The Student Room Group

Food cost per week

How much do current students spend per week on food? I have a budget of £25 is this enough?
Original post by ElNiñoo
How much do current students spend per week on food? I have a budget of £25 is this enough?

I'd say it depends on the city you live in, of course.
When I did my BA, I'd spend about £25-30ish every couple of weeks; otherwise it'd be £10-15 ish. I generally cooked a lot of meals that would feed 3-4 people and freeze some portions so it'd last for a while, hence why some weeks were cheaper than others as I'd only need to get fresh stuff.

Hope this helps a little!
Original post by KittKatt
I'd say it depends on the city you live in, of course.
When I did my BA, I'd spend about £25-30ish every couple of weeks; otherwise it'd be £10-15 ish. I generally cooked a lot of meals that would feed 3-4 people and freeze some portions so it'd last for a while, hence why some weeks were cheaper than others as I'd only need to get fresh stuff.

Hope this helps a little!

Yeah I was planning on doing that, don't know how much room would be available in a freezer in university halls though 😂
Original post by ElNiñoo
Yeah I was planning on doing that, don't know how much room would be available in a freezer in university halls though 😂

Yeah that's the only issue is sometimes the freezer was a little small! I think I was lucky - I only lived in flats that had four people max so didn't really have much of an issue.
Original post by ElNiñoo

In general you probably will have on drawer. I shared with 10 people, we had two fridgefreezers with 5 shelves in each. However, a number of people don't use their freezer space (or much of it) so you can always overflow into their draw. Sometimes though I would eat the same meal for a number of days street but mix it up a little (I do sweet potato and bean tacos but can switch out the tortilla for some quinoa or another carb substance).
I spent between 60-100 a month (varied each month depending what I ate and how often I would buy unnecessary food). In general about 80 pound
Original post by AzureCeleste
In general you probably will have on drawer. I shared with 10 people, we had two fridgefreezers with 5 shelves in each. However, a number of people don't use their freezer space (or much of it) so you can always overflow into their draw. Sometimes though I would eat the same meal for a number of days street but mix it up a little (I do sweet potato and bean tacos but can switch out the tortilla for some quinoa or another carb substance).
I spent between 60-100 a month (varied each month depending what I ate and how often I would buy unnecessary food). In general about 80 pound

Yeah I'll probably eat the same chickpea curry recipe quite often 😂 thats good, I'm in the cheap accommodation in Bath and I still only have an average of £25 a week, but I'll mainly only be using recipes with legumes and such anyway to try bring the cost down as much as possible
Original post by KittKatt
Yeah that's the only issue is sometimes the freezer was a little small! I think I was lucky - I only lived in flats that had four people max so didn't really have much of an issue.

I'm in room 10 in my flat but on the outside the building looks relatively small so there should only be around 11 people. So hopefully there is enough room but I'm not much of a big food buyer, basics like legumes, rice, spices, fruit and veg should be enough, although my taste palate may get relatively bored fast.
Original post by ElNiñoo
Yeah I'll probably eat the same chickpea curry recipe quite often 😂 thats good, I'm in the cheap accommodation in Bath and I still only have an average of £25 a week, but I'll mainly only be using recipes with legumes and such anyway to try bring the cost down as much as possible

If you find something that tastes good and you can mix up a little then it tends to be okay eating it a lot (with my sweet potato taco I mentioned above I can change some of the toppings (avocado and feta cheese or adding another ingridient) and it changes it up.
Legumes definitely help keep things cheap. If you do want meat, look for it in the reduced section at a store and freeze it, then defrost it on the day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending