The Student Room Group

4 A-Levels for Cambridge Mathematics?

I have already done my AS year and I am going to start my A2 year soon. My three subjects are maths, further maths, and physics. I have already finished my maths and I got A star. Since I have already finished one subject, I am thinking of starting a new whole subject - the fourth subject. I would love to do another subject, but I am worried that it might become too much work as I will have to study my STEP. Without studying, I took AEA and STEP1 a few months ago and I only got a merit and a grade 2. So I have a long way to go to get better grades in STEP2 or 3.

I am an international student and I have heard lots of rumors about more selective giving of offers from Oxbridge to international students. So I am constantly bothered with a feeling that I should do another A Level to higher my chances.

If you think I should do another A Level, could you recommend which A Level subject I should take?
Reply 1
Honestly, for maths, it won't matter at all. They really do only care about mathematical ability.

Because Chemistry A-Level (which would perhaps be assumed is closest to maths after physics) is so silly/easy/wrong (grumpy chemistry graduate here), it will not be viewed any more favourably than a subject like English Literature, History, Biology, Geography, French, Greek, etc. My advice would be just do whatever 4th subject interests you the most. Although if you are stereo-typically "mathematically brained" then probably Chemistry would be the easiest since it does involve really easy maths which is free marks (the rest is just memorising patterns and understanding some fairly basic principles of chemistry).

I took AEA and STEP1 a few months ago and I only got a merit and a grade 2.

for someone in year 12, this is a good level already. Don't feel disheartened. Most students do not bother at all with STEP or AEA in year 12. The natural progression from practice will bring this up.
Original post by mathscompsci
I have already done my AS year and I am going to start my A2 year soon. My three subjects are maths, further maths, and physics. I have already finished my maths and I got A star. Since I have already finished one subject, I am thinking of starting a new whole subject - the fourth subject. I would love to do another subject, but I am worried that it might become too much work as I will have to study my STEP. Without studying, I took AEA and STEP1 a few months ago and I only got a merit and a grade 2. So I have a long way to go to get better grades in STEP2 or 3.

I am an international student and I have heard lots of rumors about more selective giving of offers from Oxbridge to international students. So I am constantly bothered with a feeling that I should do another A Level to higher my chances.

If you think I should do another A Level, could you recommend which A Level subject I should take?

I don't think another subject at A Level is necessary tbh. Possibly looking at additional further maths even and hoping you don't go crazy with all the maths you have to do. The offer isn't really the hard part about getting in for Cambridge maths, it's the STEP requirement, so really focus on improving your STEP score.
But you're only really doing 1 1/2 subjects in your a level year with physics and further maths if you ve already taken maths? That looks a light workload. Most people doing maths ar Cambridge will be doing 4. What about computer science that seems a popular one with maths types.
Original post by RedHelenB
But you're only really doing 1 1/2 subjects in your a level year with physics and further maths if you ve already taken maths? That looks a light workload. Most people doing maths ar Cambridge will be doing 4. What about computer science that seems a popular one with maths types.

What do you major in?
Do you major in computer science in Cambridge?
I think computer science is wonderful!
Original post by RedHelenB

Yeah. Most people doing 4 at Cambridge quite worries me. I would love to do computer science. But, my school doesn't provide courses for computer science. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Original post by R T
Honestly, for maths, it won't matter at all. They really do only care about mathematical ability.

Because Chemistry A-Level (which would perhaps be assumed is closest to maths after physics) is so silly/easy/wrong (grumpy chemistry graduate here), it will not be viewed any more favourably than a subject like English Literature, History, Biology, Geography, French, Greek, etc. My advice would be just do whatever 4th subject interests you the most. Although if you are stereo-typically "mathematically brained" then probably Chemistry would be the easiest since it does involve really easy maths which is free marks (the rest is just memorising patterns and understanding some fairly basic principles of chemistry).

for someone in year 12, this is a good level already. Don't feel disheartened. Most students do not bother at all with STEP or AEA in year 12. The natural progression from practice will bring this up.

I really hope that my STEP scores will improve if I study. To be honest, STEP2 and 3 seem extremely difficult. I'm going to write down my grades of AEA and STEP1 in UCAS. But, will grade 2 in STEP1 and merit in AEA look bad to Cambridge? I saw in one of the posts that Cambridge regards a grade 2 and a merit to be awful. Will Cambridge see these grades to be low even for year 12 student?
Original post by alevelphysicist
I don't think another subject at A Level is necessary tbh. Possibly looking at additional further maths even and hoping you don't go crazy with all the maths you have to do. The offer isn't really the hard part about getting in for Cambridge maths, it's the STEP requirement, so really focus on improving your STEP score.

Yes. I really should. I'm thinking of taking extra M3 and S3 right now. Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending