The Student Room Group

Module Selections..

I'm in the middle of choosing my modules for first year, and was looking for people's thoughts on giving up an optional course related module in place of a modern language module?

Has anyone done it previously, and how did they find it? Or know anyone who has done it?
Original post by OmnomnOmnigul
I'm in the middle of choosing my modules for first year, and was looking for people's thoughts on giving up an optional course related module in place of a modern language module?

Has anyone done it previously, and how did they find it? Or know anyone who has done it?

What university is this?

I added a modern language to my Egyptology degree in place of an optional module. Best decision I've ever made.
Original post by Edminzodo
What university is this?

I added a modern language to my Egyptology degree in place of an optional module. Best decision I've ever made.

The University is Durham.

Did you find that doing the modern language module negatively impacted your Egyptology work?
The University is Durham.

Did you find that doing the modern language module negatively impacted your Egyptology work?

It didn't impact it negatively, although because they were housed in different departments, it sometimes meant that I had clashing deadlines as they didn't co-ordinate. I just had to plan ahead, although one time I was granted an extension on the basis of a bad clash (oral exam, translation piece and history essay within 24 hours of each other). I found it was a nice way to 'escape' from one subject if I was getting sick of it, but I also know that others found balancing 2 subjects hard if they were unrelated. So it's totally up to you. I know people who have done, say, Classics and a modern language, and have a friend doing Ancient History and modern languages, so it's perfectly possible, if you think you can cope.

May I ask what combination you are thinking of?
Original post by Edminzodo
It didn't impact it negatively, although because they were housed in different departments, it sometimes meant that I had clashing deadlines as they didn't co-ordinate. I just had to plan ahead, although one time I was granted an extension on the basis of a bad clash (oral exam, translation piece and history essay within 24 hours of each other). I found it was a nice way to 'escape' from one subject if I was getting sick of it, but I also know that others found balancing 2 subjects hard if they were unrelated. So it's totally up to you. I know people who have done, say, Classics and a modern language, and have a friend doing Ancient History and modern languages, so it's perfectly possible, if you think you can cope.

May I ask what combination you are thinking of?

I'm doing a BA in Archaeology. I was thinking of dropping an optional Archaeology module in exchange for French.

I see the benefit in taking a language, but I also see the benefit in sticking to my course. And I'm concerned that trying to juggle a language module alongside my other modules may be detrimental to my Archaeology work.
I'm doing a BA in Archaeology. I was thinking of dropping an optional Archaeology module in exchange for French.

I see the benefit in taking a language, but I also see the benefit in sticking to my course. And I'm concerned that trying to juggle a language module alongside my other modules may be detrimental to my Archaeology work.

At my university, we had the option to drop the language at the end of Y1, which some people did. Maybe see if this is an option for you? Personally I think it's only too your benefit to do something different, but if you can't bear not doing all Archaeology modules then do those. However, from experience, I'd definitely recommend at least trying something different. Plenty of people balance two subjects with the amount of joint honours courses available these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending