The Student Room Group

Scared I’m not good enough

I’ve been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years but still doubt whether he loves me or not. He tells me he loves me all the time and always tries to do things to make me happy and smile, he tells me I’m gorgeous and will literally call me beautiful and princess all the time. He is so so kind to me and he doesn’t do anything to make me think he doesn’t love me but I’ve always had a voice in the back of my head that’s made me doubt whether he’s being genuine or if he just feels sorry for me or whether he’s just with me coz he doesn’t know how to break up with me. Like there is so many things like this that I think about and it’s constant. I’m not a thin, pretty, gorgeous girl and I don’t know what he sees in me to make me stay but he has so far. I don’t know whether I’m irrational or if that voice is there for a reason telling me I’m not good enough. He has helped a lot with my confidence yet I’m still unable to show him all of my body as I’m ashamed of myself and know I’m ugly and everything. I’m scared he’s going to realise he has made a mistake soon enough and that he’s going to leave me especially when we both go to different uni’s. I just want to feel gorgeous and pretty for him but Ik that’s because of my own issues and not to do with him. I just don’t know whether to stay weary of his words or whether to fully open my heart to him coz I’m scared of being hurt like everyone else. It’s hard being in a relationship when u don’t feel happy in ur own skin so you can’t give all of urself to someone else.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years but still doubt whether he loves me or not. He tells me he loves me all the time and always tries to do things to make me happy and smile, he tells me I’m gorgeous and will literally call me beautiful and princess all the time. He is so so kind to me and he doesn’t do anything to make me think he doesn’t love me but I’ve always had a voice in the back of my head that’s made me doubt whether he’s being genuine or if he just feels sorry for me or whether he’s just with me coz he doesn’t know how to break up with me. Like there is so many things like this that I think about and it’s constant. I’m not a thin, pretty, gorgeous girl and I don’t know what he sees in me to make me stay but he has so far. I don’t know whether I’m irrational or if that voice is there for a reason telling me I’m not good enough. He has helped a lot with my confidence yet I’m still unable to show him all of my body as I’m ashamed of myself and know I’m ugly and everything. I’m scared he’s going to realise he has made a mistake soon enough and that he’s going to leave me especially when we both go to different uni’s. I just want to feel gorgeous and pretty for him but Ik that’s because of my own issues and not to do with him. I just don’t know whether to stay weary of his words or whether to fully open my heart to him coz I’m scared of being hurt like everyone else. It’s hard being in a relationship when u don’t feel happy in ur own skin so you can’t give all of urself to someone else.

You have to get help to raise yourself esteem. Stop comparing yourself to other people. Your bf sounds great. He clearly likes you for being you. That's the point. He clearly likes your body even if you don't. Being open is risky but can bring you great rewards. You may have to take a chance and be open.
Reply 2
Original post by mgi
You have to get help to raise yourself esteem. Stop comparing yourself to other people. Your bf sounds great. He clearly likes you for being you. That's the point. He clearly likes your body even if you don't. Being open is risky but can bring you great rewards. You may have to take a chance and be open.

Thank you, I’d love to be able to just be open and ask for help and everything but I’m too embarrassed. Ik it sounds silly but I get massive flushed of anxiety, stress and worry whenever I think about talking to people about these things or even thinking about what my boyfriend really thinks about me deep down. Ik it’s my problem it’s just hard to come to terms with and hard to try and get over I guess. Thank you for your advice, it’s really appreciated
Reply 3
Thank you, I’d love to be able to just be open and ask for help and everything but I’m too embarrassed. Ik it sounds silly but I get massive flushed of anxiety, stress and worry whenever I think about talking to people about these things or even thinking about what my boyfriend really thinks about me deep down. Ik it’s my problem it’s just hard to come to terms with and hard to try and get over I guess. Thank you for your advice, it’s really appreciated

You are welcome. You could start raking baby steps to be open with your bf. Leave other people's opinions aside for a while and talk with your bf. Gor example, when he compliments you or does something nice for you then you can say thank you. Then admit that you struggle with being given compliments but you are working on it!
Chin up girl! ♥️
These are your own fears, look them in the eye & tell em’ girl bye. I understand how you feel -I attended a family wedding today & you compare yourself to others -why aren’t I pretty like her, why aren’t I interested in what they’re in etc. From an outside perspective it sounds miniature but to you inside it can eat you up alive.
I would honestly tell you I think he really does love you, he’s making such an effort constantly. Open up to him -a relationship is about 2 souls binding together. So allow that to happen, you can connect on a deeper level. But don’t fully open up/never trust anyone too much. I know maybe that’s not the right advice but from personal experience I’ve learnt don’t give your heart fully to someone-not unless there’s a strong commitment of something long term (IMO).
At the end of the day, I know I don’t know you, but I want you to be happy. You are beautiful, you are strong, you are enough. For yourself, your boyfriend, your life.
Sending you so much love. Be happy always ♥️♥️
Reply 5
Chin up girl! ♥️
These are your own fears, look them in the eye & tell em’ girl bye. I understand how you feel -I attended a family wedding today & you compare yourself to others -why aren’t I pretty like her, why aren’t I interested in what they’re in etc. From an outside perspective it sounds miniature but to you inside it can eat you up alive.
I would honestly tell you I think he really does love you, he’s making such an effort constantly. Open up to him -a relationship is about 2 souls binding together. So allow that to happen, you can connect on a deeper level. But don’t fully open up/never trust anyone too much. I know maybe that’s not the right advice but from personal experience I’ve learnt don’t give your heart fully to someone-not unless there’s a strong commitment of something long term (IMO).
At the end of the day, I know I don’t know you, but I want you to be happy. You are beautiful, you are strong, you are enough. For yourself, your boyfriend, your life.

Wow thank you so so much that means a lot. Like that’s so nice, need more people like u in the world who spread love and support :smile: thank u
Wow thank you so so much that means a lot. Like that’s so nice, need more people like u in the world who spread love and support :smile: thank u

No problem ♥️♥️
Reply 7
Jesus Christ what did I just read? Imo he definitely made a mistake and he'll leave you soon enough.
If he thought you weren't good enough he'd have left you already. Don't assume your own insecurities are also his thoughts - they aren't.

Original post by jay2013
Jesus Christ what did I just read? Imo he definitely made a mistake and he'll leave you soon enough.

Put the special brew down, jay.
Reply 9
Chin up girl! ♥️

Good points. And that is why if aperson wants a longterm committed relationship then they have to be clear about their rules and boundaries at the start of the dating process otherwise they can waste a lot of time with the wrong person. And they have to be prepared to work on their insecurities

if you're asking on the internet then you aint it chief
Reply 11
Original post by heartbreaker666
if you're asking on the internet then you aint it chief

What do you mean? Perhaps she is seeking some ideas and thoughts. Where do you go to get help with your problems? Perhaps you could say and that could be better than saying " you aint it chief" which sounds so cold.
I ask...let's see REAL PEOPLE. It doesn't sound cold. It is COLD. "Perhaps you could say"... say what? At least finish that sentence
Reply 13
I ask...let's see REAL PEOPLE. It doesn't sound cold. It is COLD. "Perhaps you could say"... say what? At least finish that sentence

It sounded to me like an attack on a person who is struggling with some problems.
Bro what are you the savior of this chat? An attack? Aha that's funny
Reply 15
Bro what are you the savior of this chat? An attack? Aha that's funny

oh ok. You are one of those negative attacking people looking for a "fight". I hope the OP ignores your ignorance and your bullying argumentative tone. I will not respond further to any of your stupidity on this topic. Bye.
@mgi thank you, don’t worry it’s fine. Not everyone tries to be sensitive and understanding to other people :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending