The Student Room Group

Best age to go to university

What do you think is the best age to go to university?
Will graduating at an older age affect graduate prospects?
(edited 4 years ago)
It’s mainly down to the individual, most people start university at 18 after a levels or a level 3 qualification. However, you can apply as a “mature student”
Reply 2
Original post by ReadDed

There is non. Everyone has different circumstances and needs. I believe that those who dont feel ready to go uni or know what they want to do, should take a year (or more) off to explore their options and try things out.
Original post by kkboyk
There is non. Everyone has different circumstances and needs. I believe that those who dont feel ready to go uni or know what they want to do, should take a year (or more) off to explore their options and try things out.

Exactly this. Whilst I did some uni studies in my 20s, I dropped out. Returning in my mid-30s was better for me, seeing me achieve a 1st, several uni and international academic awards, and a full scholarship for my MA. I don't believe this would have been realistic in my younger years. So as kkboyk said, there is no perfect age to start uni :smile:
Original post by ReadDed

Hi there @ReadDed

As people have said in your replies, it depends on the person!

I wasn't ready to go to university when I was 18 and then decided to return as a mature student.

What course are you considering?

Fi :horse:
When you know for sure what you want to do in life, and that such a career would require a certain level of qualification only available through uni.
Reply 6
Original post by ozzyoscy
When you know for sure what you want to do in life, and that such a career would require a certain level of qualification only available through uni.

Well put
Reply 7
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @ReadDed

As people have said in your replies, it depends on the person!

I wasn't ready to go to university when I was 18 and then decided to return as a mature student.

What course are you considering?

A stem subject
it doesn't matter but its best to graduate before 26 but make sure you attend a top uni.
Reply 9
Original post by echelp123
it doesn't matter but its best to graduate before 26 but make sure you attend a top uni.

Why 26?
Original post by ReadDed

Eleventy one...
Original post by ReadDed
Why 26?

because you're young in your 20s so its nice to work in your 20s and you won't be far from a promotion in the typical sense.
Original post by ReadDed
A stem subject

Hi there @ReadDed

That sounds great! I did Sports Science as my undergraduate and then did my Masters by Research in Sports Science. I highly recommend taking a STEM subject. Do you have your Level 3 qualifications for university entry?

Reply 13
Will graduating at an older age affect graduate prospects? Eg 25
Original post by username4915450
because you're young in your 20s so its nice to work in your 20s and you won't be far from a promotion in the typical sense.

True to a point.
I'm not interested in promotions.
In fact I'm leaving a well paying job to go back to university to do a job that pays less.

Also if you're doing a health care degree to be a nurse or social worker you probably won't be driven by the thought of being promoted.

These posts are an absolute giveaway that you're not even in your 20s yet.

Though I was polite enough to check your recent threads to make sure, and in them they not only confirm you're barely out of school, but you're begging vehemently for info on everything like you have no clue about uni. Yet here you are saying this?

I know on the internet everyone thinks they're omniscient and right and have to 'answer' everything, but you're messing with other people's lives here just to stroke your ego. Don't.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by mackers_ire
Exactly this. Whilst I did some uni studies in my 20s, I dropped out. Returning in my mid-30s was better for me, seeing me achieve a 1st, several uni and international academic awards, and a full scholarship for my MA. I don't believe this would have been realistic in my younger years. So as kkboyk said, there is no perfect age to start uni :smile:

Thats definitely much more beneficial. It seems that many schools and parents are forcing young people to go to and complete university as quickly as possible, in order to have a chance of getting a 'good' job. I kinda wished I dropped out and have worked in IT instead :frown:
18 then you can have a laugh with your fellow drunkards

Incorrect, make sure you study something which is in demand.
Basically what most other people in this thread said, study whenever you want and whatever you want, it's your life and it's never too late to go down the path you want. I've seen people of all ages on degree courses and they're all valid and doing well and have the same chance of getting a good career out of it. I don't think jobs will really be too bothered about when you graduated, they just want you to have the qualifications they're looking for. Sometimes it takes a person a bit longer to figure things out in life and that's okay. Overall I don't think there is a "best age ", just do it at the best time for you personally and that applies for a lot of things in life, not just uni.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending