The Student Room Group

ABB at A- Level, what’s next ? Remark? Uni?

Hi TSRians 😁,

I was hoping for straight A’s, I wanted to keep my options open as I am contemplating BA spanish with management in Sept 2020 BUT I am still undecided... that’s an understatement I am clueless right now...

Most prestigious uni’s do want straight A’s + higher - do you think I should try applying anyway ( BA business: Royal Holloway, Kent, Lancaster, imperial etc.)

So many questions!!

1. I was 6 marks from an A* in sociology (AQA) and 10 marks off a A in business, worth a remark?? My college may be willing to pay.

But, what are your views on degree apprenticeships, if I don’t go to uni after my gap year it is definitely something I would consider.

Thanks in advance for your help, all responses are appreciated.
I'm in the same boat, I got ABB. The B's were both 2 marks off the A's. I've got my place at uni though, so I would recommend emailing the universities the likelihood of you being accepted (contact with the universities is always helpful) and I'd recommend talking to your exams officer at college regarding the likelihood of your grades going up as the marks may seem close to us, but over the different papers etc they may not be as close as they seem.

I can't comment on degree apprenticeships as I have no idea about them at all, but don't just go to uni because it's expected if there's a better option is all I can comment.

Good luck!
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi TSRians 😁,

I was hoping for straight A’s, I wanted to keep my options open as I am contemplating BA spanish with management in Sept 2020 BUT I am still undecided... that’s an understatement I am clueless right now...

Most prestigious uni’s do want straight A’s + higher - do you think I should try applying anyway ( BA business: Royal Holloway, Kent, Lancaster, imperial etc.)

So many questions!!

1. I was 6 marks from an A* in sociology (AQA) and 10 marks off a A in business, worth a remark?? My college may be willing to pay.

But, what are your views on degree apprenticeships, if I don’t go to uni after my gap year it is definitely something I would consider.

ABB will get you into many universities. If you were going this year you would likely get in through clearing. You could resit to im-prove your grades if you are not going until next year.
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi TSRians 😁,

So many questions!!

Hello RXMXXKX

I would like to point you towards some information regarding Higher and Degree Apprenticeships. We have a page on TSR called ‘Apprenticeship Zone’ that would be worth having a look as we cover a lot of questions regarding higher and degree apprenticeships.

Please also feel free to message us if you have any specific question on degree apprenticeships. We would advise you to research apprenticeships before making your decision to ensure you have the upmost information on both career paths available.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/apprenticeships/

Best of luck
Paul
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi TSRians 😁,

So many questions!!

I cannot comment about whether it's worth you getting remarks, (or apprenticeships) but as you don't need them urgently since you are taking a year out anyway, so I would wait to talk to your college about that option. 10 marks seems a long way off for the Business A level, though - make sure you are not in danger of going down a grade if you lost a few marks.

Going forward, having ABB as achieved grades will get you a lot of interest from good unis. My son applied with ABB and got offers from Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton and Leeds. Yes, that was for a different subject (History) but the stated requirements at these unis was still higher than they knew he had achieved - AAB in most cases.
Reply 5
Original post by bluebookworm
I'm in the same boat, I got ABB. The B's were both 2 marks off the A's. I've got my place at uni though, so I would recommend emailing the universities the likelihood of you being accepted (contact with the universities is always helpful) and I'd recommend talking to your exams officer at college regarding the likelihood of your grades going up as the marks may seem close to us, but over the different papers etc they may not be as close as they seem.

I can't comment on degree apprenticeships as I have no idea about them at all, but don't just go to uni because it's expected if there's a better option is all I can comment.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will definitely speak to my teachers and exam officer.
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi TSRians 😁,

So many questions!!

Hey there!
Congratulations on your A-level results :biggrin: If you're still interested in studying at Kent then it could be worth checking out if they still have places on your chosen course in Clearing. Here is the link to their clearing website :smile: Also try phoning up too as this can help you to find out if they will accept you sooner as well. All their contact info will be on the clearing website link I attached above. Good luck with everything!
Reply 7
Hi, thanks! I wish I could but I didn’t actually apply for university this year... at the time of UCAS applications I was so unsure of what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go and my predicted grades were BBC
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hey there!
Congratulations on your A-level results :biggrin: If you're still interested in studying at Kent then it could be worth checking out if they still have places on your chosen course in Clearing. Here is the link to their clearing website :smile: Also try phoning up too as this can help you to find out if they will accept you sooner as well. All their contact info will be on the clearing website link I attached above. Good luck with everything!
“In addition, those who haven't yet applied to any universities can apply through Clearing once they have their results. However, you will need to have completed a UCAS application in order to use Clearing. If you haven't yet applied, apply online now via UCAS Apply.”
Thecompleteuniversityguide
Reply 9
If I’m being completely honest, I could bare to have to redo 2years of A-levels again it took all the energy out of me 😁 Any gap year ideas that could boost my personal statement despite not meeting entry requirements😫
Original post by swanseajack1
ABB will get you into many universities. If you were going this year you would likely get in through clearing. You could resit to im-prove your grades if you are not going until next year.
Reply 10
Wow I didn’t know that was possible, but I feel it’s too late now :frown: All the nice accommodation is probably gone.

Thanks
Original post by PickingItUp
“In addition, those who haven't yet applied to any universities can apply through Clearing once they have their results. However, you will need to have completed a UCAS application in order to use Clearing. If you haven't yet applied, apply online now via UCAS Apply.”
Thecompleteuniversityguide
Reply 11
Thanks for your reply! All hope is not lost I guess!
Original post by harrysbar
I cannot comment about whether it's worth you getting remarks, (or apprenticeships) but as you don't need them urgently since you are taking a year out anyway, so I would wait to talk to your college about that option. 10 marks seems a long way off for the Business A level, though - make sure you are not in danger of going down a grade if you lost a few marks.

Going forward, having ABB as achieved grades will get you a lot of interest from good unis. My son applied with ABB and got offers from Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton and Leeds. Yes, that was for a different subject (History) but the stated requirements at these unis was still higher than they knew he had achieved - AAB in most cases.
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi, thanks! I wish I could but I didn’t actually apply for university this year... at the time of UCAS applications I was so unsure of what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go and my predicted grades were BBC

You should give Kent Admissions a call if you do wish you had applied there for this year and still want to go. I have heard of people getting in without having completed a UCAS form in Clearing, or only having to complete a basic version of the form
Original post by RXMXXKX
Wow I didn’t know that was possible, but I feel it’s too late now :frown: All the nice accommodation is probably gone.

I think it’s worth a try and see what happens! :u: Try calling.
Reply 14
Original post by PickingItUp
I think it’s worth a try and see what happens! :u: Try calling.

Original post by harrysbar
You should give Kent Admissions a call if you do wish you had applied there for this year and still want to go. I have heard of people getting in without having completed a UCAS form in Clearing, or only having to complete a basic version of the form

I think Kent is a bit too far for me Haha

I want to be able to get home in 2hrs if things go pear shaped lool
Where do you live to give us some idea what is within 2 hours to see if we could make suggestions
Reply 16
I live west of London, that’s why UCL would have been perfect if I had got straight A’s.

Thanks everyone for your help, I’ve never felt this disorganised/confused in my life!
If you live west of London have you considered Royal Holloway or Reading. Cardiff would also be within 2 hours and is on a direct train from Paddington. Swansea is a bit further but again on a direct route.
Reply 18
Original post by swanseajack1
If you live west of London have you considered Royal Holloway or Reading. Cardiff would also be within 2 hours and is on a direct train from Paddington. Swansea is a bit further but again on a direct route.

Thank you! I’ve looked at royal Holloway (AAA) I will definitely look into the others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending