The Student Room Group

Official Cambridge university 2020 maths applicants thread

Hi everyone! This thread is for anyone considering applying to Cambridge for maths in October (so current year 12s). We should all use this resource to help each other with preparing for step etc!! Please post:

1) What your GCSE and a level predicted grades are
2) What college you’re thinking of applying to
3) Why Cambridge?

Some resources to start:

https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/about-step/

Scroll to see replies

GCSE : 99888877776
A Level predicted: A* A* A*

I’m going to apply to Jesus

By far the best uni for maths and going to Cambridge sets you for life
Original post by benjiboy46
GCSE : 99888877776
A Level predicted: A* A* A*

I’m going to apply to Jesus

By far the best uni for maths and going to Cambridge sets you for life

Nice! I’m predicted 3a*s in maths, further maths and physics - are you doing the same? Not sure atm which college to apply to...why Jesus?
Original post by olympiad1357
Nice! I’m predicted 3a*s in maths, further maths and physics - are you doing the same? Not sure atm which college to apply to...why Jesus?

Yeah I do those a levels, I’m also predicted an A at German AS level. I was originally going to apply to Trinity but it seemed to formal for me, Jesus seems a bit more sporty and informal. It’s also less touristy and does flexible offers
Jesus looks really nice, the problem for me with it is the low admissions rate as opposed to somewhere where much fewer people want to apply. How are u gonna prep for interview?
Original post by benjiboy46
Yeah I do those a levels, I’m also predicted an A at German AS level. I was originally going to apply to Trinity but it seemed to formal for me, Jesus seems a bit more sporty and informal. It’s also less touristy and does flexible offers
Jesus looks really nice, the problem for me with it is the low admissions rate as opposed to somewhere where much fewer people want to apply. How are u gonna prep for interview?

I wouldn’t consider the fewer applicants really. If you apply to a popular college and they think you’re worthy of a place, you’d be put into the pool.

The interview is all maths based isn’t it? So I’m just gonna do as much maths as possible, try not to overthink it
Hey everyone!

I’m thinking of applying for either maths or maths and physics

GCSE: 12A*, 1A
AS levels: 4A
Haven’t got my predicted grades yet

College: I’m not sure on the college yet. I’m looking at a few including Queens, trinity, trinity hall and kings.
Reply 8
Hey everyone!

I didn't take GCSEs as I'm an international applicants.
AS Level : AA (physics and chemistry)
A Level : A* (math)
predictes A level : A*A*A* (incl further maths)
I did two STEP papers this year, which are 1 and 2 and got grade S,1.
I'm thinking about applying to Trinity college but I heard the competition is really severe! And most of them end up into winter pool. I didn't represents my country in any math competitions which I heard most of the offer holders do. Since then, do I still stand a chance in applying for Trinity?
I am a Cambridge reject 2019 entry. Ask me any questions.
Original post by neon1041
I am a Cambridge reject 2019 entry. Ask me any questions.

What did you get on STEP and what were your A level results? What college did you have an offer from?
I got 2A* A with A in physics. I took maths,further maths and physics. I got grade 2 in step 1. Grade U in other two exams. I applied to Girton college but got rejected post interview.
Original post by fpanng
Hey everyone!

I didn't take GCSEs as I'm an international applicants.
AS Level : AA (physics and chemistry)
A Level : A* (math)
predictes A level : A*A*A* (incl further maths)
I did two STEP papers this year, which are 1 and 2 and got grade S,1.
I'm thinking about applying to Trinity college but I heard the competition is really severe! And most of them end up into winter pool. I didn't represents my country in any math competitions which I heard most of the offer holders do. Since then, do I still stand a chance in applying for Trinity?

Hey! Im in quite a similar boat actually - as an international applicant the only CIE Subject I've done is Maths through to A Levels, but not Further Maths.
I did well in STEP this year but have never been to IMO, ICHO or anything similar, so Im also worried that if I apply to trinity I'll be rejected.
By the way what are you planning on studying (I hope to do ENG instead of maths)?
Reply 13
Original post by Storm_Fafnir
Hey! Im in quite a similar boat actually - as an international applicant the only CIE Subject I've done is Maths through to A Levels, but not Further Maths.
I did well in STEP this year but have never been to IMO, ICHO or anything similar, so Im also worried that if I apply to trinity I'll be rejected.
By the way what are you planning on studying (I hope to do ENG instead of maths)?

That's really good if you applying for ENG and got your step alrd, what grade was it? I'm planning to take maths.
yeah, but some of them will get an offer from the pool with the same chance as open application I think.
Original post by fpanng
That's really good if you applying for ENG and got your step alrd, what grade was it? I'm planning to take maths.
yeah, but some of them will get an offer from the pool with the same chance as open application I think.

S in Step 1, which meets the Grade 1 that they usually ask for. Im just really concerned that not having done FM or a uni course early will mean my application is weaker than other peoples, especially with the Cambridge courses (eg physics) being harder than that in my country. Getting into Trinity would be sooo good though because it is also one of the richer colleges so hopefully I can have some financial aid
I’m a Cambridge reject as well. Got 1 in step 2 and 3 and 4 A* at the end of year 13. Planning to reapply this year
Reply 16
S in Step 1, which meets the Grade 1 that they usually ask for. Im just really concerned that not having done FM or a uni course early will mean my application is weaker than other peoples, especially with the Cambridge courses (eg physics) being harder than that in my country. Getting into Trinity would be sooo good though because it is also one of the richer colleges so hopefully I can have some financial aid

I am pretty sure that other people wouldn't have an S in step 1! so I think you stand a good chance to apply for ENG.
Original post by fpanng
I am pretty sure that other people wouldn't have an S in step 1! so I think you stand a good chance to apply for ENG.

Thanks, I hope so :smile:. And, in your case, I doubt many others will have done Step 2 ahead, on top of Step 1, and got grades S,1!
Reply 18
Thanks, I hope so :smile:. And, in your case, I doubt many others will have done Step 2 ahead, on top of Step 1, and got grades S,1!

Thank you, but my seniors who got into Trinity got S,S in y12! and it was insane! but I could get an S in the second paper if they do not add the new syllabus which is AS further maths. good luck for your application ahead!
Original post by fpanng
Thank you, but my seniors who got into Trinity got S,S in y12! and it was insane! but I could get an S in the second paper if they do not add the new syllabus which is AS further maths. good luck for your application ahead!

Cheers, you too. With a good interview I think both of our chances are good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending