The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, but i think nationality is pretty insignificant and largely just used as a tool of populism.
If you were born in the UK and feel British then you are.
Reply 3
Original post by hehwhat
Yes, but i think nationality is pretty insignificant and largely just used as a tool of populism.

Why is it insignificant?
British (nationality), but not English (ethnicity)
Reply 5
Original post by angelinahx
If you were born in the UK and feel British then you are.

How does one feel British?
Yes. British doesn't mean white
Reply 7
Original post by J0n3zviper
Why is it insignificant?

What significance does it hold (other than what it says on your passport page)?
Reply 8
No
Reply 9
Original post by SlightlySummer
British (nationality), but not English (ethnicity)

What if you're white and your great great granddad and mother came to England from Portugal and then later down the chain you were born? Is your ethnicity English for the simple fact you are white, even though your family originated from Portugal?
Original post by hehwhat

Well obviously different nationalities have different cultures so pretty significant mate
If you don’t consider yourself English, why do you care what we think?
How does one feel British?

You believe the UK to form a fundamental part of your national identity. So, for instance: I'm Swedish. My first immediate instinct if anybody asks me where I'm from is Sweden because I was raised there by a Swedish mother, I only speak Swedish, I feel nostalgic thinking about Swedish cultural traditions and I have a feeling of national belonging to the country. Therefore, even though I'm mixed-race, I very rarely get the "but where are your parents really from?!" question from closet racists when I tell them where I am in fact from regardless of where I go in the world. It's simply accepted and understood by most people that my national identity belongs to me.
British? Yes, on paper
English/ Scottish/ Welsh? Certainly not
Reply 14
Controversial topic if ever there was one
Tell me why, because I'm not white?
Original post by hehwhat

Your nationality defines everything, from your language, where you grow up, your access to healthcare services, education, who you grow up with, how the world perceives you, how much money you earn, whether you can vote and who for...

Only someone at the height of privilege could hold such naive views. Try holding a Syrian passport and then see how "significant" it is.
Tell me why, because I'm not white?

It should be pretty obvious to you why I would not consider you ethnically English.
Original post by navarre
Your nationality defines everything, from your language, where you grow up, your access to healthcare services, education, who you grow up with, how the world perceives you, how much money you earn, whether you can vote and who for...

Only someone at the height of privilege could hold such naive views. Try holding a Syrian passport and then see how "significant" it is.

That's true I suppose.
See no one can answer this fundamental question, be a man and answer it. I'll give the same earlier example that was skipped around.

Let's say your great, great grandfather and grandmother came to England from Portugal and then later down the chain you were born.. Would your ethnicity be English?

PS they are white
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest