Student finance / maintenance grant help NI Watch

Anon19981
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a northern irish student planning on moving to Liverpool to study. I come from a very low income family and apparently the max maintenance grant/ loan I can get is a combined sum of £6428 - this barley covers my accommodation costs of which will be £130 a week! I’ve read that the maximum loan available is nearly £9000 , is this just available for English students? Why haven’t I been counted as eligible for the highest amount of support? At this rate I’ll not be going to university in September and I’m heartbroken ):
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anon19981)
I’m a northern irish student planning on moving to Liverpool to study. I come from a very low income family and apparently the max maintenance grant/ loan I can get is a combined sum of £6428 - this barley covers my accommodation costs of which will be £130 a week! I’ve read that the maximum loan available is nearly £9000 , is this just available for English students? Why haven’t I been counted as eligible for the highest amount of support? At this rate I’ll not be going to university in September and I’m heartbroken ):
The English loan rates are much higher. Student funding is devolved and unfortunately you can’t get the English loans unless you are classed as ordinarily resident in England.

If you’re eligible for the highest level of support from NI then you’ll usually get extra funding and bursaries from your university too (eg Liverpool university gives £2k per year to students with a household income below £25k).

Can you find more affordable accommodation?
Student Roost
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
The English loan rates are much higher. Student funding is devolved and unfortunately you can’t get the English loans unless you are classed as ordinarily resident in England.

If you’re eligible for the highest level of support from NI then you’ll usually get extra funding and bursaries from your university too (eg Liverpool university gives £2k per year to students with a household income below £25k).

Hi! We do have accommodation that's more affordable than £130 per week as our prices start at £109 so you'd save yourself a bit more money!
Anon19981
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)

I’ve found accomadation @ £110 / wk. Still absolutely extortionate. Something has to change, no wonder so many working class students feel that Uni isn’t for them. I’m not going to let into defeat me, I’ll starve if i have to haha. Thank you for your advice.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anon19981)
I’ve found accomadation @ £110 / wk. Still absolutely extortionate. Something has to change, no wonder so many working class students feel that Uni isn’t for them. I’m not going to let into defeat me, I’ll starve if i have to haha. Thank you for your advice.
Good luck. Make sure that you talk to your university students support team as soon as you can to apply for any additional support that might be available. Hardship funds and similar all help! And try to get work for your university - student ambassadors usually get paid quite well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads