The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2020 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Probably how far away their placement schools are. Some universities (Cambridge, UEA) cover 5 counties, others like Nottingham cover 3. Most have a very big placement area, so it's worth looking into how far away you might be, particularly if you can't drive. Also, if you don't want to travel ridiculous amounts every day some might need you to get separate accommodation closer to the placement school.
Original post by 04MR17
History Secondary and South. :smile: I know what unis I'm looking for I more meant as in what within the course details and specification should I be paying attention to? :colondollar:
Original post by DauntlessKilljoy
Probably how far away their placement schools are. Some universities (Cambridge, UEA) cover 5 counties, others like Nottingham cover 3. Most have a very big placement area, so it's worth looking into how far away you might be, particularly if you can't drive. Also, if you don't want to travel ridiculous amounts every day some might need you to get separate accommodation closer to the placement school.

This is why personally, I believe the school-direct option with your university is the best option.
This option gives you the list of schools you may be placed in and they will all be around the same area. And you can arrange your travel early on!
I am doing the school-direct option with UCL IOE. (Note that uni-led and school-direct students will have exactly the same timetable if you are doing school direct with a university)
(edited 4 years ago)
Which month later in the year can we start submitting our personal statement?
Also what school experience and how many days have you guys done?
Reply 63
UCAS applications open in October I believe
Don’t worry about how “good” the courses are at unis for PGCE’s are graded by Ofsted not by traditional uni standards. Bath Spa for example is “outstanding” for teaching which is the highest Ofsted grading. So Russel unis are not necessarily the best. At the end of your course you get QTS (this is what really matters), since that I have not been asked about where I did my PGCE, I don’t think it even comes into decision making by my school!
Original post by eilish1903
Undergrad degree: Biochemistry from the University of Wolverhampton
Applications: University of Reading, Bunel Univeristy and Hertforshire Univeristy
Course: PGCE with QTS Secondary Chemistry

I've applied to the three unis above, I've heard back from Reading and Brunel. I have an interview for Reading this monday (04/02/19) and was just wondering if anyone had any tips. I'm so nervous about it. I loved chemistry at A Level and wanted to study chemistry at uni but my head of sixth form told me I was aiming too high wanting to apply to study chemistry at places like Warwick and Birmingham and Aston and convinced me to apply for biochem at polytechnic unis to ensure I got a place even though I got ABBC in AS levels. When I was in secondary school I knew I wanted to go into teaching and he said that if I did it this way I was certianly able to go to a russle group uni to do my actual PGCE and teacher training...
Yeah that is a good plan; I'm hoping to do that with my back up choice, although my first choice has all their schools within their county borders which is still a lot closer than most other universities.
Original post by thenextchemist
This is why personally, I believe the school-direct option with your university is the best option.
This option gives you the list of schools you may be placed in and they will all be around the same area. And you can arrange your travel early on!
I am doing the school-direct option with UCL IOE. (Note that uni-led and school-direct students will have exactly the same timetable if you are doing school direct with a university)
By October 9th (the admission opening day) I will have had 40 this year in a mix of primary and secondary (I'm applying for secondary). I found that primary schools were a lot more likely to reply to my emails than high schools, and could utilise me more in the classroom. Don't let how many I've done scare you, most universities want like 2 days. Also I advise to chase all the schools you email; if they don't reply within a week, phone the school and tell them your email's playing up and you're just checking your email got through because no one's replied yet. Works a treat.
Original post by Mickey976
Name: Jonathan
Specific Course: PGCE Secondary History
Applying at: University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about teacher training in 2020 at such an early time. I made the decision to go into teaching rather recently (it's always been an interest of mine, but I never set the ball rolling until the last few months). As a result, the application I compiled for a PGCE Secondary History with 2019 entry was rather weak. I've now committed to spending the next academic year compiling a much better application.
I graduated with a first in Ancient History and Archaeology from Manchester University in 2016. Then, after a year of working, I returned to Manchester University in 2017 and completed a History MA which received a distinction. Despite my grades, I'm aware that there are considerable gaps in my knowledge of the National Curriculum. This week, therefore, I started working through the KS3/4 syllabus. I must've spent four of the last twenty-four hours reading up on the Norman Conquest! Hopefully this will avoid embarrassment on the subject knowledge audit :smile:
Original post by Jonathan1995
Name: Jonathan
Specific Course: PGCE Secondary History
Applying at: University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about teacher training in 2020 at such an early time. I made the decision to go into teaching rather recently (it's always been an interest of mine, but I never set the ball rolling until the last few months). As a result, the application I compiled for a PGCE Secondary History with 2019 entry was rather weak. I've now committed to spending the next academic year compiling a much better application.
I graduated with a first in Ancient History and Archaeology from Manchester University in 2016. Then, after a year of working, I returned to Manchester University in 2017 and completed a History MA which received a distinction. Despite my grades, I'm aware that there are considerable gaps in my knowledge of the National Curriculum. This week, therefore, I started working through the KS3/4 syllabus. I must've spent four of the last twenty-four hours reading up on the Norman Conquest! Hopefully this will avoid embarrassment on the subject knowledge audit :smile:

Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear you are considering applying to us next year. If you've not already visited our university, or if you want to take another look around you can book on to our Postgraduate Open Day here https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/visit/ the event takes place on Wednesday 20 November.

In the meantime, if you have any questions for us please feel free to send us them on here. Or you can get in touch with our Course Enquiries team at www.mmu.ac.uk/course-enquiry or on 0161 247 6969.

I hope the rest of your reading goes well.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
Reply 69

The standard amount for an offer is just 2 days! However, with the more competitive courses I'd recommend getting more (like maybe 4 days in secondary in 2 separate schools and 2 days primary). Don't delay your application to get experience though, your uni can make you an offer based on you getting more experience.
UCAS teacher training applications tend to open in October or November.
Reply 70
Original post by Jonathan1995
Despite my grades, I'm aware that there are considerable gaps in my knowledge of the National Curriculum.

Don't worry about this, the subject knowledge is not usually questioned too intensely at interview.
My subject is Chemistry, I was asked a Science skills question about planning an experiment, an early years question and a later years one. You will most likely remember the subject from doing it in school; they're not testing your recall but your ability to convey information. Regardless, the interviewers said that my answers would not affect my eligibility to get an offer, just what we had to work on once on the course.
That's a relief. Thanks for the advice.
All universities have to cover certain training which is set out by Ofsted. So the experience will only differ on how this is delivered. There will be some differences in placements. I had two, one short one long. Some unis do 3 where you go back to the first school you had for the last placement.

Look at the information that they have online. Most will have a timetable of what the year looks like online. The deciding point for me was closeness to home so I went for Bath Spa. There pretty good, I also mentor trainees from there now.
Undergraduate: Biological Sciences at University of Liverpool
Course: PGCE Primary

Glad to have found this thread! I’m going into my final year of my undergraduate degree in September and will be applying for my PGCE, but unsure whether I prefer school direct or university led? Anyone have any experience with University of Chester?
Original post by Dominiquee06
I know its super early to be starting this thread but I was feeling alone not knowing anybody else who was applying for 2020 entry so I thought I'd start a thread and see what happens. I am currently preparing for when applications open later this year. :smile:

A little bit about me and my journey:

I graduated summer 2018 with a 2:1 in Philosophy from Oxford Brookes University. I spent 6 months trying to break into the gaming industry as a community manager and it just obliterated my passion for the industry the more I spent time in it.

I really missed intellectual stimulation and I missed my subject and so I decided to pursue teaching as a career. Since then I have been working towards building a strong PGCE application for 2020 entry to become a Philosophy/RE teacher.

In addition to that, I'm applying for an MA course at Leeds for Philosophy of Religion and Ethics for September 2019 entry and also going to be redoing my GCSE Maths Part-time alongside that as I need to get that C/4 grade! (Going to have a LOT going on, I know.)

Haven't got it all figured out yet though, Still undecided as to which method I want to take, university or school-based PGCE :s-smilie:

I'd love to hear about your guys' journeys! Where are you applying? What do you want to teach? How are your personal statements going? All that kind of stuff - Share all!

Name: Tara
Specific Course: Secondary PGCE (Health and Social Care)
Applying at: Newcastle Uni and school direct places around Newcastle
Hey guys, I've just started writing my personal statement; what kind of things are people talking about? How are everyone's going? Is anyone else really struggling with the word count?
When can we start applying for PGCE course for 2020 entry guys?
When can we start applying for PGCE course for 2020 entry guys?

Hi there @Mickey976

At Liverpool Hope University we'd recommend starting to apply for our PGCE courses in September/October 2019 for the 2020 cohort. You should definitely check with the universities of your choice when they recommend applying so you can start your application as soon as possible and reduce any stress with a last minute application rush! Universities enquiry departments will definitely be able to assist you with any dates you need to make a note of for applying.

Please message any questions we can assist you with

Fi :horse:
Name: Jamie
Specific Course: School direct OR PGCE primary, but will also consider secondary science.
Applying at: First choice: Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent University

Hi, I am a registered veterinary nurse studying my Bsc honors due to conclude next year so looking to apply for my PGCE this year! I haven't got any formal teaching experience in the classroom but have been teaching students within my job and will hopefully be looking into getting teaching experience one morning a week at university.

I am looking to teaching primary school students, it's what I have always wanted to do, but I would also consider secondary science. Anyway, I digress! Any advice regarding personal statements? Anyone else looking into Sheffield Hallam?
Original post by Jamie_11_x
Name: Jamie
Specific Course: School direct OR PGCE primary, but will also consider secondary science.
Applying at: First choice: Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent University

Hi, I am a registered veterinary nurse studying my Bsc honors due to conclude next year so looking to apply for my PGCE this year! I haven't got any formal teaching experience in the classroom but have been teaching students within my job and will hopefully be looking into getting teaching experience one morning a week at university.

I am looking to teaching primary school students, it's what I have always wanted to do, but I would also consider secondary science. Anyway, I digress! Any advice regarding personal statements? Anyone else looking into Sheffield Hallam?

Hi Jamie_11_x,

As you are undecided between primary or secondary, I'd suggest getting experience in both and see which you prefer. It would be difficult to write a personal statement for both primary and secondary so it is best to decide before you apply. You are allowed three choices initially but these can be both school direct courses and university based PGCE courses.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending