The Student Room Group

France falls 14 places in homophobia index amid spate of LGBTQ-phobic attacks

France fell 14 places on the website Spartacus' "gay travel index" from 2017 to 2018. It was the only top 20 country to have a negative index mark for hostility shown towards homosexual couples from local populations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/transphobic-attack-paris-woman-lgbt-france-algeria-protest-a8857171.html

During a rally last week in French capital, transgender woman Julia was insulted and punched as she made her way through the crowd.

The assault sparked outrage on social media, with the minister for gender equality, Marlène Schiappa, tweeting: "This clearly transphobic attack in the heart of Paris is unacceptable."

"LGBT+ phobic attitudes are not opinions but come from stupidity and hate," Ms Schiappa said.

"We have to review how we do sexual education in schools, from primary school, " one Twitter user replied to Stop Homophobie's video.

Two LGBT+ rights groups filed a complaint against former French national football player Patrice Evra for homophobic comments.

Last month, two women were attacked whilst holding hands in Lyon.

Scroll to see replies

This is incredibly troubling :indiff:
Reply 2
This is all really scary ****. I'm hoping this sentiment hasn't been whipped up by the right-wing in France as has happened with other nations -- the Rassemblement National is proving popular there. In any case, I do hope France can climb back up the table, for the culture of the country is absolutely beautiful.
Reply 3
Original post by Azurika
This is all really scary ****. I'm hoping this sentiment hasn't been whipped up by the right-wing in France as has happened with other nations -- the Rassemblement National is proving popular there. In any case, I do hope France can climb back up the table, for the culture of the country is absolutely beautiful.

That's right, blame it all on the evil right-wing, it's all their fault as always. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with France's policy of admitting huge numbers of migrants from nations and societies that are highly unfriendly towards homosexuality....

On a side note, London has the worst rates for homophobic violence of any area in the UK by no small margin. Not some rural, white backwater in the north as some might have expected, but in oh so open, tollerant and multicultural London. Isn't that interesting....
Reply 4
Original post by Wōden
That's right, blame it all on the evil right-wing, it's all their fault as always. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with France's policy of admitting huge numbers of migrants from nations and societies that are highly unfriendly towards homosexuality....

On a side note, London has the worst rates for homophobic violence of any area in the UK by no small margin. Not some rural, white backwater in the north as some might have expected, but in oh so open, tollerant and multicultural London. Isn't that interesting....

This is indeed possible, but the real question is how it's happened so suddenly there. This kind of thing couldn't have just happened overnight -- France has been accepting migrants from nations that are opposed to homosexuality for quite a while. If this were in relation to the migration crisis, the shift would have happened sooner. Something just doesn't entirely connect. However, I will add that Patrice Evra, the football player in question from OP was born in Senegal, where LGBTQ+ identities are stigmatised to the point of illegality, and that this could be an influence on his frankly inexcusable viewpoints.

Just to be clear: I'm not anti-right. The right-wing has a place in our political system. There is plenty of value in conserving traditions in society. However, anti-LGBT sentiment does often stem from the right. This isn't always true, of course, but it's something you'd hope isn't happening. Having that said, I will need to read more into this.
Looking at the attack in the video especially I think it's important to know there are much deeper issues in France's society. This was during an Algerian Presidents protest organised in Paris (As Algerian make up the largest immigrant group in France) and of course, Algeria is a Muslim majority country where homosexuality is illegal. Sadly large groups of Algerian/Muslim immigrants in France haven't assimilated to Western Culture.

This is neither good for France or the Algerian's. France's far-right groups will use this to show how Muslims cannot handle Western Values and to persuade anti-immigration, and the Algerians/French-Muslims will most likely be discriminated against due to this. I do hope France, review's it's school's teaching policy's on this stuff and where it gets its economic migrants from as something has clearly gone very wrong.
Original post by Wōden

This is what happens when you let people into your country that have different views on things we do, couldn’t agree more
Reply 7
Original post by schoolsboring
Looking at the attack in the video especially I think it's important to know there are much deeper issues in France's society. This was during an Algerian Presidents protest organised in Paris (As Algerian make up the largest immigrant group in France) and of course, Algeria is a Muslim majority country where homosexuality is illegal. Sadly large groups of Algerian/Muslim immigrants in France haven't assimilated to Western Culture.

This is neither good for France or the Algerian's. France's far-right groups will use this to show how Muslims cannot handle Western Values and to persuade anti-immigration, and the Algerians/French-Muslims will most likely be discriminated against due to this. I do hope France, review's it's school's teaching policy's on this stuff and where it gets its economic migrants from as something has clearly gone very wrong.

Do you reckon it could lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy where the attacks from members of the Algerian population could become worse as they become more marginalised?
Original post by Azurika
Do you reckon it could lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy where the attacks from members of the Algerian population could become worse as they become more marginalised?

Absolutely, the problem is Algerian culture and French/Western culture are completely differently having differing views on women, LGBT which does isolate them from the population. As it's been shown in studies how especially migrant's who feel more isolated from society are more likely to carry out attacks. I don't think immigration is bad I just think where there getting the migrant's from is the main issue.
Original post by Azurika

Its as numbers grow that cultures like this feel more confident to carry out these attacks.
The larger their community the less they feel the need to integrate. For example the schools in Birmingham and elsewhere with parents refusing to let their children be taught tolerance of lbgt. If these lessons had been taught years ago when Muslim numbers first started to rise we may have stood a chance, but not now.
They bring their dominant attitudes to gays and bigotry with them, lock stock and barrel.
Its no coincidence that every country in the world where homosexuality is illegal and even punishable by death happens to be Muslim.
(edited 4 years ago)
😯😯
Original post by Just my opinion
Its as numbers grow that cultures like this feel more confident to carry out these attacks.
The larger their community the less they feel the need to integrate. For example the schools in Birmingham and elsewhere with parents refusing to let their children be taught tolerance of lbgt. If these lessons had been taught years ago when Muslim numbers first started to rise we may have stood a chance, but not now.
They bring their dominant attitudes to gays and bigotry with them, lock stock and barrel.
Its no coincidence that every country in the world where homosexuality is illegal and even punishable by death happens to be Muslim.

Exactly! I mean no one can even get mad because everyone knows this is the truth.
Original post by Wōden

How do you know the attack wasn’t done by native French
If you’re gay, don’t go to France. Is that what your saying? Just because it’s happens to a few people doesn’t mean it’s a bad place
Original post by Sophia970
How do you know the attack wasn’t done by native French

If you look at the video of the attack, the person doing it is literally wearing an Algerian flag. And also you saying just don't go to France if it's not LGBT friendly isn't the solution. It's managed to drop 14 places which shows something needs to be done.
Reply 15
Original post by Just my opinion

Yep, all the countries where there is a death sentence for homosexuality are Muslim dominated or have a large Muslim population/majority.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/14/countries-where-being-gay-is-legally-punishable-by-death/39574685/
Original post by Wōden

That because most white British people whatever social class don't care about sexuality I've near meet white British person who would disown a family member for being gay.
I can't wait for a day when I don't have to look up whether I can travel to a country with my same-sex partner and not worry about something simple like holding hands. It worries me that some people actually think that LGBT+ issues are 'fixed' or get too much attention. At this rate, we will always need to be standing up again homophobia. It's like how people don't think racism is really a problem anymore when it really really is. Thank you to everyone, both LGBT+ and allies, who continue to raise awareness, educate, and stand up for these issues.
Reply 18
Not entirely sure being foreign is relevant is it? Plenty of natives in, well, every single country dislike gays and whatnot for a multitude of reasons be it religious or not.
Original post by looloo2134
That because most white British people whatever social class don't care about sexuality I've near meet white British person who would disown a family member for being gay.

I suggest you go visit more 'white British' people then. There are still plenty who find gays, transsexuals et al. err distasteful shall we say.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Bumping this to prove a point.

What point?
Homophobia is easily more prevalent amongst certain foreign groups than amongst the majority of native white brits, something that can be easily demonstrated with a cursory look at statistics on attitudes

Original post by Napp
Not entirely sure being foreign is relevant is it? Plenty of natives in, well, every single country dislike gays and whatnot for a multitude of reasons be it religious or not.

I suggest you go visit more 'white British' people then. There are still plenty who find gays, transsexuals et al. err distasteful shall we say.

What point?

Quick Reply

Latest