The Student Room Group

Fully qualified actuary - ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by actuary123
I have recently received offers for Actuarial graduate schemes, how easy did you find it to relocate to Asia? I think I am likely to take up a GI reserving role with a UK based insurer (they don't have any international offices), did your company relocate you or did you apply for the position directly?

Hi,

Sorry for the very slow reply. I moved to Hong Kong, which is very much a fusion of cultures. Most people speak English here and so I have found it relatively easy to adapt. My wife is also originally from Hong Kong, so that is a big help. Personally I applied for the position directly, having reached out to a few recruitment agencies. Depending on which country in Asia you would like to move to, you may consider moving to another UK insurer with international offices before then applying for a secondment in Asia. Most large insurers encourage these kinds of secondments. Taking Hong Kong as an example, the largest insurers here are AIA, Prudential, AXA, HSBC, Manulife.
Original post by Moonp1g
Hi everyone,

I've followed threads on this forum on and off for a few years and I've found the odd nugget of wisdom that has helped me along my chosen career path.

I thought it may be a good idea to give something back to those who are just starting out. If you have any questions relating to the actuarial industry, I'm happy to try to answer them.

As a bit of background, I graduated from a red brick university 6 years ago and was accepted onto a graduate scheme working for a large life insurer just outside of London. I qualified within 3 years and worked my way into management before venturing off to Asia (partly for work reasons, partly personal).

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Hi Moonp1g,

I am very interested in becoming an actuary and was wandering whether you could give me any guidance on the best possible career route that I should take based on my experience and qualifications.

A few years ago I completed my A Levels with an A in Maths and a B in Further Maths after this I decided that I didn't want to go to University and instead I got an apprenticeship with a fairly large Accountancy firm. During this time I acheived the AAT qualification and gained two years of experience in the industry. I have now left my job as I feel that the role did not meet my initial expectations and I now look to progress in a career where I can apply more technical analytical skills by using concepts from Mathematics and Statistics. Based on this information do you think I could apply for jobs where I would be able to start preparing for the associate/fellowship exams? or do you think that I should try and apply for CAA apprenticeships? from the research I have done it appears that there are not too many firms which offer the CAA qualification, making it very hard to find jobs in the first place. If I cannot get a job this way do you think I should go to University and obtain a Maths related degree first and then apply for jobs once I have completed my degree?

Thank you for offering your advice and expertise. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Is there a lot of stats involved in being an actuary and should this industry be definitely ruled out of if you aren't to keen on stats. I am proficient in it but i don't enjoy it much. Also what type of stats is usually involved? Thanks a lot of taking the time out to answer these questions.
Original post by Moonp1g
Hi everyone,

I've followed threads on this forum on and off for a few years and I've found the odd nugget of wisdom that has helped me along my chosen career path.

I thought it may be a good idea to give something back to those who are just starting out. If you have any questions relating to the actuarial industry, I'm happy to try to answer them.

As a bit of background, I graduated from a red brick university 6 years ago and was accepted onto a graduate scheme working for a large life insurer just outside of London. I qualified within 3 years and worked my way into management before venturing off to Asia (partly for work reasons, partly personal).

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.
Hi, I recently graduated with a first class chemistry degree, however I don't have any a levels. Im 26 and was wondering what the best route in (in your opinion) would be.
Original post by cookeash123
Hi, I recently graduated with a first class chemistry degree, however I don't have any a levels. Im 26 and was wondering what the best route in (in your opinion) would be.

What uni did you go to
Hello there,I need to know one thing, is it possible to get a job in UK if I passed 3-4 subject from Institute and Faculty of Actuary? I am not an UK citizen and holding a Bangladeshi Passport and I am 34 now.
Original post by Humayun85
Hello there,I need to know one thing, is it possible to get a job in UK if I passed 3-4 subject from Institute and Faculty of Actuary? I am not an UK citizen and holding a Bangladeshi Passport and I am 34 now.

It would be highly unlikely for you to get a job in the UK with only that many examinations completed. There is an oversupply of actuarial graduates or numerical degree holders who have completed some work within insurance. Most jobs have dozens of candidates of which a majority have experience working in the London market and so it would be unlikely that they would need to recruit from half the world over.

There are quite a number of actuaries from India, but that's usually due to insurance companies holding offices in Mumbai and they rotate over. I have not witnessed this for people in Bangladesh.

Qualifying would increase your chances.
Original post by ParagonProxy
It would be highly unlikely for you to get a job in the UK with only that many examinations completed. There is an oversupply of actuarial graduates or numerical degree holders who have completed some work within insurance. Most jobs have dozens of candidates of which a majority have experience working in the London market and so it would be unlikely that they would need to recruit from half the world over.

There are quite a number of actuaries from India, but that's usually due to insurance companies holding offices in Mumbai and they rotate over. I have not witnessed this for people in Bangladesh.

Qualifying would increase your chances.

Thank you very much. please help me again providing one more answer about probability to get a job in UK, if I completed ACCA from UK.

Thank you again for your valuable comment.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Humayun85
Thank you very much. please help me again providing one more answer about probability to get a job in UK, if I completed ACCA from UK.

Thank you again for your valuable comment.

An ACCA qualification would not hurt your chances, but it requires an inordinate amount of effort to complete for the marginal returns it would provide an actuarial analyst. It would definitely be a boost for reporting and capital modelling positions as most companies are continually responding towards regulatory changes.
Are A-levels really important in the application process because I retook mine to achieve good grades for uni, just finished first year maths bsc at kings.
Original post by crispicash
Are A-levels really important in the application process because I retook mine to achieve good grades for uni, just finished first year maths bsc at kings.

Only a B grade in A-levels are required although most companies would prefer to see an A.

Having a BSc in Mathematics would be more than sufficient.
Original post by ParagonProxy
Only a B grade in A-levels are required although most companies would prefer to see an A.

Having a BSc in Mathematics would be more than sufficient.

I meant to say does retaking A-levels put you at a disadvantage through the application process.
Original post by crispicash
I meant to say does retaking A-levels put you at a disadvantage through the application process.

It should not matter as a BSc in Mathematics is so overwhelmingly more difficult and in depth than that of an A-level. Even if you didn't do a BSc in Mathematics they would likely not care.

The only company that I have seen been quite picky about your A-levels not being retakes is Deloitte,-- but then again they only have valuations and a small GI pricing team so you wouldn't be missing out on much.
Reply 73
hey i got ABC, A in econ B maths C chemistry and got the offer to study economics and finance at southampton should i just retake maths and chemistry or should i go into uni if i want to be an actuary.
don't know if this thread is still active, But i have a first class chemistry degree with no a levels.. do you think i need to go back and get my maths a level?
Original post by cookeash123
don't know if this thread is still active, But i have a first class chemistry degree with no a levels.. do you think i need to go back and get my maths a level?

I would think so, since most companies want you to have a 2:1 or above in any numerate subjects or economics/business etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending