The Student Room Group

How to work as a HCA if as a full time med student, there's no space for the training

I hope this is the right place to post. This is personal, and people here i know in real life.

Many say for the final two years, when most students get half of what they would normally get in terms of maintenance and other loans, it's either parents help or job.

I am willing to work, preferably as a HCA, but i don't quite know how to get the job, if i am a full time student and can never find any time for the paid training.

I want to work as a bank worker and make £90 a week. Would this be too high to aim for?
See if your local hospital has any positions available on the Nurse Bank first of all; then if not apply for part time permanent jobs and ask to get transferred into the bank once you start; they might not let you go on for a few months though. £90 a week should be easily doable working weekends
If you're willing to do things like admin then you can get into BANK and theres loads of jobs. I get emails all the time as I am part of BANK. They really value someone who knows you (who works there) and can recommend you to them. But yeah often shifts will be one or two days a week if you want.
Reply 3
Original post by Secretariat123
If you're willing to do things like admin then you can get into BANK and theres loads of jobs. I get emails all the time as I am part of BANK. They really value someone who knows you (who works there) and can recommend you to them. But yeah often shifts will be one or two days a week if you want.

By BANK, do you mean jobs where you decide what shifts you want? When i type into the job's search box, what exactly do i need to be searching for to get any kind of BANK job?

I'm also looking to be a health care assistant because i am a full-time medical student.

I need the £90 a week because i have half my normal student finance to live on for the year.
Reply 4
Hey, thank you for helping
I'm a full-time medical student. Do Nurse Banks also advertise HCA jobs? My worry is a lot of them have paid training but i'm a student full time and i don't have like a whole week i can just write-off. I wouldn't mind training evenings and weekends
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, thank you for helping
I'm a full-time medical student. Do Nurse Banks also advertise HCA jobs? My worry is a lot of them have paid training but i'm a student full time and i don't have like a whole week i can just write-off. I wouldn't mind training evenings and weekends

I think you are really going to struggle if I’m honest; is there any possibility you could apply for the job and do it over the summer holidays? The only other alternative is agency work but it isn’t really reliable and in my experience it’s seldom in hospitals unless you’re already an RGN
Original post by Anonymous
By BANK, do you mean jobs where you decide what shifts you want? When i type into the job's search box, what exactly do i need to be searching for to get any kind of BANK job?

I'm also looking to be a health care assistant because i am a full-time medical student.

I need the £90 a week because i have half my normal student finance to live on for the year.

BANK is a fixed term contract, you are paid literally for each hour you work. You decide if you want to accept a job and work for the weeks they need you. Next to the job title on the website it should say BANK or full time contract.
Check your local Trust's TSS (temporary staffing service). You can enrol on their bank staff roster. However, you may be required to do some induction training (which should also be paid).
Reply 8
I'm a GEM student (2nd year) and work on the bank as a HCA. The training bit is a bit of a pain in the arse (especially when you've done it 100 times!), but it's one of those situations where unless you can line up the training for the holidays you're going to just have to miss some sessions and attend in uni time. I'd imagine the uni would be supportive of this if you tell them that you need the additional money and that you chose to do HCA as it is still healthcare/hospital focused.

I usually work one short shift (7.5hrs + 0.5 hr break) at a weekend and this nets me £100 for sat or £130 for sun. As mentioned above the best place is to speak to your hospitals temporary staffing team (TSS). They will probably have a recruitment page or a recruitment email address. However if they don't, then I'd personally go and see them in person, my experience with hospital HR staff is that they're quite difficult to get hold of via phone/email.
Reply 9
Do your training when you are on holidays. When you are on the bank you have the flexibility to pick up weekend and night shifts to fit around your classes. One 12 hour shift will be enough to meet your target of £90 per week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending