The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ibz mo is interesting and inspirational. the only one i watch.
Original post by Nikkix2000
You do know lots of people from poor backgrounds are able to go to Cambridge right?

He’s clearly got you on board with his image.

Yes, obviously I know that. He just made me hopeful and believe that I could go to oxbridge or something like that if I tried.
We seem to be exactly the same!

They all know it’s a business and have impressionable viewers at the end of the day but most of them aren’t genuine apart from Eve who you mentioned who I think is pretty genuine.

Ibz is just too much I feel. His story is inspirational and definitely the most encouraging and impressive out of all the studytubers, but now feel he gets carried away. The whole Exeter thing for example is strange because as he got rejected, he seems to encourage everyone else who has no experience to hate it and call it a “racist” university. It’s just wrong.
Original post by sinfonietta
I think they set an unrealistic example of what a student should be. It puts too much pressure on people who think they have to emulate them in order to succeed.

Exactly my point!

I just think 15 hour revision days and 5am morning routines with yoga and vegan lifestyles is too much and unrealistic.
Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
ibz mo is interesting and inspirational. the only one i watch.

I agree that he’s inspirational but he’s become big-headed and irritating.

The whole “Exeter” thing is immature and irresponsible from him as well as it encourages people who might consider going there to believe it’s “racist” simply due to his experience.
Original post by Flakeeee
Yes, obviously I know that. He just made me hopeful and believe that I could go to oxbridge or something like that if I tried.

You can do of course but I just feel he’s become too self absorbed.
I agree that he’s inspirational but he’s become big-headed and irritating.

The whole “Exeter” thing is immature and irresponsible from him as well as it encourages people who might consider going there to believe it’s “racist” simply due to his experience.

ah well i don’t mind it cause he deserves the attention he gets cause he’s interesting af.

wasn’t that the uni who had those racist students that went viral?
I don’t think she’s being herself though and that’s the issue.

While the Harry Potter stuff is fine and she can do that if she wishes, 5am morning routines and 15 hour “study with me” videos aren’t!

She doesn't even do the Harry Potter stuff, that was when she was a child.

Not sure what your gripe with 5 am morning (she hasn't actually done one) routines are? If anyone feels an immense pressure to emulate it, there are some problems you need to work on within yourself.

She included a disclaimer on the 15 hour study with me, it isn't a regular thing nor was it all studying.
Reply 48
That sounds much better!

I just don’t think doing a “realistic” morning routine for a teenager where you get up at 5am, then do yoga, sit-ups, make your bed and do revision is realistic.

Tbh, whenever I'm watching a video to learn about a person on how they do things, the moment they say anything along those lines of waking up super early, I would stop watching because they definitely do not do this unless they have A LOT of time.

Most teens arent early morning people, so its best for them to dedicate exercise or sports later during the day where they can relax afterwards. I used to briefly read my notes after waking up early since I was the most awake then, and absorbed everything much faster. Whereas if I had exercised I would have been mentally exhausted afterwards and waste a whole day.
Original post by Obolinda
She doesn't even do the Harry Potter stuff, that was when she was a child.

Not sure what your gripe with 5 am morning (she hasn't actually done one) routines are? If anyone feels an immense pressure to emulate it, there are some problems you need to work on within yourself.

She included a disclaimer on the 15 hour study with me, it isn't a regular thing nor was it all studying.

But I just don’t think she sets a good example is the issue.

She studies for 15 hours a day; there are people who will revise for a 1/5th of that and get better grades than she does.

Also, she doesn’t seem to do much other than study and read. Does she act? Music? Sport?

It’s just she’s very one dimensional.
I’ve been watching Studytubers for a while to help get exam tips, seeing their journeys and I’ve just wondered what other people’s opinions on them are?

Eve Bennett and Jack Edwards I’m a fan of because they seem like “normal” stereotypical students. They work hard of course but they go out clubbing, they get up late, they have problems so it feels more relatable. I can say the same about Eve Cornwell but just feel she’s a little over the top and can be grating.

The two I have an issue with are Unjaded Jade and, particularly, Ruby Granger. While Jade seems like a lovely girl, what teenagers can afford to go to Australia and Uganda on gap years, while getting up at 5am to do yoga? It’s like she’s trying to live up to this “holier than thou” type of persona, while the fact she goes on about Oxbridge rejection because it’s the only thing she’s ever failed at, while crying when she doesn’t get an A*? It sets unrealistic expectations.

As for Ruby Granger, she’s just incredibly fake and like she’s playing a character. She thinks she’s actually Hermione Granger and washes her face in a bowl at 5am, makes daily lists and is just completely opposed to what a student should be. Also, I saw a video of her crying simply because she achieved a 2:2 on her first uni assignment. It’s not the end of the world and sets horribly unrealistic expectations.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are?

spot on mate. I've said it for time, ruby granger is the biggest weirdo / freak on youtube. Seriously messed up in the brain thinking shes hermione.

But unjadedjade gets a look the other way, she's fit as
Original post by Physikoi
spot on mate. I've said it for time, ruby granger is the biggest weirdo / freak on youtube. Seriously messed up in the brain thinking shes hermione.

But unjadedjade gets a look the other way, she's fit as

I wouldn’t call her a freak or a weirdo and think that’s unfair but just think she sets unrealistic expectations she just doesn’t seem tuned in with what actual teenagers are like. I’m not surprised she got an Oxbridge rejection because I don’t think she’d fit in there at all.

I don’t want to comment on Jade’s appearance as she’s a girl but I suppose she’s attractive!
But I just don’t think she sets a good example is the issue.

She studies for 15 hours a day; there are people who will revise for a 1/5th of that and get better grades than she does.

Also, she doesn’t seem to do much other than study and read. Does she act? Music? Sport?

It’s just she’s very one dimensional.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the things she does. She's atypical, weird. So what? Waking up at 6 and enjoying reading is so bad?..

The reverse is also true.
No, she doesn't regularly study for 15 hours (she explains this, she's uploaded one of these) nor was all of it consisting of studying.

Well it is a studytube channel... don't know why people expect her whole life to be on there... anyway, she's recently vlogged her going out for dinner with others, organising an anti bullying campaign, vloggerd herself going out for fun in London, cooking, exercise, cinema, etc. It's all on her channel...
(edited 4 years ago)
Exactly my point!

I just think 15 hour revision days and 5am morning routines with yoga and vegan lifestyles is too much and unrealistic.

I don't think it is necessarily their lifestyles which bother me. It is the way in which they put up these "my daily routine" videos, fooling us students into thinking that they perfectly follow the routine daily. No one studies 15 hours a day!

Watching them is like watching a horror trailer on YouTube, the only difference is that no one in the comment section says "you are safe", instead they put up their own horror show, what with the eerily infatuated comments like "YOU DA BEST".
I wouldn’t call her a freak or a weirdo and think that’s unfair but just think she sets unrealistic expectations she just doesn’t seem tuned in with what actual teenagers are like. I’m not surprised she got an Oxbridge rejection because I don’t think she’d fit in there at all.

I don’t want to comment on Jade’s appearance as she’s a girl but I suppose she’s attractive!

tbh i'm surprised she wasn't/isn't bullied, doing things like writing using an ink pot and washing face in a bowl is detestable in the ends. Straight slaps
I think it's good as to what they're doing but I always admired people in my year who kept their studies secret. These people are the ones who got A's and they just kept everything to themselves. What I disagree with are the ones who just go and get their results and cry on camera, I think that's just stupid
Original post by Physikoi
tbh i'm surprised she wasn't/isn't bullied, doing things like writing using an ink pot and washing face in a bowl is detestable in the ends. Straight slaps

she was bullied. She's been pretty vocal about it and her anti-bullying campaign
Original post by kkboyk
Tbh, whenever I'm watching a video to learn about a person on how they do things, the moment they say anything along those lines of waking up super early, I would stop watching because they definitely do not do this unless they have A LOT of time.

Most teens arent early morning people, so its best for them to dedicate exercise or sports later during the day where they can relax afterwards. I used to briefly read my notes after waking up early since I was the most awake then, and absorbed everything much faster. Whereas if I had exercised I would have been mentally exhausted afterwards and waste a whole day.

I agree with you, I don’t know why some study tubers do these extra things in the morning.I’m an early bird so I always wake up at 6, I usually Just read/ or do some revision.
Original post by Andrew97
What on earth is a studytuber?

Someone who makes vlogs about their uni experience. Some make videos of them studying, although I don't really know why anyone would want to watch them.

Latest

Trending

Trending