The Student Room Group

odds of getting into LSE/UCL when retaking exams

Hey guys,

so I missed my UCL offer for economics which was A*AA as i got A*BBB so I've decided to retake my exams and apply again to LSE/UCL econs, anyone have any thoughts on the odds of me getting in or things I should be worrying about

Scroll to see replies

Similar situ here. Missed UCL econ offer as I got AAB/AAA (physics 1 mark off A so pending remark). Retaking exams and really want to apply to econ top 5 again, but confused on my odds of getting offers this time. There are quite a few of us in this situ it seems - so unfortunate. @z190
(edited 4 years ago)
Call the uni, ask what they think about resits
Reply 3
Original post by FriedFish
Call the uni, ask what they think about resits

Yea gonna call them tomorrow because the office is closed, but i've sent an email asking if they'd still take me in
My friend missed his UCL offer the first time around by a very big margin (I think maybe 5 grades below) and retook all his a levels this year. He got an offer for the same course and made the grades this time so I imagine UCL aren’t bothered about retakes
Reply 5
Original post by honeydukes01
Similar situ here. Missed UCL econ offer as I got AAB/AAA (physics 1 mark off A so pending remark). Retaking exams and really want to apply to econ top 5 again, but confused on my odds of getting offers this time. There are quite a few of us in this situ it seems - so unfortunate. @z190

yea got B's for econs, physics and further maths, if I applied again this year not sure about what id need to wary about
literally a simple google search would have gotten you your answer. It’s the first search
Attachment not found
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jesssmith5363
literally a simple google search would have gotten you your answer. It’s the first search
Attachment not found

not sure what happened here or why it posted twice lol
Reply 8
what about the personal statement, anything new that id need to address or should i just send in the same one
Original post by LFZ91102
Yea gonna call them tomorrow because the office is closed, but i've sent an email asking if they'd still take me in

Missed my UCL Econ offer by 3 marks, have asked for priority remark. The attached picture may help answer your question.
Just trying to share some insight, never said this means it’s always the case. Completely unnecessary to be a d**k about it
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by WinterKuma
Missed my UCL Econ offer by 3 marks, have asked for priority remark. The attached picture may help answer your question.

Seeing as he replied to you today, and he seems to be high up (vice-provost), is there any chance you could ask him how A-level retakes for econ applicants are viewed? If initial grades before retakes are AAA
(edited 4 years ago)
Seeing as he replied to you today, and he seems to be high up (vice-provost), is there any chance you could ask him how retakes econ applicants are viewed? If initial grades before retakes are AAA

Why don't you email him instead?
Why don't you email him instead?

I’m happy to - just thought there might be more of a chance of a reply if you sent it, seeing as you’re already on his radar. No worries if not - only asked as I thought it would help everyone on this thread!
I’m happy to - just thought there might be more of a chance of a reply if you sent it, seeing as you’re already on his radar. No worries if not - only asked as I thought it would help everyone on this thread!

I wouldn't want to annoy UCL anymore. I've sent 10 emails to UCL hahaha.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry I didn’t use exact statistics. I know someone who got in with retakes, I thought I would share that. Does that really bother you?
There is hope for near misses!

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/sites/academic-manual/files/annex-1-1-ug-admissions-policy.pdf
16. Departments and faculties liaise with Admissions or their faculty office regarding “near miss” applicants they would like to confirm. No final decision is taken on these candidates until the Vice Provost (Education and Student Affairs) and the Vice Provost (Operations) have agreed the overall strategy with the Director of Access and Admission. The number of “near miss” applicants that can be admitted will then be confirmed. This takes place on the Monday following the release of the A-level results.

But I wouldn't keep my expectations high.
There is hope for near misses!

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/sites/academic-manual/files/annex-1-1-ug-admissions-policy.pdf
16. Departments and faculties liaise with Admissions or their faculty office regarding “near miss” applicants they would like to confirm. No final decision is taken on these candidates until the Vice Provost (Education and Student Affairs) and the Vice Provost (Operations) have agreed the overall strategy with the Director of Access and Admission. The number of “near miss” applicants that can be admitted will then be confirmed. This takes place on the Monday following the release of the A-level results.

But I wouldn't keep my expectations high.

These decisions are by Anthony Smith then (the guy in the email ss)! I’m gonna email now to see if I can get in the running but highly doubt it
These decisions are by Anthony Smith then (the guy in the email ss)! I’m gonna email now to see if I can get in the running but highly doubt it

Yup, I've also emailed to the other two but haven't received a reply from them. Let us know if he replies!
Yup, I've also emailed to the other two but haven't received a reply from them. Let us know if he replies!

Will do! Do you have the email addresses for the other 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending