The Student Room Group

Did unexpectedly crap in my alevels

Hi, I did A level biology, chemistry and psychology
And was predicted ABB while my firm choice wanted AAC and the second choice uni wanted BBC

During my alevels I had some problems such as deaths. I told my firm choice uni about that yet i don’t think it was considered.

Which I think is the reason why I got CDE.

This has made me really stressed and I walked out of college fuming (talked to no one). It has affected my health and sleep. How ever I have recovered slowly and I have accepted that it can’t be changed

I got my second offer but to do foundation biomedical science at Manchester metropolitan uni.
I accepted because I reached a brick wall and really wanted to go uni.

Did I make the right decision or should I have resit ( resit would be very annoying as I put a lot of effort in)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Naheem1234
Hi, I did A level biology, chemistry and psychology
And was predicted ABB while my firm choice wanted AAC and the second choice uni wanted BBC

During my alevels I had some problems such as deaths. I told my firm choice uni about that yet i don’t think it was considered.

Which I think is the reason why I got CDE.

This has made me really stressed and I walked out of college fuming (talked to no one). It has affected my health and sleep. How ever I have recovered slowly and I have accepted that it can’t be changed

I got my second offer but to do foundation biomedical science at Manchester metropolitan uni.
I accepted because I reached a brick wall and really wanted to go uni.

Did I make the right decision or should I have resit ( resit would be very annoying as I put a lot of effort in)

I think you should retake. You clearly could've done better and the circumstances don't usually happen. Personally I think you're selling yourself short if you do this foundation year
Reply 2
Yes I should but my college is a bit reluctant. You’d have to literally fight. And I think it’s a bit late since I have accepted the uni. And done my student finance
Yes I should but my college is a bit reluctant. You’d have to literally fight. And I think it’s a bit late since I have accepted the uni. And done my student finance

Well I think now you’ve gone for metropolitan you should stick with it. Biomedical science is a good field - did you visit the uni?
Never too late to pull out, you haven't confirmed your registration with the uni yet
Reply 5
Original post by DipperDolphin
Well I think now you’ve gone for metropolitan you should stick with it. Biomedical science is a good field - did you visit the uni?

Yes I did. Liked the uni but not as much as my firm choice.
Hi Don't beat yourself up ! Things happen for a reason I always believe - whatever you do don't get down beat - follow your heart.
Reply 7
Original post by MWills99
Never too late to pull out, you haven't confirmed your registration with the uni yet

I’ll try when college reopens but I don’t think they would let me since our college did **** as a whole. And a lot of clever able students did poor. So there would probably be lines lol.

I was thinking about checking my marks and getting them remarked if they are closer to the next grade
Yes I did. Liked the uni but not as much as my firm choice.

Have you confirmed your registration and enrolled with them? If not, I believe you can pull out which will mean your student finance would be cancelled. Best check with one of your teachers.

Do what you think is best - it’s your future :smile:. Seems to me you do want to retake so I’d go down that route.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks. I did try very hard and I was told by teachers that I would succeed which is why I took a few days to recover from that shocker
If you do not feel like you will be happy at university you have a lot to consider.
You can still gain admittance to solid universities if you retake, especially since there were obvious external factors involved.
I also have 2 really quick questions:
- Did you contact your exam boards/ unis during the exams themselves or was it later on?
- When submitting the circumstances, did you ever receive an acknowledgement from your firm that they had seen it? If not, you could try and speak to them (but obviously don't expect anything).

In the end, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do! I personally did an extra year of sixth form (Y12 repeat), so if you have any questions feel free to give me a shout :hugs:
Original post by MWills99
Personally I think you're selling yourself short if you do this foundation year

although a foundation year is a big commitment, both personally and financially, it'll prepare you for the subsequent degree exceptionally well, much better than any a levels will

you could retake your a levels - it wouldn't cost anywhere near as much and it'll look good on paper but you may not improve your grades

or you could take the foundation year - it'll be great fun (two first years at uni, basically), you'll be well prepared for the degree and although it costs more, your monthly payments for student finance won't be any higher
what degree did you want to do?
Don't bother resitting seriously, your destination is the same who cares how you get there? Adapt and overcome

FFS- STOP BUMPING OLD FKIN THREADS!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by J0n3zviper
Don't bother resitting seriously, your destination is the same who cares how you get there? Adapt and overcome

FFS- STOP BUMPING OLD FKIN THREADS!!!

The thread is an hour old...
Reply 15
I got BDE from laziness and got A*AB this year and going Exeter.it's worth retaking and believing.

Quick Reply

Latest