The Student Room Group

I need help :(

Hi,
I feel like my life is just going downhill.
I am a first year university student and I failed first year last year, so I had to resit all the exams this year and got better grades for most of them. However, I failed one again due to circumstances beyond my control so have to resit that one exam again this coming week.
I fell ill again last week and don't know why but I find this exam really hard. I really don't know what to do.
My parents are already mad that I failed the year and now have to resit the exam again, and I really don't want to disappoint them. If I fail again, I don't know where I am going to go. Clearing has already taken place so there may not be places at other universities. Many of my friends will graduate next year and if I fail this exam, I will have wasted a whole three years of my life as I think I'll get kicked out, and will have to try search for another university in September.
I just don't know what to do. I am really trying hard to pass, but it's just a horrible situation I am in and I keep getting these moments of panic. I feel like my parents and life is just giving up on me.
I just want to get through a good uni and graduate.
Thank you for reading, and any advice will be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am a first year university student and I failed first year last year, so I had to resit all the exams this year and got better grades for most of them. However, I failed one again due to circumstances beyond my control so have to resit that one exam again this coming week.
I fell ill again last week and don't know why but I find this exam really hard. I really don't know what to do.
My parents are already mad that I failed the year and now have to resit the exam again, and I really don't want to disappoint them. If I fail again, I don't know where I am going to go. Clearing has already taken place so there may not be places at other universities. Many of my friends will graduate next year and if I fail this exam, I will have wasted a whole three years of my life as I think I'll get kicked out, and will have to try search for another university in September.
I just don't know what to do. I am really trying hard to pass, but it's just a horrible situation I am in and I keep getting these moments of panic. I feel like my parents and life is just giving up on me.

How will you have wasted 3 years? Did you take a gap year first?

I am sorry you feel like this. All I can say is try to revise as much as you can, stay calm. Do you actually like the course?

Also it's not a race- you have only had 1 year at university, you still have enough funding left to try again. Another year out to discover which course to apply for next year (if you do fail), some time for you to earn some money and have a break might really help you.
Hi,

What subject are you doing?
what subject are you studying? is there a different course you may be more suited to, or an apprenticeship that would be better suited to?
Reply 4

I am sorry you feel like this. All I can say is try to revise as much as you can, stay calm. Do you actually like the course?

Also it's not a race- you have only had 1 year at university, you still have enough funding left to try again. Another year out to discover which course to apply for next year (if you do fail), some time for you to earn some money and have a break might really help you.

Thank you for replying,

Well, I spent first year at uni, then had a year off for the retakes, and now, if I fail and don't find a university, I'll have effectively wasted three years.

Thank you, and yes, this course is almost perfect for me except for this module which is important, but I can't seem to grasp. There are barely any universities that do it.

I had a break for a whole year, and I really just want to finish my degree. I really want to do my degree at this university since it was/is my dream university. My parents are already furious, and it is really embarrassing as I've basically been lying to other family members/friends saying that I just took a year out for educational purposes. Many of my friends will be graduating next year and I just feel embarrassed if I haven't even started university :frown:
Reply 5
What subject are you doing?

It's an engineering degree
Thank you for replying,

Well, I spent first year at uni, then had a year off for the retakes, and now, if I fail and don't find a university, I'll have effectively wasted three years.

Thank you, and yes, this course is almost perfect for me except for this module which is important, but I can't seem to grasp. There are barely any universities that do it.

I had a break for a whole year, and I really just want to finish my degree. I really want to do my degree at this university since it was/is my dream university. My parents are already furious, and it is really embarrassing as I've basically been lying to other family members/friends saying that I just took a year out for educational purposes. Many of my friends will be graduating next year and I just feel embarrassed if I haven't even started university :frown:

All you can do is try your best. Wishing you the best of luck.

Don't feel embarrassed though, you wouldn't be that far behind. A few years is nothing :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by nintysixthousand
what subject are you studying? is there a different course you may be more suited to, or an apprenticeship that would be better suited to?

I'm doing an engineering degree.
The only other course that I would think of is probably Computer Science.

I really want to just do this course and finish my degree rather than an apprenticeship. I worked really hard for many years just to get to this university, and it feels horrible to think that I may not graduate from it :frown:
Reply 8
All you can do is try your best. Wishing you the best of luck.

Don't feel embarrassed though, you wouldn't be that far behind. A few years is nothing :smile:

Thank you so much :redface:

I am really worried if there is a strange question and it just puts me off my game :frown:

Thank you again, I really hope this works out though. I know that a few years is nothing, but I just don't want to have wasted three years of my life for no reason :frown:
Reply 9

Original post by nintysixthousand

Hey guys, just a quick update:
I passed my exams so will be moving onto the next year thankfully :smile:

Thank you for replying and helping me out, it is really appreciated.
Reply 10
Hey guys, just a quick update:
I passed my exams so will be moving onto the next year thankfully :smile:

Thank you for replying and helping me out, it is really appreciated.

Glad you passed and I'm pleased for you. I failed first year twice and got kicked out. Those two years of not getting employed sucked. I then appreciated university and I hated my self for not studying hard enough :frown:. However, I managed to start again at a different uni and now I'll be going into my final year :biggrin:

Stuff happens but you have to keep going and keep a positive attitude
Original post by 994212
Glad you passed and I'm pleased for you. I failed first year twice and got kicked out. Those two years of not getting employed sucked. I then appreciated university and I hated my self for not studying hard enough :frown:. However, I managed to start again at a different uni and now I'll be going into my final year :biggrin:

Stuff happens but you have to keep going and keep a positive attitude

Thank you very much, I am really happy as I don't know what I would've done if I failed this time.

It's nice to know that you are doing well now. First year of uni is really a big jump from A-Levels so it can get a bit overwhelming.

Good Luck for your final year, I hope it goes well and that you find a nice job afterwards :smile:
Hi,

Maybe you should consider talking to a therapist. I can understand the pressure you are under, especially when it comes to parents. If it gets worse, you should sit down with your parents and try to explain what you are going through - they may not understand why you aren't doing as well as they expect you to do at uni so, if you talk to them and maybe ask for their help and support, they may be appreciative and work with you through this situation. Try and ask your tutor or friends for help and maybe see what your university can do in order to support you with the pressure and stress you are feeling.

Another thing that may help you focus on studies is to go to the library and just aim to complete a few hours of revision then maybe spend a night in with a couple of friends and keep a revision routine. Try to go out less because that can also mess with your sleep pattern and then have a knock on effect on your exams/revision. If you are really struggling with this one exam, ask your friends how they managed to pass, what revision they did and maybe ask them for their notes too.

Also, something that you should keep remember is that you and your mental/physical health should always be more important than grades!

Good luck :smile:

If you have any questions, feel free to message me!!

PS.

I just realised that you've already passed - CONGRATULATIONS!! That is fantastic news :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ru_shahh
Maybe you should consider talking to a therapist. I can understand the pressure you are under, especially when it comes to parents. If it gets worse, you should sit down with your parents and try to explain what you are going through - they may not understand why you aren't doing as well as they expect you to do at uni so, if you talk to them and maybe ask for their help and support, they may be appreciative and work with you through this situation. Try and ask your tutor or friends for help and maybe see what your university can do in order to support you with the pressure and stress you are feeling.

Another thing that may help you focus on studies is to go to the library and just aim to complete a few hours of revision then maybe spend a night in with a couple of friends and keep a revision routine. Try to go out less because that can also mess with your sleep pattern and then have a knock on effect on your exams/revision. If you are really struggling with this one exam, ask your friends how they managed to pass, what revision they did and maybe ask them for their notes too.

Also, something that you should keep remember is that you and your mental/physical health should always be more important than grades!

Good luck :smile:

If you have any questions, feel free to message me!!

Hi!
Thank you for replying.

I appreciate the advice and it is really helpful. My main problem was just with this one module. I got over 60% in most of my other ones, but this is the one I just couldn't pass for some reason. Luckily I passed now :smile:

I am planning on going to the library from this year but your suggestion for the revision with friends in the library is quite good, so I think I will take that :smile:

I agree that mental/physical health is more important than grades, that's a very important point. I think it's better now and hopefully will stay that way.

Thanks again for the help :h:
Reply 14
Thank you very much, I am really happy as I don't know what I would've done if I failed this time.

It's nice to know that you are doing well now. First year of uni is really a big jump from A-Levels so it can get a bit overwhelming.

Good Luck for your final year, I hope it goes well and that you find a nice job afterwards :smile:

Thank you very much kind friend and good luck with the rest of your degree and I know you will do well this time! Inbox if you need a friend to chat to :smile:
Original post by 994212
Thank you very much kind friend and good luck with the rest of your degree and I know you will do well this time! Inbox if you need a friend to chat to :smile:

Thanks man, good luck again to you too :wink:

If you need a friend to chat to, reply to one of my posts on this thread, and I'll reply back since I'm Anon at the moment, and then I'll inbox you :smile:
Hi!
Thank you for replying.

I appreciate the advice and it is really helpful. My main problem was just with this one module. I got over 60% in most of my other ones, but this is the one I just couldn't pass for some reason. Luckily I passed now :smile:

I am planning on going to the library from this year but your suggestion for the revision with friends in the library is quite good, so I think I will take that :smile:

I agree that mental/physical health is more important than grades, that's a very important point. I think it's better now and hopefully will stay that way.

Thanks again for the help :h:

No worries! I am happy to help :smile:

Good luck with the rest of uni x
Honestly don’t worry about your friends all graduating. I failed uni and got kicked out and literally didn’t know what to do. I’ll be starting uni next year after all my friends graduate and before it made me feel so bad but now it’s not a big deal anymore
Maybe look at why you keep failing? Is it revision technique because I realised for me that was the reason I failed (a bit late now I know)
Maybe look into submitting extenuating circumstances for your exam?
Honestly don’t worry about your friends all graduating. I failed uni and got kicked out and literally didn’t know what to do. I’ll be starting uni next year after all my friends graduate and before it made me feel so bad but now it’s not a big deal anymore
Maybe look at why you keep failing? Is it revision technique because I realised for me that was the reason I failed (a bit late now I know)
Maybe look into submitting extenuating circumstances for your exam?

Thank you for replying :smile:

I was just really upset because the uni I currently go to is my dream uni that I have been wishing to go to for a really long time.
Failing the year already set me behind and I didn't do much work during that time :frown:
I don't want to keep on submitting extenuating circumstances and my parents won't allow it because I've already done it twice and my parents say that this is just me making excuses for my mistakes.

Did you also fail first year twice?
Hopefully things work out well :redface:
Original post by Ru_shahh
No worries! I am happy to help :smile:

Good luck with the rest of uni x

Thank you :smile:

Good Luck to you too :h:

Quick Reply

Latest