The Student Room Group

Alternatives to studying a degree after A-Levels?

I've finished college and was wondering whether there are other alternatives to university in particular if I wanted to work in a school setting.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SnowyOwl1507
I've finished college and was wondering whether there are other alternatives to university in particular if I wanted to work in a school setting.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

An apprenticeship? Maybe schools will allow you to work at a trainee teacher alongside completing extra qualifications?
Original post by S.carter
An apprenticeship? Maybe schools will allow you to work at a trainee teacher alongside completing extra qualifications?

Could he not just do an apprenticeship before a levels then? Wouldn’t they factor into which apprenticeship he could do? Curious
@04MR17 might know if there are any apprenticeship/work-based training schemes for working in schools or education. It will probably depend on what you want to do though; working as e.g. administrative or reception staff would probably have different requirements to becoming a teacher or teaching assistant. If you clarify what kind of work you'd like to do (and what kind of school you would like to work in; primary, secondary, reception, SEN) that might help people offer more precise advice.
Original post by S.carter

I have considered the apprenticeship option, and have applied to one that I found so far as a teaching assistant.
Do you know of any good websites to apply for an apprenticeship?
Original post by SnowyOwl1507
I have considered the apprenticeship option, and have applied to one that I found so far as a teaching assistant.
Do you know of any good websites to apply for an apprenticeship?

This site is aimed at the apprentice employers, but might be a good starting point for finding people to contact:
https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/?routes=Education-and-childcare&levelFrom=4&levelTo=6

It looks like one Level 4-5 Higher apprenticeship standard related to teaching. And then a Level 6 standard (Which I would assume is aimed at graduates or people who have completed the 4-5 standard first)
You can click through the 4-5 standard to find training providers who you can get in contact with.
Original post by Anonymous02792
Could he not just do an apprenticeship before a levels then? Wouldn’t they factor into which apprenticeship he could do? Curious

That depends on the apprenticeship level; school-leavers with GCSEs are eligible to apply to Level 3 'advanced' apprenticeships leading to a qualification which is broadly equivalent to A-Levels/BTEC. There are also 'Higher' Level 4/5/6 apprenticeships and Degree-apprenticeships which lead to university-level qualifications (or a full degree in the case of a Degree-apprenticeship), so those would require at least some Level 3 qualificiation like A-Levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
my daughter tried university for half a term, didn't like it and got a job as an lsa in a primary school just after xmas this year. she completed her level 3 award in supporting learning in 2 terms via distance learning (which she got on a grouping deal for 200 I think) and is starting a foundation degree at the local college (awarded by a local uni) in september. you can get sfe funding for the foundation degree to cover the tuition fees which for her are about 4k a year . it takes 3 years for the foundation degree and a further year to top up to the full degree ... the advantage over an apprenitceship is she is on a full lsa wage not apprentice wages ! but of course she has to find the time to study herself there is no time off work to study !
There is an apprenticeship to become a teacher but it's not a widely explored route and I don't know an awful lot about it. :redface:

With current funding there aren't as many teaching assistant jobs around as there used to be but it's worth looking at what qualifications are required for that and the best route into it.

Beyond that, easiest route would be as an administrator but that doesn't give you a lot of contact with the students. :colondollar:
Original post by winterscoming
This site is aimed at the apprentice employers, but might be a good starting point for finding people to contact:
https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/?routes=Education-and-childcare&levelFrom=4&levelTo=6

It looks like one Level 4-5 Higher apprenticeship standard related to teaching. And then a Level 6 standard (Which I would assume is aimed at graduates or people who have completed the 4-5 standard first)
You can click through the 4-5 standard to find training providers who you can get in contact with.

Thank you very much for the site, will have a look through them hopefully!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending