The Student Room Group

UWS Midwifery Applicants 2020

Hi everyone,

Anyone applying to UWS for midwifery starting in 2020? This will be my third time applying. First time in 2015 when I was unsuccessful but then offered a place from reserve list which I unfortunately couldn’t accept, second time last year and I was offered an interview but then found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child so had to withdraw my application and so I will now be reapplying for 2020 intake! Really hoping it will be third time lucky for me. Best of luck to anyone else applying x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m applying for 2020 too. Was lucky to get an interview this year having been out of education for a while so hopefully next knowing what to expect in the interview. Also doing an evening course at Glasgow Clyde college this year too.
Reply 2
Best of luck to you!! How did you find the interview process? The last time I interviewed it was 1 to 1 so I’m a bit worried about the idea of a group interview. What course are you doing at college? I have been out of education for 9 years since I graduated from uni so you are not alone on that one :smile: x
Reply 3
I found it quite intense. It’s hard to get your passion across. You get 5 mins to discuss a picture and then there is a 10 minute group discussion. I’m gonna be doing a PDA in developing professional practice in health and social care for maternity support and also volunteering with home start and my local hospital. X
Reply 4
Oh really? That scares me even more then lol! I was hoping you were going to say it’s not too bad... sounds like u have fab experience under ur belt 😊 how did u organise volunteering at your local hospital? Is it on a maternity ward? I am a breastfeeding peer supporter so I volunteer on postnatal wards helping new mums with feeding and at baby cafes x
Reply 5
I emailed the recruitment head as the website wasn’t working and they just emailed me a form to fill in and send back I got the information just from the nhs website. You can ask to be only on the maternity floor but being anywhere in the hospital is good experience. Aw that’s great experience I was gonna do the breastfeeding support but they don’t take any more volunteers until jan next year so won’t be able to put it on my personal statement. Xx
Reply 6
Oh that’s fab 😊 sounds great. What hospital is it if you don’t mind me asking? X
Reply 7
Wishaw. I’m doing trying with home start at the end of August. It’s not so much as midwifery experience but it’s helping families with young children only a couple hours a week. I’m looking forward to it. Were you at the open day or the midwifery workshop at uws last year?
Reply 8
I’m hoping to apply next year too!
Reply 9
Sounds great 😊 even though it’s not completely related to midwifery, there will be so many transferable skills u can talk about. I organised to volunteer as a maternity meet and greet at wishaw hospital last year but after they organised my PVG etc I kept trying to get in touch with them about a start date and no one ever got back to me 👎🏼 Yeh I went to the open day and workshop last year and loved it! I’m going to the open day again this year incase they take names for another workshop or anything as I don’t want to miss it. Will you be going this year? Hey jjw! Best of luck with ur application 😊 will this be your first time applying? X
Reply 10
Original post by Terri1990
Sounds great 😊 even though it’s not completely related to midwifery, there will be so many transferable skills u can talk about. I organised to volunteer as a maternity meet and greet at wishaw hospital last year but after they organised my PVG etc I kept trying to get in touch with them about a start date and no one ever got back to me 👎🏼 Yeh I went to the open day and workshop last year and loved it! I’m going to the open day again this year incase they take names for another workshop or anything as I don’t want to miss it. Will you be going this year? Hey jjw! Best of luck with ur application 😊 will this be your first time applying? X

Thanks Terri! I was on the reserves for this year but unfortunately it’s not looking like they’re using them so it’ll be another application next year for me!
Reply 11
Aw that would of been a great experience if they got back to you about it. I’m gonna go again as well. I thought the open day was really well organised and could try different things and get a good look around and the workshop was really good too. Think I will be a lot calmer this time if I get an interview I was so nervous last time. I filled everything in my UCAS in so far except my personal statement 😂 have you had you baby yet Terri1990?
Reply 12
Original post by jjw89
Thanks Terri! I was on the reserves for this year but unfortunately it’s not looking like they’re using them so it’ll be another application next year for me!

I seen on the chat for this years intake a lot saying they weren’t gonna be using the reserve list which is such a shame for everyone who’s worked so hard. Hopefully next year is the year for you xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Yeh defo now that you have a better idea what’s expected in interview I imagine you would feel much more prepared! I will no doubt be a nervous wreck if I get an interview lol! Oh fab maybe see you at the open day then 😊 yes my baby boy is now 7 and a half weeks old 😊 I also have a girl who is 5 and another boy who is almost 2 x
Reply 14
Original post by Terri1990
Hi everyone,

Anyone applying to UWS for midwifery starting in 2020? This will be my third time applying. First time in 2015 when I was unsuccessful but then offered a place from reserve list which I unfortunately couldn’t accept, second time last year and I was offered an interview but then found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child so had to withdraw my application and so I will now be reapplying for 2020 intake! Really hoping it will be third time lucky for me. Best of luck to anyone else applying x

I am presuming no on has heard anything further on this years reserve list being used. Just still think its really strange not one person has been offered. Im off to start working on my application for 2020!
Reply 15
Original post by GLNG*
I am presuming no on has heard anything further on this years reserve list being used. Just still think its really strange not one person has been offered. Im off to start working on my application for 2020!

Unfortunately not, looks like it’s going to have to be 2020!
Reply 16
Is anyone else studying the pda at Glasgow Clyde college? Hopefully next year everyone has a bit more luck.
Reply 17
Original post by Vyv1989
Is anyone else studying the pda at Glasgow Clyde college? Hopefully next year everyone has a bit more luck.

Me! 🙋
(edited 4 years ago)
hey ladies, I will also be applying next year having been on reserves this year. Can I ask when the open days and workshops are etc?
Reply 19
The open day is Saturday the 26th October. Last year they took names on the day for the workshop hopefully they do that again this year.

https://www.uws.ac.uk/study/open-days-info-sessions/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImZmtwJK65AIVRrDtCh0U4gjgEAAYAiAAEgL2s_D_BwE

Latest

Trending

Trending