The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well i agree with some of your points, but Jade waking up at 5 am isn't unusually, personally it motivated me alot but that's my personal opinion. I know how many hate that 😂

Not been watching her videos recently with all the travelling, that's is a bit unrealistic
Original post by stoyfan
Someone who makes vlogs about their uni experience. Some make videos of them studying, although I don't really know why anyone would want to watch them.

I think that’s a bad idea. You start off watching a video of sowmbldy revising the Doppler effect, one thing leads to another and the next thing you know you are watching Rhod Gilbert hiding in Greg Davis wardrobe while filming him sleep.
So I've just watched some of these videos from these YouTuber you've mentioned. First of all I don't see the content as very interesting except for "eve Bennett", but I must admit, I'm probably biased because she's super hot.

I have a problem with your post though. I actually am friends with someone who has a 4am routine and even does it during the summer. It's not unrealistic at all. I've never understood why people get annoyed by others aiming for top grades, sure some people are okay with a B, but some people need an A* because they are working really hard towards it.

I just see most of their videos as a waste of time except for the aforementioned, they upload nothing interesting, I don't see how people can watch it.
Original post by EyestriX
Well i agree with some of your points, but Jade waking up at 5 am isn't unusually, personally it motivated me alot but that's my personal opinion. I know how many hate that 😂

Not been watching her videos recently with all the travelling, that's is a bit unrealistic

I think the travelling bit isn’t that unrealistic as she’s just privileged and a lot of upper middle-class white girls will go on and do the same.

I think it’s just the fact she’s too perfect which is grating.
Original post by Physikoi
tbh i'm surprised she wasn't/isn't bullied, doing things like writing using an ink pot and washing face in a bowl is detestable in the ends. Straight slaps

I agree with some of what you’re saying in the sense that it’s ridiculously superficial.
Original post by NotNotBatman
So I've just watched some of these videos from these YouTuber you've mentioned. First of all I don't see the content as very interesting except for "eve Bennett", but I must admit, I'm probably biased because she's super hot.

I have a problem with your post though. I actually am friends with someone who has a 4am routine and even does it during the summer. It's not unrealistic at all. I've never understood why people get annoyed by others aiming for top grades, sure some people are okay with a B, but some people need an A* because they are working really hard towards it.

I just see most of their videos as a waste of time except for the aforementioned, they upload nothing interesting, I don't see how people can watch it.

You think Eve Bennett is super hot?

As a girl I can say she’s pretty plain, Jade is the more attractive of the two.
Original post by Nikkix2000
I think the travelling bit isn’t that unrealistic as she’s just privileged and a lot of upper middle-class white girls will go on and do the same.

I think it’s just the fact she’s too perfect which is grating.

Yeah it sounds like you have a personal problem with these studytubers, you keep going on about how she’s too perfect. Believe it or not, people don’t tell you every single thing going on in their lives. And I don’t understand how travelling is unrealistic??? People have money or is that new information? And it’s not like she even goes there and stays in super fancy places? Whatever personal problem you have with them, I think you should sort out 😂
Original post by summer207
Yeah it sounds like you have a personal problem with these studytubers, you keep going on about how she’s too perfect. Believe it or not, people don’t tell you every single thing going on in their lives. And I don’t understand how travelling is unrealistic??? People have money or is that new information? And it’s not like she even goes there and stays in super fancy places? Whatever personal problem you have with them, I think you should sort out 😂

Other people will say the same!

Like I said, I like Eve Bennett because she’s more like what you’d expect of a student and is more relatable.

Most of the others set unrealistic expectations that I don’t see many being able to match, which is a problem when you have an audience of impressionable 16 year olds.
Reply 68
I only like Eve Bennett, the rest are just annoying 😂
You think Eve Bennett is super hot?

As a girl I can say she’s pretty plain, Jade is the more attractive of the two.

Yep, I like plain Jane's.
Reply 70

Like I said, I like Eve Bennett because she’s more like what you’d expect of a student and is more relatable.

Most of the others set unrealistic expectations that I don’t see many being able to match, which is a problem when you have an audience of impressionable 16 year olds.

That is true and Unjaded jade + Ruby make other students look stupid because they might be setting high expectations for themselves but end up not achieving it. Just say it to yourself, don't say it out loud.
I met Jack Edwards and Ruby Granger at summer in the city last weekend- They are two of the most lovely people I've talked to. Ruby's personality on youtube is the same as her when I talk to her (of course there's always the chance she was acting) And Jack was hilarious. Jade introduced me to studytube; her a level videos and study with me's have got me through homework. I am a little cautious of her university choice though, doing science with only online classes while travelling to 7 countries seems a bit iffy. Eve Cornwell has really fun content (her editing is great) but I can see why some people may not like it. Can't comment on the rest as I either stopped watching them or don't really have an opinion on them
Original post by HannahTheCarrot
I met Jack Edwards and Ruby Granger at summer in the city last weekend- They are two of the most lovely people I've talked to. Ruby's personality on youtube is the same as her when I talk to her (of course there's always the chance she was acting) And Jack was hilarious. Jade introduced me to studytube; her a level videos and study with me's have got me through homework. I am a little cautious of her university choice though, doing science with only online classes while travelling to 7 countries seems a bit iffy. Eve Cornwell has really fun content (her editing is great) but I can see why some people may not like it. Can't comment on the rest as I either stopped watching them or don't really have an opinion on them

I’m sure they’re lovely but I just feel as if something is off with them so I’m a little cautious for people who idolise them.
Original post by HannahTheCarrot

yeah, met Jade at a vegan restaurant. She's really nice. agree about the uni choice.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ve been watching Studytubers for a while to help get exam tips, seeing their journeys and I’ve just wondered what other people’s opinions on them are?

Eve Bennett and Jack Edwards I’m a fan of because they seem like “normal” stereotypical students. They work hard of course but they go out clubbing, they get up late, they have problems so it feels more relatable. I can say the same about Eve Cornwell but just feel she’s a little over the top and can be grating.

The two I have an issue with are Unjaded Jade and, particularly, Ruby Granger. While Jade seems like a lovely girl, what teenagers can afford to go to Australia and Uganda on gap years, while getting up at 5am to do yoga? It’s like she’s trying to live up to this “holier than thou” type of persona, while the fact she goes on about Oxbridge rejection because it’s the only thing she’s ever failed at, while crying when she doesn’t get an A*? It sets unrealistic expectations.

As for Ruby Granger, she’s just incredibly fake and like she’s playing a character. She thinks she’s actually Hermione Granger and washes her face in a bowl at 5am, makes daily lists and is just completely opposed to what a student should be. Also, I saw a video of her crying simply because she achieved a 2:2 on her first uni assignment. It’s not the end of the world and sets horribly unrealistic expectations.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are?

Okay first of all, vlogger / studytubers or pretty much any youtuber dont expect you to fall at their feet and suggest that their ideas are a pure stroke of genius and expect you to copy them or be inspired. I'm pretty sure they just offer tips. advice and an insight into what they do which might help some people might not help others. But how would you know what works for who? Everyone's different in their own way, thats something that should be embraced and everyone has different expectations. My future ambitions could be a major spectrum completely different to yours. People get joyous or upset for various reasons, certain things might seem like end of the world for you and not someone else. But how do they differentiate as they're not in your shoes and don't see it from your P.O.V.

Yeah unjaded jade posts all these yoga methods and healthy lifestyle but you dont know how many students see that as beneficial. If it works for you, it works for you. I am gonna set up a channel next year, for tips, advice according to ME. The keyword there is according, I don't think any youtuber is like '' you have to do this'' even the process of watching their YouTube videos is an option for you. It's not like your fingers feel forced to tap onto their video and view them. You do have the right not to :biggrin:, unless you're sitting right next to Kim Jong Un and his army and being held hostage to watch Ruby Granger's videos with confusion and disgust.

Just a general question, you have placed apostrophes on the word normal so, I would like you to actually define what is a normal student. Because for what I know students come in different shapes or forms, I worked at a toddler group for many months and let me just say that there is no normal. Each and every kid is different. The same way each university student is different. Doing revision and going clubbing is someones choice on how they decide to spend their lifestyle? What about someone with a disability and they have lack of mobility and can't necessarily go clubbing and such, that makes them not normal? Or my cousin who has CF and cant study regularly because of her sickness, that isn't normal? It's a freedom of choice what they want to and don't want to engage in.

And they have problems? Honey everyone has problems, every single one of us, some people don't like showcasing it and thats up to them, If you don't like that they don't showcase the issues of their private lives, that's fine you don't have to watch their videos. Whatever you want to relate to, relate to it. I don't think there is a need to be calling out on something you dislike because how is their uploads and contents affecting you? Has it affected you personally? No. So if you want to share any inspiring/ gratitude comments to the ones you actually enjoy, yeah you can discuss that in their feed and such. Personally, if you can't relate to something and have different views upon a topic, you don't need to sit there, watch the video and question why other people enjoy the content just because you don't. Bruhhhh just you do you.:confused:

What do you expect of a student, may I ask? And its only a problem when you have an audience that don't want to view your content but watch it anyways because wooooowoooo.
Original post by PrazzPrazz
Okay first of all, vlogger / studytubers or pretty much any youtuber dont expect you to fall at their feet and suggest that their ideas are a pure stroke of genius and expect you to copy them or be inspired. I'm pretty sure they just offer tips. advice and an insight into what they do which might help some people might not help others. But how would you know what works for who? Everyone's different in their own way, thats something that should be embraced and everyone has different expectations. My future ambitions could be a major spectrum completely different to yours. People get joyous or upset for various reasons, certain things might seem like end of the world for you and not someone else. But how do they differentiate as they're not in your shoes and don't see it from your P.O.V.

Yeah unjaded jade posts all these yoga methods and healthy lifestyle but you dont know how many students see that as beneficial. If it works for you, it works for you. I am gonna set up a channel next year, for tips, advice according to ME. The keyword there is according, I don't think any youtuber is like '' you have to do this'' even the process of watching their YouTube videos is an option for you. It's not like your fingers feel forced to tap onto their video and view them. You do have the right not to :biggrin:, unless you're sitting right next to Kim Jong Un and his army and being held hostage to watch Ruby Granger's videos with confusion and disgust.

Just a general question, you have placed apostrophes on the word normal so, I would like you to actually define what is a normal student. Because for what I know students come in different shapes or forms, I worked at a toddler group for many months and let me just say that there is no normal. Each and every kid is different. The same way each university student is different. Doing revision and going clubbing is someones choice on how they decide to spend their lifestyle? What about someone with a disability and they have lack of mobility and can't necessarily go clubbing and such, that makes them not normal? Or my cousin who has CF and cant study regularly because of her sickness, that isn't normal? It's a freedom of choice what they want to and don't want to engage in.

And they have problems? Honey everyone has problems, every single one of us, some people don't like showcasing it and thats up to them, If you don't like that they don't showcase the issues of their private lives, that's fine you don't have to watch their videos. Whatever you want to relate to, relate to it. I don't think there is a need to be calling out on something you dislike because how is their uploads and contents affecting you? Has it affected you personally? No. So if you want to share any inspiring/ gratitude comments to the ones you actually enjoy, yeah you can discuss that in their feed and such. Personally, if you can't relate to something and have different views upon a topic, you don't need to sit there, watch the video and question why other people enjoy the content just because you don't. Bruhhhh just you do you.:confused:

Thank you! I don’t understand. She created this thread to just complain about a bunch of people who live a different life to hers, no one is making you watch the video ffs
Original post by summer207
Thank you! I don’t understand. She created this thread to just complain about a bunch of people who live a different life to hers, no one is making you watch the video ffs

Alie, I don't understand, why isn't she comparing her life to Hitler instead loool?
I honestly cannot stand the vast majority of them.
Original post by PrazzPrazz
Alie, I don't understand, why isn't she comparing her life to Hitler instead loool?

It’s a valid criticism and people are allowed their own opinions.

You’re clearly fans of them but all of them are in it for the money at the end of the day. Jade makes T-Shirts simply with the word “study” on them and sells them for £20 so impressionable teenagers buy them. All credit to her but people seem to idolise people like Jade and Ruby.

When they didn’t get into Oxford, people hounded Oxford’s social media complaining about them not getting in it’s just stupid.

And I’m all for individuality but Ruby writing with an ink pen and quill is just pretentious and silly.

Latest

Trending

Trending