The Student Room Group

My (very boring) GCSE GYG -- Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Roses & Dreams
Fair enough. I mean after learning about houseflies and disease in Bio, I can't stand the creatures (not that I liked them in the first place but you know). :blah:

If you think an apprenticeship is the right route for you, then go for it. Think over your options, but if it's what makes you happy then that's what you have to pursue. :albertein: Yup you overestimated quite a bit on Uni, to go to a top Uni such as Oxford it costs £9,000 ish per year. And you don't have to pay it back straight away either, I think you have the option of paying back when you are earning £25,000 (around that sum) per year. :awesome: Anyway, don't quote me on that I've probably got most of if wrong lol but just go for the option you'll enjoy most. You have plenty of time to choose. :yep:

I’m gonna do my research now and have a look at the options.. I could come out of this with a completely different plan... For my uni costs, I was also factoring in accommodation (IDK like £6000) and then general living costs etc etc. I’m sure there’s also interest 🤮 or something that will increase the price too ☹️.

It’s really annoying that apprentices don’t have the option of a maintenance loan and only HSBC are nice enough to give them student bank account.. it seems they have been kind of forgotten about just because they have a job :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RyanC_
I’m gonna do my research now and have a look at the options.. I could come out of this with a completely different plan... For my uni costs, I was also factoring in accommodation (IDK like £6000) and then general living costs etc etc. I’m sure there’s also interest 🤮 or something that will increase the price too ☹️.

It’s really annoying that apprentices don’t have the option of a maintenance loan and only HSBC are nice enough to give them student bank account.. it seems they have been kind of forgotten about just because they have a job

Fair enough but it still wouldn't be £20,000 per year I don't think. :s-smilie: Never heard of Unis with interest but perhaps it exists. :dontknow: Perhaps there are cheaper Unis too, you never know. And if you are eligible you can apply for a bursary or something. :cookie:

That sounds annoying. :yep: But defo look at options available and we'll see where they take you. Best of luck!
Reply 82
Fair enough but it still wouldn't be £20,000 per year I don't think. :s-smilie: Never heard of Unis with interest but perhaps it exists. :dontknow: Perhaps there are cheaper Unis too, you never know. And if you are eligible you can apply for a bursary or something. :cookie:

That sounds annoying. :yep: But defo look at options available and we'll see where they take you. Best of luck!

No that probably is quite high :s-smilie: I looked and the average amount of debt after uni is over £50,000 :argh: .. I have savings currently that have been from birth but I'm unsure as to whether they will be used for a car or uni :dontknow: ... I hate saying this because I'm impatient, but it looks like I'm just gonna have to wait and see what happens.. I still need to go to sixth form! 😂

TBH, I'm really interested in an apprenticeship and it looks like a very viable option.. It will definitely take a lot of consideration as I don't think I'm quite ready to give up on uni yet 😂
Original post by RyanC_
BTW, does anyone have any ideas on what things I could do first that will be helpful for next year but not like hardcore revision?

Basically for like the sciences or something i would make sure you understand everything you’re being taught by like reading the specification and making sure you actually take in the stuff and watching Free science lessons [ MY GUY :smile: ] and then making notes on it so you basically have your own personalised little specification if ygm. it’s kinda dead ngl but like you can make them proper colourful and use pastel highlighters and stuff to make it kind of entertaining 😂😭 really can’t persuade can i

and then to revise my teacher told us this idea to once we’ve done writing the specification in our own notes that we should put it alll away and get like a big a3 paper and make a mindmap ( or whichever way you learn notes bullet points lists whatever ) of everything you can remember from a certain topic e.g. electricity in physics. do all this in one colour like blue and once your done and can’t remember anything else you can look at your notes and add the rest in another colour like purple. this normally takes me like an hour or two but if you do this say weekly you’ll see that the mindmaps will become more black and less purple meaning you’ll know a lot more of it. It sounds so dead like i’d much rather be watching netflix but yh. And btw i have no idea if any of that made sense so sorry :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Zeinxh
Basically for like the sciences or something i would make sure you understand everything you’re being taught by like reading the specification and making sure you actually take in the stuff and watching Free science lessons [ MY GUY :smile: ] and then making notes on it so you basically have your own personalised little specification if ygm. it’s kinda dead ngl but like you can make them proper colourful and use pastel highlighters and stuff to make it kind of entertaining 😂😭 really can’t persuade can i

and then to revise my teacher told us this idea to once we’ve done writing the specification in our own notes that we should put it alll away and get like a big a3 paper and make a mindmap ( or whichever way you learn notes bullet points lists whatever ) of everything you can remember from a certain topic e.g. electricity in physics. do all this in one colour like blue and once your done and can’t remember anything else you can look at your notes and add the rest in another colour like purple. this normally takes me like an hour or two but if you do this say weekly you’ll see that the mindmaps will become more black and less purple meaning you’ll know a lot more of it. It sounds so dead like i’d much rather be watching netflix but yh. And btw i have no idea if any of that made sense so sorry :smile:

I think that is a good idea, but I know I will tell myself to do it then give up 😂 .. I kinda have made something similar but only for C7,8,9+10 and IDK where I put them 🤦🏼*♂️... Also, the black/purple pen thing is a great idea! I think in November/December time when I start proper revision I might try that for the sciences as well as other subjects. Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by RyanC_
I think that is a good idea, but I know I will tell myself to do it then give up 😂 .. I kinda have made something similar but only for C7,8,9+10 and IDK where I put them 🤦🏼*♂️... Also, the black/purple pen thing is a great idea! I think in November/December time when I start proper revision I might try that for the sciences as well as other subjects. Thank you :biggrin:

Same i’ve done it for the paper 1 stuff because that’s all we learnt last year and i fully have 0 motivation anymore 😂 and there’s still allllll the paper 2 stuff to go and i cba. the purple / black thing was an idea from my teacher and he’s such a legend he got all a*s in whatever he did a few years ago :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by Zeinxh
Same i’ve done it for the paper 1 stuff because that’s all we learnt last year and i fully have 0 motivation anymore 😂 and there’s still allllll the paper 2 stuff to go and i cba. the purple / black thing was an idea from my teacher and he’s such a legend he got all a*s in whatever he did a few years ago :smile:

Sameeee, I have absolutely no motivation 😂 .. Are you going into Y11 too?
Original post by RyanC_
Sameeee, I have absolutely no motivation 😂 .. Are you going into Y11 too?

Yes i am GCSE2020 gangggggggg
Reply 88
WEEK 3 :smile:

Hello everyone :biggrin: it's that time of week again!

This week has been a decent week, I've been doing a lot of research for the future and I've seen some family too which has been very nice.. I am a little confused about something though, I did kind of know there was some sort of GYG competition which is ending soon but I don't know if this means that everyone has to start a new GYG.. Can someone shed some light on this please?

What I've been up to this week:
- Watching Lucifer + Death in Paradise
- I went shopping in town again and bought even more stuff from there, Amazon and eBay :colondollar:
- I rehung my whiteboard once again with proper command strips and I think it's actually gonna stay up this time (hopefully the last you will hear of things falling off the wall!)
- Reading through some resources I bought from PrimroseKitten's website
- I saw my grandparents and 2 of my cousins yesterday which was nice :smile:
- Being more active on TSR
- Changed my avatar
- Researching ways to get into accounting since I'm not sure if I should go to uni anymore :s-smilie:

More on my Uni/Apprenticeship dilemma:
Before I start, as I've said before, this is very early on to be thinking about this and there will be changes and adaptations as I go through school + sixth form but I love thinking about the future and what I want to do.
Basically, my parents were talking about uni and I keep getting the impression that they don't want me to go due to the cost even though they won't be paying (I think they're scared of me getting in loads of debt) so I've been looking into apprenticeships. I found out that I can get the exact same qualification as I wanted to get with ICAEW through a school leaver program (basically an apprenticeship but more tailored for people with 0 experience) and now I'm not sure if there's any point going to uni... I found a couple of apprenticeships on their website that are near me with decent wages so I know it is a viable option and I'm not gonna be left without anything but I'm still not 100% sure... Does anyone have any advice? .. I know I should probably wait until I'm at least at sixth form but I can't 😂

I also found out that I should change my sixth form options because it's not a good idea to have Economics and business so I want to change it to Physics, Chemistry or Geography.. What do you think is the best replacement?

My plans for this week:
- Make my checklist thing now I finally feel like I can be bothered 😆(to track my progress next year and see how well I know each topic + to make sure I'm revising everything and not just one topic)
- Be confused about the GYG competition thing 😂
- I still want to read one of my English lit texts and read through my anthology

Byeee :hello: Thanks so much for reading and good luck to anyone getting GCSE results tomorrow! :biggrin:

TAGS: (if you would like one, don't hesitate to ask :smile:)

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 89

Congrats!
Reply 91
Congrats!

@RyanC Take geography. It's the best suited for economics. The human geography portion is especially important.
Reply 93
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
@RyanC Take geography. It's the best suited for economics. The human geography portion is especially important.

I was thinking it would be best, it's just there's a very high chance that the combination of Further Maths, Economics, Maths + Geography won't be possible but I'll look more into that in November-January time when I'm thinking about sending in my application.. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 95
Original post by SmartUnicorn
Good luck!

Original post by RyanC_

I'm also going into year 11 and I barellyyyy revise so I'm hoping to make a gyg so I can keep track. we could tag each other when I make one tomorrow. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by SmartUnicorn
I'm also going into year 11 and I barellyyyy revise so I'm hoping to make a gyg so I can keep track. we could tag each other when I make one tomorrow. :smile:

I'm organising everything that I've done so far (not much) because I come alive at night 😂 and yes that would be good :smile:
Reply 98
WEEK 4 :smile:

Hiiiii :biggrin:

This week has been okay.. I was very productive on Thursday and I went into town today but otherwise, it's been like usual where I'm lazy and all I do is watch Lucifer all day 😂. My school opens on Wednesday 4th September so I will update next week as usual and then Sunday that week too (if I follow the post schedule I think I'll like.. It might change). TBH I'm still not sure whether this GYG will be archived or not.. If it is, I'll carry it on like this one but with a better name (will be my 3rd GYG in like 3 months or something 😆).

What I've been doing this week:
- I got 2019th post on the "10,000 posts before GCSE results day" thread so yay I'm £5 richer :woo:
- I spent loads of time on Thursday sorting what revision for GCSEs I had done over the past year into folders + making resources + printing ones out I had bought from PrimroseKitten. (I will include pictures below if I remember)
- I also printed out all of the poems from my poetry anthology so I can write my notes up neatly bc my anthology is just ew :s-smilie:
- Watching lots of Lucifer since I'm now addicted to it
- I tried on my school uniform and PE kit + bought new pe shirts, football socks and normal black socks
- I had my hair cut earlier today to smarten it up for school
- Bought more stuff from the shops that I don't need 😂
- Hoovered my room again
- I looked through what school books I have from Y9+10 and found out I have all my French books (from Y10), some of my science books, some of my English Lit books, all my maths books and all my Geography books.
- There's more but I forgot once again lol....

Plans for next week:
- TBH, I don't want to do much for school as I really want to rest this week and try not to think about Y11 too much lol
- After posting this, I'm gonna sort my pencil case out, polish my school shoes + put new insoles in them
- Sort out my sleeping schedule so I actually wake up for school.

When school starts again, I think want to change the sections to include how my school week was (study), how my week was (like more personal feelings, things I did in my free time etc), plans for the week ahead and whenever I get results (either from mocks or normal class tests) I will post them to track my progress (this is a GYG after all!). These titles will probably change, I'll think it over next week.

Byeeeee :hello: thanks for reading :biggrin:

TAGS: (If you would like to be added/removed, just ask)

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 99
https://imgur.com/a/JVB1S6M <-- These are some pictures of what I've done so far etc.. I hope this link works :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending