The Student Room Group

Would you ever marry a female surgeon? (I'm south asian)

Everyone at med school thinks brown girls want to be housewives but I dont. I want to have a successful surgical career and also a husband and 2 children.
Do south asian men find this unattractive?
I get the feeling they want someone to cook and clean. I keep rejecting south Asian guys that I like back because I know it's better for them to go for a housewife cos even if we are in love they wont be happy deep down.
Is it a turn off for asian men and men in general? Im religious too so would prefer to end up with a religious man but feel they are more likely to prefer a woman who is at home a lot.
I am very kind and passionate. Very smart and talented, would make a great surgeon and friend! If I dont pursue my dreams I am not reaching my potential. I know i could be top in my chosen field and I'm already showing it. I dont want a "normal" life. What do u think?

Scroll to see replies

What a terrible stereotype:confused:

Of course there'll be men that want to marry a female surgeon?
Reply 2
Original post by Aaryra
What a terrible stereotype:confused:

Of course there'll be men that want to marry a female surgeon?

Sorry didnt mean to stereotype, I hate stereotypes. My experience has not been good thats all! Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry didnt mean to stereotype, I hate stereotypes. My experience has not been good thats all! Thanks

No no not you, people saying that brown girls should be housewives and stuff!
Everyone at med school thinks brown girls want to be housewives but I dont. I want to have a successful surgical career and also a husband and 2 children.
Do south asian men find this unattractive?
I get the feeling they want someone to cook and clean. I keep rejecting south Asian guys that I like back because I know it's better for them to go for a housewife cos even if we are in love they wont be happy deep down.
Is it a turn off for asian men and men in general? Im religious too so would prefer to end up with a religious man but feel they are more likely to prefer a woman who is at home a lot.
I am very kind and passionate. Very smart and talented, would make a great surgeon and friend! If I dont pursue my dreams I am not reaching my potential. I know i could be top in my chosen field and I'm already showing it. I dont want a "normal" life. What do u think?

I am a south asian male and I can tell you confidently, i would absolutely love it if my wife worked in any successful career. It has so many benefits to it, and absolutely no downsides whatsoever imo.
Yeah I know, I dont mind helping at home but rather kill myself than do that 24/7. Brown guys often are spoonfed and want a motherly female to wife. My own brown male friends agree and it is a thing unfortunately frequently! Female asians tend to be a lot more independent and life skilled so seen as carers lol

I definitely agree. Brown guys act as if wives replace their mums, but I do think younger ones agree that we have a right to a career and stuff. I hope the trend continues!
I am a south asian male and I can tell you confidently, i would absolutely love it if my wife worked in any successful career. It has so many benefits to it, and absolutely no downsides whatsoever imo.

You two found each other:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Aaryra
You two found each other:biggrin::biggrin:

I'm far too young xD
Ik this is completely irrelevant but what speciality are you thinking of working in? Are you in med school?
Reply 9

Thanks for this😭 just tired of hearing from my own male friends that I wont get married if pursue surgery. My parents are happy and proud of me but worried that obv in laws will hate it blah blah blah. I just love what I do and for the right reasons but have anxiety from hearing this. I wish more men gave women the confidence to pursue their dreams because I could be the best
I'm not South Asian but It is definitely more attractive if a female wants a successful career especially as a surgeon
Thanks for this😭 just tired of hearing from my own male friends that I wont get married if pursue surgery. My parents are happy and proud of me but worried that obv in laws will hate it blah blah blah. I just love what I do and for the right reasons but have anxiety from hearing this. I wish more men gave women the confidence to pursue their dreams because I could be the best

I want to be a surgeon too (I’m female) and even though my parents would be proud I’m always thinking how is it even going to happen? Ik that sounds stupid but how and where are the guys supposed to come from 😂
Yes I would. Would be nice not being expected to be the only person to earn money for the household.
Ik this is completely irrelevant but what speciality are you thinking of working in? Are you in med school?

I'm starting 5th yr intercalating. Yorkshire med school!
I want to be a surgeon too (I’m female) and even though my parents would be proud I’m always thinking how is it even going to happen? Ik that sounds stupid but how and where are the guys supposed to come from 😂

Which speciality?? I'm the only brown girl in my wanting to do surgery who is relatively normal, shy, religious blah blah blah. The others dont want kids and are very masculine lol
I'm starting 5th yr intercalating. Yorkshire med school!

Ooo all the best with 5th year! Xxx what are you intercalating in, if you don’t mind me asking?

Sorryy forgot to say I want to do ent. Maybe skull base or head and neck oncology. Liked plastics but religiously goes against what I believe.
Original post by ElNiñoo
I'm not South Asian but It is definitely more attractive if a female wants a successful career especially as a surgeon

Thanks! Hopefully head and neck surgeon coming up and hopefully not single forever!😭😂 that is really encouraging to hear.
Which speciality?? I'm the only brown girl in my wanting to do surgery who is relatively normal, shy, religious blah blah blah. The others dont want kids and are very masculine lol

Neurosurgery atm :smile:
Sorryy forgot to say I want to do ent. Maybe skull base or head and neck oncology. Liked plastics but religiously goes against what I believe.

Oo ent! I’ve heard that ent has a good work life balance compared to all the other surgical specialities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending