The Student Room Group

Honest opinions on Studytubers?

I’ve been watching Studytubers for a while to help get exam tips, seeing their journeys and I’ve just wondered what other people’s opinions on them are?

Eve Bennett and Jack Edwards I’m a fan of because they seem like “normal” stereotypical students. They work hard of course but they go out clubbing, they get up late, they have problems so it feels more relatable. I can say the same about Eve Cornwell but just feel she’s a little over the top and can be grating.

The two I have an issue with are Unjaded Jade and, particularly, Ruby Granger. While Jade seems like a lovely girl, what teenagers can afford to go to Australia and Uganda on gap years, while getting up at 5am to do yoga? It’s like she’s trying to live up to this “holier than thou” type of persona, while the fact she goes on about Oxbridge rejection because it’s the only thing she’s ever failed at, while crying when she doesn’t get an A*? It sets unrealistic expectations.

As for Ruby Granger, she’s just incredibly fake and like she’s playing a character. She thinks she’s actually Hermione Granger and washes her face in a bowl at 5am, makes daily lists and is just completely opposed to what a student should be. Also, I saw a video of her crying simply because she achieved a 2:2 on her first uni assignment. It’s not the end of the world and sets horribly unrealistic expectations.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty much exactly the same as you, I've been on an Eve Bennett binge the last few days because I got super behind on her uni vlogs (yay for year 13 stress :rolleyes:), but I had to stop watching Jade and Ruby earlier this year because I couldn't cope with how unusual their lives are. I want to be motivated by someone I can relate to, not someone who can afford to travel all over the place or can't work out how to set realistic and forgiving expectations.
Original post by Nikkix2000
I’ve been watching Studytubers for a while to help get exam tips, seeing their journeys and I’ve just wondered what other people’s opinions on them are?

Eve Bennett and Jack Edwards I’m a fan of because they seem like “normal” stereotypical students. They work hard of course but they go out clubbing, they get up late, they have problems so it feels more relatable. I can say the same about Eve Cornwell but just feel she’s a little over the top and can be grating.

The two I have an issue with are Unjaded Jade and, particularly, Ruby Granger. While Jade seems like a lovely girl, what teenagers can afford to go to Australia and Uganda on gap years, while getting up at 5am to do yoga? It’s like she’s trying to live up to this “holier than thou” type of persona, while the fact she goes on about Oxbridge rejection because it’s the only thing she’s ever failed at, while crying when she doesn’t get an A*? It sets unrealistic expectations.

As for Ruby Granger, she’s just incredibly fake and like she’s playing a character. She thinks she’s actually Hermione Granger and washes her face in a bowl at 5am, makes daily lists and is just completely opposed to what a student should be. Also, I saw a video of her crying simply because she achieved a 2:2 on her first uni assignment. It’s not the end of the world and sets horribly unrealistic expectations.

My issue with this is that people constantly complain that some studytubers cry if they don’t get an A*. SUCCESS IS RELATIVE, just because I’m happy with a B doesn’t mean someone else will be. I’ve gotten an A in a subject that I wanted an A* and cried meanwhile I got a B in something else and was very happy with it. It may be unrealistic to you but it’s pretty realistic to someone else. Of course there will be people that may not do as well despite working hard but saying it’s unrealistic to get all A*s when I know people with all A*s? However, what I’ll say is some people do compare themselves to these studytubers. I had a friend who watched Jade’s video on revising Chem and felt like he wasn’t prepared but still got an A*. Their aim is to motivate people, realistic (to you) or not, omds.
Reply 3
Original post by Interea
Pretty much exactly the same as you, I've been on an Eve Bennett binge the last few days because I got super behind on her uni vlogs (yay for year 13 stress :rolleyes:), but I had to stop watching Jade and Ruby earlier this year because I couldn't cope with how unusual their lives are. I want to be motivated by someone I can relate to, not someone who can afford to travel all over the place or can't work out how to set realistic and forgiving expectations.

I just don’t think they’re 100% genuine.

I believe Jade is to an extent but some of the things like 5am yoga and travelling to Uganda is just too obscure and what teenagers do that?

As for Ruby, I’m convinced she’s playing a role. Just watching her morning routine video, I found myself laughing at how ridiculous it was more than anything.
Reply 4
Original post by summer207
My issue with this is that people constantly complain that some studytubers cry if they don’t get an A*. SUCCESS IS RELATIVE, just because I’m happy with a B doesn’t mean someone else will be. I’ve gotten an A in a subject that I wanted an A* and cried meanwhile I got a B in something else and was very happy with it. It may be unrealistic to you but it’s pretty realistic to someone else. Of course there will be people that may not do as well despite working hard but saying it’s unrealistic to get all A*s when I know people with all A*s? However, what I’ll say is some people do compare themselves to these studytubers. I had a friend who watched Jade’s video on revising Chem and felt like he wasn’t prepared but still got an A*. Their aim is to motivate people, realistic (to you) or not, omds.

I understand your point and it is relative but they still set unrealistic expectations I feel.

I know they’re in the limelight, but some of them go on about Oxbridge rejections over a year later because they feel it “normalises” them because it’s the only sense of failure they’ve ever had.

That isn’t even my main problem, it’s more just how unnatural and fake Ruby and Jade seem. They have to live up to what their viewers want - Jade is a vegan, travelling yoga doer and Ruby washes her face in a bowl at 5am with cotton wool and seems very childish for a teenager.

It’s just bizarre!

I personally don’t watch ruby granger and uncared jade. I just find them not that interesting.
i mainly watch eve cornwell, she’s honest and real and talks about her failures honestly. Her and jack edwards have a very natural and bubbly personality unlike the other two.

i don’t dislike unjaded jade or ruby granger I just don’t find them as appealing.
Reply 6

Jack Edwards and Eve Cornwell is fine, I do like their content.
Eve Bennet, (to me) seems like a sell out.

PaigeY is also a good 'studytuber' and I found Nayf useful tips and warwick review particurarly useful.
The best one by far is Jake Wright, who already finished uni at Cambridge but I binge watched his videos a year ago. He still makes interesting videos about life after uni.

Sadly most studytubers (aka uni vloggers) are either uninteresting or they have a pretty artificial personality. I watch this kind of content to see how it is like to study in uni as well as the hardships they faced and how they overcome them. Its a shame that most studytubers are oxbridge students, I would like to see more that study in other decent unis. E.g, London unis, Manchester, uni of southampton, Nottingham, Sheffield, York, etc...
(edited 4 years ago)

I personally don’t watch ruby granger and uncared jade. I just find them not that interesting.
i mainly watch eve cornwell, she’s honest and real and talks about her failures honestly. Her and jack edwards have a very natural and bubbly personality unlike the other two.

i don’t dislike unjaded jade or ruby granger I just don’t find them as appealing.

I also love Ibzmo, seeing an Asian student go to Cambridge really gives me hope that one day I can do the same.
Reply 8
Original post by Flakeeee

I agree with Jack and I’m a fan of his. I’m 50/50 on Eve though.

While I like her, I think she’s turning her actual personality up by 100 and it’s a bit too much sometimes.
Original post by summer207

Totally agree with you.
During my December mock I got a 7 in history and was upset. A good grade is different to each person.
Original post by stoyfan
Jack Edwards and Eve Cornwell is fine, I do like their content.
Eve Bennet, (to me) seems like a sell out.

PaigeY is also a good 'studytuber' and I found Nayf useful tips and warwick review particurarly useful.
The best one by far is Jake Wright, who already finished uni at Cambridge but I binge watched his videos a year ago. He still makes interesting videos about life after uni.

Sadly most studytubers (aka uni vloggers) are either uninteresting or they have a pretty artificial personality. I watch this kind of content to see how it is like to study in uni as well as the hardships they faced and how they overcome them. Its a shame that most studytubers are oxbridge students, I would like to see more that study in other decent unis. E.g, London unis, Manchester, uni of southampton, Nottingham, Sheffield, York, etc...

Eve went too Bristol, Ruby to Exeter and Jack to Durham so there is a mix.

What do you mean by Eve being a sellout? She’s the one who I find most relatable and normal out of all them. It feels like it’s her real personality not turned up and actually seems to live a normal student life.

I also love Ibzmo, seeing an Asian student go to Cambridge really gives me hope that one day I can do the same.

If you think it's surprising an Asian student got into Cambridge, that tells me you've never visited the beautiful city of Cambridge during term time.

I believe Jade is to an extent but some of the things like 5am yoga and travelling to Uganda is just too obscure and what teenagers do that?

As for Ruby, I’m convinced she’s playing a role. Just watching her morning routine video, I found myself laughing at how ridiculous it was more than anything.

I believe Jade, but her lifestyle is just not even close to attainable for me so I can't find it motivating or interesting as I do with some of the more "standard" studytubers (like I wake up early and work hard, but I don't have the cash to travel to somewhere like Uganda, let alone do that and interrailing and Australia so close together).

I can't tell how much Ruby is playing a role, I think that could genuinely just be the way she likes to live but like you I can't take it seriously - the wash bowl was what pushed me over the edge of "I'm never going to aspire to live like this so it can't inspire me to do anything".

I can’t stand Ibzmo I’m afraid. He’s like Eve in the personality dialled up aspect but 100x worse.

Saying “here’s the tea” and speaking with that forced “know it all” voice is so annoying.
Original post by Notoriety
If you think it's surprising an Asian student got into Cambridge, that tells me you've never visited the beautiful city of Cambridge during term time.

My other problem with IbzMo is he did a whole “storytime” on how he got rejected by Exeter and it has people with no knowledge calling it a “racist uni” and attempting to influence others.
Eve went too Bristol, Ruby to Exeter and Jack to Durham so there is a mix.

What do you mean by Eve being a sellout? She’s the one who I find most relatable and normal out of all them. It feels like it’s her real personality not turned up and actually seems to live a normal student life.

Eve went to Oxford?

Some people do get up at 5am for yoga though? And some people are fortunate enough to be able to travel to Uganda or other foreign countries on a gap year (I know a few people who did)

Youtube isn't reality though. Remember that, Ruby is probably playing a role but youtube isn't an accurate representation of reality
Original post by Interea
I believe Jade, but her lifestyle is just not even close to attainable for me so I can't find it motivating or interesting as I do with some of the more "standard" studytubers (like I wake up early and work hard, but I don't have the cash to travel to somewhere like Uganda, let alone do that and interrailing and Australia so close together).

I can't tell how much Ruby is playing a role, I think that could genuinely just be the way she likes to live but like you I can't take it seriously - the wash bowl was what pushed me over the edge of "I'm never going to aspire to live like this so it can't inspire me to do anything".

I agree 100%!

Jade seems like the loveliest person you’d ever meet but she does a “realistic” morning routine which would never work for most people. It’s just like she’s too perfect in a sense and has a lifestyle which no one else could match.

I think you’re right about Ruby but she feels she has to be like that to appeal to her audience. She seems to believe she’s really out of a book or something and it’s quite infantile.

Like the way she said she got up really late because it was 9am seems to give silly expectations for students it’s okay to get up at 9!!
Original post by AzureCeleste
Eve went to Oxford?

I meant Eve Cornwell!
I don't agree. Yes, they're not typical teenagers but I'm not really sure what the problem with that is? She's one of those "you're fine the way you are" people - she does try to help with self confidence, including her right to share her life as an atypical teen!. She repeatedly says she doesn't live the life of a typical teenager and she's in a very privileged position but it's never enough for some people. You don't know much about her life so I don't know how you know Oxbridge was her only rejection - she talks about it because it's obvs upsetting and rejection is something ppl experience a lot. Her being upset about getting A* was just her commenting on the pressure to maintain this, she put a disclaimer that she's grateful for her grades but this obviously went completely over people's head.

Ruby Granger doesn't actually think she's Hermione, she simply enjoyed playing her character when she was younger. Ruby is in uni now, she doesn't do that anymore. What exactly is wrong with washing your face in a bowl at 5 am?😂 that's how she personally lives, she isn't forcing anybody to be like her. She's organised and atypical, she admits this but I'm not sure what the problem is? Why must she be like everybody else? She's used to being perfect in academics, with hindsight she looked back and included a disclaimer explaining this. She looked back and was happy at the 2:2. Wow.

Like people are so over critical, they're teens. They don't always get it right
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending