
Reply 4
What? The carbon footprint of fast fashion is worse than car exhaust. It was demonstrated by an undergrad some two yrs ago and rapidly buried! Acres of wool, cotton and nylon harvested only to be consigned to landfill. Not to mention the raw power of the mills required to process and weave it. Those huge factories you see belching smoke are not all power stations.
Original post by Vinny C
What? The carbon footprint of fast fashion is worse than car exhaust. It was demonstrated by an undergrad some two yrs ago and rapidly buried! Acres of wool, cotton and nylon harvested only to be consigned to landfill. Not to mention the raw power of the mills required to process and weave it. Those huge factories you see belching smoke are not all power stations.

Yes, Clothes exist.
Original post by Vinny C

I’m sorry?
Boohoo/Boohooman have really good clothes that are quite cheap so check them out.
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
Yes, Clothes exist.

But no need to buy new ones twice a year. Would you do so with a car?
Original post by Vinny C
But no need to buy new ones twice a year. Would you do so with a car?

No one mentioned timescales. Cars are made of mostly metal and plastic, which generally lasts longer than cotton.

Dude, clothes exist, just make peace with it. :bebored:
Original post by Vinny C

So what? People need to wear clothes. If you want to wear the same thing all year round or want to wear a recycled paper bag, you’re free to do so.
Those 1850's pics of Manchester belching smoke were cotton mills, not steel mills. All we have done is export the pollution for the benefit of the fashion conscious.
ASOS have some good cheaper ones.
Lmao what has this thread turned into 😂
An environmentally friendly one... I know you hate it. Environment is supposed to be about cars and the Amazon but 4 billion wanting a new outfit every month because it's cheap does equally as much damage. This study was done, proven and rapidly buried.

Quick Reply

Latest