The Student Room Group

Will people respect me if I play guitar

I have always been a bit shy at school, and so people just judge me and think I’m weird. I honestly find this really annoying cause I wish people would just see me differently, I am actually very outgoing when people get to know me. I was wondering if maybe putting a video of me playing guitar on Instagram or something would make people respect me more. I have been playing for 8+ years and am a grade 6 classical. What do you think?
Original post by Anonymous
I have always been a bit shy at school, and so people just judge me and think I’m weird. I honestly find this really annoying cause I wish people would just see me differently, I am actually very outgoing when people get to know me. I was wondering if maybe putting a video of me playing guitar on Instagram or something would make people respect me more. I have been playing for 8+ years and am a grade 6 classical. What do you think?

If you like playing, go for it :smile: maybe you’ll find someone with a similar interest, too
It can't hurt so might as well. Pretty sad that you feel you need to do this to gain respect
Reply 3
Original post by S.carter
If you like playing, go for it :smile: maybe you’ll find someone with a similar interest, too

Thank you for the response, I think I will definitely consider it.

Thank you for the response, all I really want to do is have people see me in a different way, if you think it might impress people then I will do it.

Original post by MWills99
It can't hurt so might as well. Pretty sad that you feel you need to do this to gain respect

Thanks for the response. All I want is for people to see that I am normal. Being a little shy at school ruined my chances at becoming well known, so people just think I’m weird. Going into sixth form now makes me feel like I need to improve my reputation in a way, just hope that this will work
Reply 4

6th form will give you another chance as friendship groups tend to have a bit of a shuffle and different people will be in your classes.Try and get involved in some school societies as well .I would also be inclined to add some pop songs to your repertoire.

I myself am a grade 5 classical guitarist (hoping to do theory eventually) and have found that people in my experience find it a bit gimmicky if you post on Instagram about your skills. I never tried, but I know someone who does and can play chords and no one really mentions to them about it.

However if you get the opportunity to play guitar (let’s say you off-handedly mention that fact) you could then whip out a guitar and play some banging tunes. I’ve done this and see no real effect in the way people treat me, but who knows, it might have an effect. On instagram you can take hundreds of takes and people may become sceptical by your true skill, however doing it live can support your playing skills and others are less inclined to be skeptical.

I personally think it seems show-offish and is unneeded. People should judge others by being social and getting to know each other. Playing instruments is definitely a show of skill, no doubt, but is a shallow way to judge someone. For now, make small talk, get to know someone and maybe invite them for a day out. Something like playing guitar can work, but is unconventional and for me, not the first thing I want to know about someone.
Reply 6
It mostly gets the interest of middle aged gear nerds or scale aficionados, in my experience
I dont see why you need to do this anyway, you shouldnt have to do something just to feel comfortable, but if you think it will help do it. Otherwise, maybe just speak more or get involved.?
You don’t need to do this. Keep on playing, though, if it makes you happy. It’s not important what others think. Maybe if you go to uni you can join a band there.

On the other hand, playing guitar whilst at school never did Paul McCartney ant harm, did it?
Reply 9
Thank you for the response, I can assure you that it would be for me, as I would like to start showcasing my abilities I guess you could say as I am at the stage now when I am getting offered for gigs and such. Just hope that people might be a bit more respectful towards me when they see this.

Original post by Scotney
6th form will give you another chance as friendship groups tend to have a bit of a shuffle and different people will be in your classes.Try and get involved in some school societies as well .I would also be inclined to add some pop songs to your repertoire.

Thank you, I will take this advice as it does reassure me for sixth form. I do actually play a lot of pop songs, I don’t really like classical music that much, I just prefer the sound of the classical guitar.

Original post by Johnnyman2001
I myself am a grade 5 classical guitarist (hoping to do theory eventually) and have found that people in my experience find it a bit gimmicky if you post on Instagram about your skills. I never tried, but I know someone who does and can play chords and no one really mentions to them about it.

However if you get the opportunity to play guitar (let’s say you off-handedly mention that fact) you could then whip out a guitar and play some banging tunes. I’ve done this and see no real effect in the way people treat me, but who knows, it might have an effect. On instagram you can take hundreds of takes and people may become sceptical by your true skill, however doing it live can support your playing skills and others are less inclined to be skeptical.

I personally think it seems show-offish and is unneeded. People should judge others by being social and getting to know each other. Playing instruments is definitely a show of skill, no doubt, but is a shallow way to judge someone. For now, make small talk, get to know someone and maybe invite them for a day out. Something like playing guitar can work, but is unconventional and for me, not the first thing I want to know about someone.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the advice but I assure you I am not wanting to appear as a show off, I simply would just like to post my music online. I actually have made a separate page on Instagram for it, but my plan was to put maybe one video on my main account/story. Do you think that might be a bad idea? I just want people to have the opportunity to see what I can do, but I wouldn’t want to spam their feed with videos of me. And I have tried to make small talk, and to be fair I have made quite a lot of new friends and have been invited to a few parties lately, but I just wish people would see me in a different way, and in my experience people often think better of you when you can play an instrument.

Original post by gjd800
It mostly gets the interest of middle aged gear nerds or scale aficionados, in my experience

Thanks for your honesty, hopefully this doesn’t happen to me if I decide to do it.

Original post by MasterRalph
I dont see why you need to do this anyway, you shouldnt have to do something just to feel comfortable, but if you think it will help do it. Otherwise, maybe just speak more or get involved.?

Thanks for the response. I mainly just want to start showing the world what I can do, because I really want to get involved in the music industry. Tbh I don’t really care what people think of me, but if this improves their opinions of me it might make sixth form a bit more enjoyable, because for some reason if you are a bit shy everyone sees you as a freak.

Original post by Oxford Mum
You don’t need to do this. Keep on playing, though, if it makes you happy. It’s not important what others think. Maybe if you go to uni you can join a band there.

On the other hand, playing guitar whilst at school never did Paul McCartney ant harm, did it?

Thanks for the response. Guitar is my passion, all I want to do is increase people’s opinions of me to make sixth form a bit more bearable. I am definitely going to uni so we will have to see.
Someone actually asked me to go for an audition to be lead singer in their band. I was so shy and nervous I never showed up. I regret this. If you get the chance to form a group at uni please do not pass this up as I did.

It doesn’t matter what happens with the school friends. Once you leave you may never see them again
Original post by Oxford Mum
Someone actually asked me to go for an audition to be lead singer in their band. I was so shy and nervous I never showed up. I regret this. If you get the chance to form a group at uni please do not pass this up as I did.

It doesn’t matter what happens with the school friends. Once you leave you may never see them again

Thank you for the advice, I have also missed out on opportunities that I still regret and so I always try to take up every opportunity that comes my way. If I can can give you some advice, never dwell on lost opportunities but because this means that you always miss new opportunities around you :smile: Thank you
Thank you for the advice, I have also missed out on opportunities that I still regret and so I always try to take up every opportunity that comes my way. If I can can give you some advice, never dwell on lost opportunities but because this means that you always miss new opportunities around you :smile: Thank you

Thanks, I have written a book about applying for Oxford called Oxford Demystified. I got permission to blog it on TSR and I was petrified, but you should see the reception it has got!!!

So yes, I am following this advice. I have missed too many chances, and will not let this one pass me by!
Reply 13
Sounds like you need to work on your social skills in real life, and posting a video isn't going to help that. Are the people you want to 'get respect' from even going to see it? If someone sees it and talks to you about it, could you discuss it or would you be too shy? What happens if the conversation then turns to another subject?

If you post a video, do it for the right reasons; to get respect isn't one. People can admire your skills, yes, but it won't help your lack of self-confidence.
Go for it! do it for you, not for others :smile:
Original post by Surnia
Sounds like you need to work on your social skills in real life, and posting a video isn't going to help that. Are the people you want to 'get respect' from even going to see it? If someone sees it and talks to you about it, could you discuss it or would you be too shy? What happens if the conversation then turns to another subject?

If you post a video, do it for the right reasons; to get respect isn't one. People can admire your skills, yes, but it won't help your lack of self-confidence.

Thanks for the response, I personally feel my social skills are actually quite good. The only time I am shy is when I am meeting new people, but I can understand what you are saying. I guess I should consider working on my self confidence though.

Original post by HumbleBee_x
Go for it! do it for you, not for others :smile:

Thank you, I would definitely be doing it for me as I would like to show people what I can do and put the skills I have learnt to use :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending