The Student Room Group

My A-Level results were **** but I’m still going to uni...

My results were shocking. I was expecting higher:
Sociology - D (I’m going to be studying Sociology at CCCU)
History - E (I was shocked because I thought I was getting no lower than a C)
Criminology - U (everyone in my class got a U because of our crap teacher who never showed up).
Feel free to post what you got. I’m proud of myself simply because I know the struggle I went through in year 13. You lot may think that I don’t deserve my place at uni (I got my unconditional offer back in January) but I’m proud of myself and I start on September 23rd!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by It'sjoe
Criminology - U (everyone in my class got a U because of our crap teacher who never showed up).
Feel free to post what you got. I’m proud of myself simply because I know the struggle I went through in year 13. You lot may think that I don’t deserve my place at uni (I got my unconditional offer back in January) but I’m proud of myself and I start on September 23rd!

Thanks so much for sharing this! And a HUGE congratulations!!!!! You so deserve a place. Your grades don't represent your capabilities. Some people are just awesome at taking at exams and dealing with the pressure and others aren't (me).

I got CCD and still got into Uni. Whoop! (I'm graduated now FYI and I got a 2:1 in Education studies)

Enjoy Uni!! :biggrin:
Original post by It'sjoe

Thank you for sharing! Well done, and I hope you really enjoy uni. Let us know how you get on! :heart:
Reply 3
how did you get a D in sociology? lol, what exam board did you do?
anyway congrats on your uni place

in regards to the history...its not your fualt at all! honestly so many people flopped history and as a matter of fact there was an issue with the examiners bieng subjective when marking.
and about criminology, that couldnt be your fualt, if you didn't get resources and your teacher doesn't show up thats not on you. Honestly even if you have all the recourses a teacher can still be very improtant, to understanding.
i got amazing grade in my sociology but thats all on my teacher and no one else!
Reply 4
Original post by HZXHZX
how did you get a D in sociology? lol, what exam board did you do?
anyway congrats on your uni place

in regards to the history...its not your fualt at all! honestly so many people flopped history and as a matter of fact there was an issue with the examiners bieng subjective when marking.
and about criminology, that couldnt be your fualt, if you didn't get resources and your teacher doesn't show up thats not on you. Honestly even if you have all the recourses a teacher can still be very improtant, to understanding.
i got amazing grade in my sociology but thats all on my teacher and no one else!

I got a C in the mock. I was gutted to get a D grade. It’s this whole subjective issue I guess.
Reply 5
i got a c in the mocks but a B in the results. get it remarked?
Ooooof
Reply 7
Original post by It'sjoe

I’m sorry but I’m going to be honest with you, in complete contrast to the other posters so far. I don’t think you should be going to university with DEU. A levels are just a glimpse of what is to come at university and honestly since you’ve pretty much failed your a levels how do you plan on coping with advanced study at university? The institutions that take students with your grades are just using you as a cash cow. You should research the graduate prospects of this university and you will see for yourself you will have a hard time getting a job with both those grades and the uni you went to. I would strongly suggest you either take a year out and study your subjects inside out and resit your a levels (if you believe you can improve) or look into an apprenticeship/paid employment. Either way, rushing into life in your position with bad grades is not the way to go. Even if you had an awful teacher, there are so many resources online you can use, including TSR.
Original post by It'sjoe

That's great well done ! I wouldn't call those grades "shocking" at all, you have passed 2 A levels which is amazing and you deserve your place at Uni because you worked hard. Anybody who says otherwise is a complete low-life who deliberately tries to get people down and you should ignore them and focus on your own personal goals and achievements. The unconditional offer you received must mean that you smashed your personal statement /interview etc which shows that the University recognizes you as an excellent candidate for the course. Well done ! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Loreto2018
That's great well done ! I wouldn't call those grades "shocking" at all, you have passed 2 A levels which is amazing and you deserve your place at Uni because you worked hard. Anybody who says otherwise is a complete low-life who deliberately tries to get people down and you should ignore them and focus on your own personal goals and achievements. The unconditional offer you received must mean that you smashed your personal statement /interview etc which shows that the University recognizes you as an excellent candidate for the course. Well done ! :smile:

The university was mistaken. The OP failed and should resit. Surely you can see that is the best option for him in the context of his results?
Reply 10
Original post by DaniyalShah
Nah because it was the university's choice to give you an unconditional so now they can't go back and say "No sorry you don't deserve it" if you got good enough grades to get an unconditional offer then you deserve it because that's how the rules work.

This is why unconditional offers should be scrapped unless you already completed your a levels
Resit.
I got a C in History too, even though I was expecting myself to get either A/A*. History marking was a load of crap.
Original post by Loreto2018

Just barely passing isn't good enough for uni education! If OP can barely do this then uni is a different story
By the way OP, which uni/course are you doing and what were your predicted grades?
I was rejected from university of Birmingham because I got 3 Cs at a level, despite never getting them in my maps leading up to the exams 😰.Such a disappointment because I cannot resit as I am already 19 years old.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jbrdodd
I got a C in History too, even though I was expecting myself to get either A/A*. History marking was a load of crap.

THE SAME HAPPENED TO ME. I got a C when i was expecting an A. Yes I agree history marking is so much crap! I am now getting it remarked... hopefully my grade goes up!!!
Original post by HamzaAli101
THE SAME HAPPENED TO ME. I got a C when i was expecting an A. Yes I agree history marking is so much crap! I am now getting it remarked... hopefully my grade goes up!!!

I was gonna get mine remarked but I still got into my course, so don't think it's gonna be really worth it
Original post by jbrdodd
I was gonna get mine remarked but I still got into my course, so don't think it's gonna be really worth it

I had an unconditional so it didnt really matter. But I still want as high grades as possible!

My results right now - Law - A* Economics - B History - C

Im hoping my History goes to an A. SO I can get A*AB (equivalent to AAA :smile:)
Original post by HamzaAli101
I had an unconditional so it didnt really matter. But I still want as high grades as possible!

My results right now - Law - A* Economics - B History - C

Im hoping my History goes to an A. SO I can get A*AB (equivalent to AAA :smile:)

Mines a conditional, so I don't really wanna risk it if ygm

Quick Reply

Latest