The Student Room Group

Funding graduate entry medicine

Hi, I have been told that because I have a previous degree that I can not apply for graduate entry medicine as I can’t have another student loan. I have been told I have what I need to apply for medicine (I am an ODP) and wish to study medicine but unfortunately the funding of the course is proving hard. Is there people out there with any ideas or information on what other options there is at all? I was really excited about the whole idea and now I feel like I’ve no way of affording it. Is there any reliable loan companies does anyone know at all? Thank you in advance

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Carleyodp
Hi, I have been told that because I have a previous degree that I can not apply for graduate entry medicine as I can’t have another student loan. I have been told I have what I need to apply for medicine (I am an ODP) and wish to study medicine but unfortunately the funding of the course is proving hard. Is there people out there with any ideas or information on what other options there is at all? I was really excited about the whole idea and now I feel like I’ve no way of affording it. Is there any reliable loan companies does anyone know at all? Thank you in advance

Spoiler

Hi there.

Graduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry courses are classed as an exception and we can offer funding for them. Can you please clarify what specific reason you were told to be made ineligible? Is this something that one of our advisors advised? Can you provide your course and university details?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 2
Hi, I was told because I have a previous degree that I was not eligible for the student loan from SFA. I want to do the MBBS medicine course at UCLan over 5 years. I know nhs bursary and funding fund some of the fees from years 2-4 for graduate entry but I would need funding for the 5 year course (so over 4. Years I would need SFE loan) but I was told I could not have this because of my previous degree but I only had maintenance loans previously my last course was nhs funded for the actual fees. Thank you
Hi, I was told because I have a previous degree that I was not eligible for the student loan from SFA. I want to do the MBBS medicine course at UCLan over 5 years. I know nhs bursary and funding fund some of the fees from years 2-4 for graduate entry but I would need funding for the 5 year course (so over 4. Years I would need SFE loan) but I was told I could not have this because of my previous degree but I only had maintenance loans previously my last course was nhs funded for the actual fees. Thank you

So I have checked the course and it is over all designated for finance, but because it's longer than 5 years then it will be funded as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course. This is how funding would work for a Graduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry course:

Tuition Fee Support

Year 1: The student will have to self fund the first £3465, however a Tuition Fee Loan will be available for the remainder up to £5,785.

Years 2 to 4: The first £3715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a Tuition Fee Loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5535.

Maintenance Support
Year 1: The student can apply for a full means tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants.

Years 2 to 4: The student is eligible to apply for the income assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to us for a reduced rate Maintenance Loan.

This is how funding is for an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry course:

Students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study which is subject to previous study rules. Students who hold an Equivalent Level Qualification will eligible for a Maintenance Loan only and this is for the first 4 years of their course. In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of Maintenance Loan only from us.

Based on the length of your course, your funding would then be the latter even though it's a Graduate Entry Medicine Course.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 4
Thank you. So would I be able to apply for a tuition fee loan if I have had a previous degree ? It’s the tuition fee that I need that is holding me back really? I do not know how I would find the fees . Can I use maintenance loans to pay for some of the fees Nd work along side the course ?
Thank you

Carley
Thank you. So would I be able to apply for a tuition fee loan if I have had a previous degree ? It’s the tuition fee that I need that is holding me back really? I do not know how I would find the fees . Can I use maintenance loans to pay for some of the fees Nd work along side the course ?
Thank you

Carley

You would not be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan due to the length of the course, but you are free to use your Maintenance Loan for this purpose.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 6
Thanks so much this is great :smile:
Thanks so much this is great :smile:

You're very welcome :smile:
Let us know if we can be of further help!

Best wishes,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending