The Student Room Group

Got lower A level grades than expected should I retake?

I was originally predicted AAA but got BBB so was obviously rejected from my firm Imperial but got into Royal Holloway. My sister went there and I quite like it and wouldn't mind going but I feel like I might regret it forever if I don't retake bc I feel i could have got at least AAB. This is bc i've always got A overall in Bio other than the real thing and i got A on two papers and then really messed one up for some reason and got a C when it is usually my best paper (I think its bc of there were loads of plant hormones question and i forgot all about it) and on Chemistry I panicked during the first paper and ran out of time getting a C. Then for the second paper changed by method of revising and ended up a couple of marks off A* with a high B on the third. I just want to go to uni next year but i feel like if i ever got rejected when applying to a masters or a job I'll feel its bc of my A level results and i'll feel self conscious about it. I'm just so tired of exams atm and am looking forward to a year that isn't really important but if i retake after uni i'd have forgotten everything.
Why don't you request a remark?
Reply 2
Original post by WinterKuma
Why don't you request a remark?

I'm not that close on my Biology Paper 1 or Chem 1(I missed out more than 10 marks worth) though :frown: and i know science is rather inflexible i was thinking of getting my Eng Lang remarked just bc that subject is quite subjective and im closer to the top end of B than the bottom
Original post by itsme67
I'm not that close on my Biology Paper 1 or Chem 1(I missed out more than 10 marks worth) though :frown: and i know science is rather inflexible i was thinking of getting my Eng Lang remarked just bc that subject is quite subjective and im closer to the top end of B than the bottom

Good luck!!!
Original post by itsme67

Honestly, with a subjective subject like English Language they won’t give you more marks if the new marker disagrees on an opinion point with the old marker.

Essay based subjects often don’t go up in marks for this reason.
Original post by S.carter
Honestly, with a subjective subject like English Language they won’t give you more marks if the new marker disagrees on an opinion point with the old marker.

Essay based subjects are more prone to changes in marks, according to a report I read.
Reply 6

Yeah tbh i don't think remarks are really gonna help me bc im right in between A and B on all
Original post by WinterKuma
Essay based subjects are more prone to changes in marks, according to a report I read.

Not what I’ve heard
What report is this?
Reply 8
Original post by itsme67
I was originally predicted AAA but got BBB so was obviously rejected from my firm Imperial but got into Royal Holloway. My sister went there and I quite like it and wouldn't mind going but I feel like I might regret it forever if I don't retake bc I feel i could have got at least AAB. This is bc i've always got A overall in Bio other than the real thing and i got A on two papers and then really messed one up for some reason and got a C when it is usually my best paper (I think its bc of there were loads of plant hormones question and i forgot all about it) and on Chemistry I panicked during the first paper and ran out of time getting a C. Then for the second paper changed by method of revising and ended up a couple of marks off A* with a high B on the third. I just want to go to uni next year but i feel like if i ever got rejected when applying to a masters or a job I'll feel its bc of my A level results and i'll feel self conscious about it. I'm just so tired of exams atm and am looking forward to a year that isn't really important but if i retake after uni i'd have forgotten everything.

Hi!

First off, massive congrats on your A-level results - BBB is fabbbbb so don't do yourself an injustice!

I was predicted AAB and ended up with BCD because I basically let nerves get the better of me. I lost my place at Durham/Newcastle University to study for Biology. HOWEVER - I went through clearing and got a place at Nottingham Trent University to study biology, I worked my butt off to transfer to biomedical science and after 4 years, got a 2.1. I was then accepted at Newcastle University to do my masters in research, which I've just finished, and now I've been accepted to start a PhD in October. Now I got worse A-level results than you but hard-work and determination (and sometimes a bit of stubbornness haha) have got me where I want to be. Your results do not define you and you can do whatever you want in life. Nobody has ever asked me what I got in my A-levels, because they just care about the most recent qualification, or what experience you have and to be honest, with BBB nobody at all will say you haven't done well in industry. I'm not sure exactly what degree you wanted to do, but you can sometimes go into them and do a post-graduate degree instead such as with Medicine, you could do a biology undergrad then do post-graduate medicine (where most universities don't even ask for your A-level results providing you've got a 2.1 in your degree and good experience). So do your research but honestly, I think if I was in your situation, I wouldn't re-sit, I would first see whatever routes you can take to get the career you want.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Original post by itsme67
Yeah tbh i don't think remarks are really gonna help me bc im right in between A and B on all

Ah ok, yeah it’s v unlikely marks will change so significantly and of course you don’t want to drop down a grade either
Good luck, hope you get this sorted though
Reply 10
Not what I’ve heard
What report is this?

Essay subjects tend to be more subject to change according to: https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/01/half-of-gcse-and-a-level-grades-could-be-wrong-8198020/
...But still it probably wont help me:frown:
Original post by itsme67
Essay subjects tend to be more subject to change according to: https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/01/half-of-gcse-and-a-level-grades-could-be-wrong-8198020/
...But still it probably wont help me:frown:

I’m not sure that’s what the article is saying, I think it means that subjective subjects like English or history are less likely to be marked ‘correctly’, however, unless there’s clear error in the marking I don’t think a new marker would change the mark if they happen to disagree slightly with a judgement of the old one.

Good luck though :smile:
Have you been to Royal Holloway? If you like it maybe remarking or retaking is just unnecessary stress?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending